• View Poll Results: which one?
    Physics
    41.33%
    Biology
    28.43%
    Chemistry
    30.24%

ReputationRep:
    Physics!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: ;thumbsup; Biology is too boring and Chem is just crap!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appanouki)
    I still believe we know less about physics than any other subject which is what makes it so interesting. and im not sure I agree about it being disconnected from the other sciences.16 Hours Ago 19:24
    I'm not sure how you can justify that first statement I would be interested to here your thoughts on that.

I've never argued that physics as a whole was seperated (I work with physicists on a daily basis and my research is both physics and chemistry), but theoretical physics is distanced from the rest of science (including experimental physics). It does irk me (as it does experimental physicists) that theoretical physicists often regard themselves as on a 'higher level' than us experimentalists.

There are many key questions still to be answered in all areas of science. For instance the study of the brain is probably just as far off total understanding as the study of fundamental forces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    I'm not sure how you can justify that first statement I would be interested to here your thoughts on that.

I've never argued that physics as a whole was seperated (I work with physicists on a daily basis and my research is both physics and chemistry), but theoretical physics is distanced from the rest of science (including experimental physics). It does irk me (as it does experimental physicists) that theoretical physicists often regard themselves as on a 'higher level' than us experimentalists.

There are many key questions still to be answered in all areas of science. For instance the study of the brain is probably just as far off total understanding as the study of fundamental forces.
    "I've never argued that physics as a whole was seperated (I work with physicists on a daily basis and my research is both physics and chemistry), but theoretical physics is distanced from the rest of science (including experimental physics)." - lol you've got me stumped man, as far as I'm concerned theoretical + experimental = all of physics

I think I know why theoretical physicsists carry that arrogance, it is for the same reason I like physics... hard to articulate... it's the pure speculation and almost philosophical aspect which makes it so enjoyable. understand?

ReputationRep:
    "I've never argued that physics as a whole was seperated (I work with physicists on a daily basis and my research is both physics and chemistry), but theoretical physics is distanced from the rest of science (including experimental physics)." - lol you've got me stumped man, as far as I'm concerned theoretical + experimental = all of physics
    Erm, no you've got me stumped. All I'm trying to say is that theoretical physics is distanced from the rest of science by the gap between then in terms of knowledge and understanding, until that is resolved the distance will remain.

I think I know why theoretical physicsists carry that arrogance, it is for the same reason I like physics... hard to articulate... it's the pure speculation and almost philosophical aspect which makes it so enjoyable. understand?
    I understand, but at the same time I don't feel it is justified. We all feel the same about our own areas of study and are biased towards them - this bias however must not be mistaken for superiority. There have been a great many great scientists and great discoveries outside theoretical physics, to pass them off as 'stamp collecting' (as Ernest Rutherford supposedly did) is arrogant to the point of insult. You may feel that theortical physics is the best thing since sliced bread and that is great, but turning that into a serious arguement about its superiority over other branches of science is going too far.

ReputationRep:
    Have I appeared arrogant? I was trying to explain why that arrogance exists in others... and people in all different fields are arrogant, especially medicine which is a whole new rant. I do feel that physics is more open ended and undiscovered than other fields though which leaves more room for 'philosophy and speculation', we enjoy talking to each other about our thoughts for this reason.

I misunderstood you before, I thought you were grouping experimental physics with theoretical, not the rest of science lol. my bad.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry pwnz your momma!

ReputationRep:
    Have I appeared arrogant? I was trying to explain why that arrogance exists in others... and people in all different fields are arrogant, especially medicine which is a whole new rant. I do feel that physics is more open ended and undiscovered than other fields though which leaves more room for 'philosophy and speculation', we enjoy talking to each other about our thoughts for this reason.
    I was using the impersonal, hypothetical 'you' not actually refering to yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry Rocks!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Or even the 'humble' cell. In reality, very little is known about most aspects of biology. Should we have the nuts and bolts, but when it comes to the myrad of interactions between all these components, we really know very little!

ReputationRep:
    I still believe we know less about physics than any other subject which is what makes it so interesting. and im not sure I agree about it being disconnected from the other sciences.
    agreed...

also, string theory seems to shed some light on the unknown...
    and in 12th Aug's New Scientist, there was a feature on how different particles may be different warps of space-time...
    basically another theory...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ljlindley)
    Chemistry Rocks!!!!!!!!!
    No, geology rocks.

*Waits expectantly for laugh*
    *Gets bored and gives up*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harr)
    No, geology rocks.

*Waits expectantly for laugh*
    *Gets bored and gives up*
    That joke is getting so old it's funny. Or is it just me that finds it kind of, sometimes, really quite funny?

...... Yes, anyway...

I like biology and physics. More specifically the ecology/animal/plant/evolution part of biology and more theoretical parts of physics. They don't really compliment each other all that well but I'm trying to find courses (at the moment biology since I think I like it a bit more) that let me take a little it of physics at least to 1st year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kasias)
    That joke is getting so old it's funny. Or is it just me that finds it kind of, sometimes, really quite funny?
    I laughed when I first heard it...

I still prefer the biochemistry joke, which I've posted already once today, but it has to be relevant in a subforum about biology and chemistry, so I'll post it again:

A biochemist walks into a bar.
    He says to the barman "A pint of adenosine triphosphate, please"
    "Certainly", came the reply... "that'll be 80p"

ReputationRep:
    Physics, wooohooo!

ReputationRep:
    physics ftw!
    i'm surprised that it is doing so well, given the relatively few Physics topics on this part of the forum.

ReputationRep:
    CHEMISTRY CHEMISTRY CHEMISTRY CHEMISTRY CHEMISTRY.
    interesting, poetic, funny, quirky and a great way to meet strange people dressed in tweed. Although i must say that physics is equally interesting but in the words of someone far more intelligent than me " i lack the imagination to be a physicist" (he was a chemist). hmm

ReputationRep:
    For me it will always be physics, especially if its for studying the rest of my life. I lost biology after GCSE, and am finding chemistry quite boring now. But thats probably a reflection on my teaching more then anything else.

But I will add this. In march I went on an ISCO course to RAL and CERN, where I got to see and talk to people who study physics for the rest of their life, and what I saw there made me contemplate doing so myself. Now you may say that if I also saw people who do chemistry and biology for their lives then I'd be similarly convinced, but I've done work exp in a R&D chem lab, and it didn't make the same impression on me.

ReputationRep:
    Biology! Although there's a lot to learn, the human parts are extremely fascinating.

(In the context of A level...)
    Its the only subject out of the three which hasn't been 'dumbed down'. That may be a reflection on its original difficulty, but lets assume its not and say that Biology doesn't exude that same patronising whiff which is found throughout the Physics and Chemistry papers.

ReputationRep:
    I believe chemistry is the best. I have taken Biology and Chemistry out of the three at A-level, and wish i would have taken physics over Biology becuase honestly, biology is a poor attempt at a subject lol. It's boring in all aspects, especially the genetics parts. Physics is great, even with the limited knowledge i have i know this, it explains the basis of everything. The other sciences think they are doing this, but arnt(biology especially which is just working backwards). However since I have taken chemistry and enjoy it alot, im going to choose it.

ReputationRep:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 6, 2010

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.