The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Eau
Chemistry. I love both the practical and theory side of Chemistry.

Physics is damn boring. Equations, equations...

Biology is not challenging at all.

Life can be explained in terms of quantum mechanics. It just depends on how deep u go in studying phenomena of life at the molecular level. For example it is because of orbital hybridizations that makes atoms such as carbon have such unique properties in which life is possible. Also even in advanced physiology textbooks in which u would think is all decriptive facts there is also a multitude of equations synonomous with equations from physics and also some more new equations-hence the field of biophysics comes into play hehe. People who think biology is all about looking at plants and animals and making observations couldn't be further than wrong. Perhaps it is because of different educational systems. Cos I'm doing a BIOMEDICINE course (basically a merger of biology and medicine, namely the applications of biology in medical research=biomedical research) in Australia and it is my first semester of my first year and I'm doing uni level maths, organic chemistry and general biology. Next semester I have more biology and have a statistics subject along with physics. My point is that to really understand the full aspect of modern biology you need to have a good grasp of most sciences and be able to apply them specifically to living systems.

No science is superior to another, they all of profound influences for our society, some in dramatic ways, some in subtle but equally significant ways. The fact is at an advanced level all of them essentially interact with each other on a regular basis.

Nanotechnology for example requires knowledge in many sciences and certainly also require significant knowlege in computing, mathematics and engineering etc etc.
Comp_Genius
Only because useless ecology is in it....

What the hell! Ecology is not useless! For example environmental scientists utilize knowledge in ecology along with other sciences to assess our environment...isn't that important!? Studying the interactions between the biosphere and the physical environment has profound influences for us humans in decision making. Ecology can for example help predict the exact consequences of clearing forests and bushfires and it's impact on our ecosystem, both on land on in the oceans. Don't we humans need food and resources to survive. Whether we like it or not we all live in the biosphere and so ecology is actually a very important science although might seem less interesting to some. I'm doing BIOMEDICINE and I like ecology cos of it's potential and scope and power to combine with knowlege of climate and help us predict consequences of our actions on the planet. Believe it or not ecology is a crucial science and hence ecologists r important life scientists along with biochemists/molecular biologists, biotechnologists and many other biologists. Muahaha
philthechemist
Life can be explained in terms of quantum mechanics. It just depends on how deep u go in studying phenomena of life at the molecular level. For example it is because of orbital hybridizations that makes atoms such as carbon have such unique properties in which life is possible. Also even in advanced physiology textbooks in which u would think is all decriptive facts there is also a multitude of equations synonomous with equations from physics and also some more new equations-hence the field of biophysics comes into play hehe. People who think biology is all about looking at plants and animals and making observations couldn't be further than wrong. Perhaps it is because of different educational systems. Cos I'm doing a BIOMEDICINE course (basically a merger of biology and medicine, namely the applications of biology in medical research=biomedical research) in Australia and it is my first semester of my first year and I'm doing uni level maths, organic chemistry and general biology. Next semester I have more biology and have a statistics subject along with physics. My point is that to really understand the full aspect of modern biology you need to have a good grasp of most sciences and be able to apply them specifically to living systems.

No science is superior to another, they all of profound influences for our society, some in dramatic ways, some in subtle but equally significant ways. The fact is at an advanced level all of them essentially interact with each other on a regular basis.

Nanotechnology for example requires knowledge in many sciences and certainly also require significant knowlege in computing, mathematics and engineering etc etc.

sounds pretty easy to me
Physics, i so wish i'd done it :frown:
Reply 364
As everyone knows biology is just a branch of chemistry so its between pysics and chemistry really.

Personally its chemistry for me since while physics is fasinating and all it just seems to lead to a whole new set of questions as soon as you answer one.
Reply 365
Physics
Reply 366
bembleman
As everyone knows biology is just a branch of chemistry so its between pysics and chemistry really.

Personally its chemistry for me since while physics is fasinating and all it just seems to lead to a whole new set of questions as soon as you answer one.

Do you really consider the likes of ecology and evolutionary biology to be within the scope of chemistry?
Reply 367
I adore Physics and Biology. I despise chemistry. But if I had to choose, i'd go with Biology because it would make sense about how the human body adapts and behaves to conditions.
Reply 368
Physics is EVERYTHING in science!
Reply 369
I love Biology and Chemistry - I just don't find Physics as interesting. Probably Biology over Chemistry though.
Breakthroughs in physics has made it possible for us to have our; toaster, camera, TV, radio, CD player, CD disks and computers. Without physics we would not be on tsr! It is by far the most interesting science subject that should be studied at university

It has also given us lasers and MRI scans , it also showed us the structure of DNA (and therefore how genes work ).

Biology can be a hobby it is just facts , you can buy a university level book and read it over the summer.

Chemistry is pretty dull unless you like to know the PH of plants or enjoy learning molecules off by hart.

Some people "fear" physics , it aint easy!
Reply 371
Jack Sparrow
Breakthroughs in physics has made it possible for us to have our; toaster, camera, TV, radio, CD player, CD disks and computers. Without physics we would not be on tsr! It is by far the most interesting science subject that should be studied at university

It has also given us lasers and MRI scans , it also showed us the structure of DNA (and therefore how genes work ).

Biology can be a hobby it is just facts , you can buy a university level book and read it over the summer.

Chemistry is pretty dull unless you like to know the PH of plants or enjoy learning molecules off by hart.

Some people "fear" physics , it aint easy!

Physics alone would not have got medical science where it is today - chemistry and biology have had an important role there. I'm not saying physics hasn't been important in the development of medical equipment, but what good is the medical equipment if you know nothing about human anatomy and biochemistry, etc?

You say physics showed us the structure of DNA - and, yes, that's great - but it is geneticists (i.e. biologists) who have taken that and made use of it.

Physics has been an important tool in our progress as a civilisation, no doubt, but to imply that the other two are somehow insignificant is just ego-boosting and not something any serious scientist should be saying, in my opinion.
windsock
Physics alone would not have got medical science where it is today - chemistry and biology have had an important role there. I'm not saying physics hasn't been important in the development of medical equipment, but what good is the medical equipment if you know nothing about human anatomy and biochemistry, etc?

You say physics showed us the structure of DNA - and, yes, that's great - but it is geneticists (i.e. biologists) who have taken that and made use of it.

Physics has been an important tool in our progress as a civilisation, no doubt, but to imply that the other two are somehow insignificant is just ego-boosting and not something any serious scientist should be saying, in my opinion.

Chemistry and biology are watered down physics. They came off physics because they were so easy (ohhh omg omg a molecule) or (oh right then that birds beak is 5 cm less then that one , evolution evolution).
Reply 373
Jack Sparrow
Chemistry and biology are watered down physics. They came off physics because they were so easy (ohhh omg omg a molecule) or (oh right then that birds beak is 5 cm less then that one , evolution evolution).

But biology and chemistry didn't "come off" physics. My knowledge of the history of science is sketchy, but the three fields arose quite separately as I remember. It's only recently that the lines have been blurred.
Jack Sparrow

:toofunny:

You obviously know nothing about evolution.
Reply 375
They aren't watered down physics at all. By physics being a pure science we mean that we could scientifically derive the process of evolution all the way down to physics, but an evolutionary biologist isn't going to do that because it's simply not relevant to them.

A person with a physics degree isn't going to magically going to be able to physically explain how one would end up with evolution either!
Original post by &#946
:toofunny:

You obviously know nothing about evolution.

Someone who has a physics degree can look at evolution on the toilet, its really not that hard. Gene pool this , duplication gene over there .
Reply 377
Jack Sparrow
Someone who has a physics degree can look at evolution on the toilet, its really not that hard. Gene pool this , duplication gene over there .

You do realise that evolution is only available in books for the public because biologists went out and researched it first? I promise you it hasn't always been easily accessible.
BioSam
You do realise that evolution is only available in books for the public because biologists went out and researched it first? I promise you it hasn't always been easily accessible.

Your arugment is flawed , biology / evolution is very easy to understand, its like saying we have the alphabet because people with an english degree wrote a book on it . People who do physics could talk about evolution and write a book about it on the way to important physics work. They leave it to biologists because they feel sorry for them.

What do you mean by " biologists went out and researched it first" what makes someone a biologist? Anyone can become a biologist , i look at evolution therefore i am a biologist. Look at any evolution book they will allways include physics and "put it to one side".

After physicists are done with biology they use the notes as toilet paper for their important physics work.
Jack Sparrow

That doesn't even make any sense. What is your argument, that biology is easier therefore less important that physics?

Latest

Trending

Trending