Report 14 years ago
there is lots of physics in biology!
LennonMcCartney
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
If physics is so great, how come you physicists don't do any experiments in it? You just leave us chemists to clear up after you while you think about silly superstrings and stuff!
You've got to be kidding, right?

Physics is split into two halves -- theoretical physics and experimental physics. And both halves feed off each other.

Anyway, Chemistry is merely a subset of physics where you make lots of assumptions. For example, physics will describe how the components in an atom behave, as well as the nucleus, it's components, the spacetime they inhabit, fundamental interactions etc. All chemistry does is study the behaviour of atoms and molecules. Physics really explains why that is!

Biology is an odd mix of various stuff.
material breach
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by LennonMcCartney)
he is i believe....
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Physics is split into two halves -- theoretical physics and experimental physics. And both halves feed off each other.

Anyway, Chemistry is merely a subset of physics where you make lots of assumptions. For example, physics will describe how the components in an atom behave, as well as the nucleus, it's components, the spacetime they inhabit, fundamental interactions etc. All chemistry does is study the behaviour of atoms and molecules. Physics really explains why that is!

Biology is an odd mix of various stuff.
Chemistry explains why as well - why else would 1/3 of my modules this year be dedicated to teaching me quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and the likes?
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Joke? :confused: Physics isn't split at all, and if it was it would be in such as simplistic way anyway.

"all chemistry does is study the behaviour of atoms and molecules"

I'll get me coat...

Quite how you can use that sentence to belittle chemistry is quite beyond me. Chemistry is actually the study of the electron in atoms and molcules (or more correctly confined (quantum) systems), but I guess you really knew that.

The problem is there is no line between the sciences, they are just science. The research I do could be carried out by a physicist too. Chemists are taught and use physical principles like quantum mechanics. Computational and Theoretical Chemists develop quantum mechanics and other physical theories within chemistry (i.e. we have theorists too).

Basically when you get to a proper level of understanding in science, such high school divisions are a bit meaningless.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Phil23)
physics is the second best on that poll...wheres Maths!?!?!?!?!?!?! :confused: surely thats got to be the best!
Maths isn't a natural science.
shiny
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Basically when you get to a proper level of understanding in science, such high school divisions are a bit meaningless.
Yeah, you're not going to be a very good cell biologist if you don't know about optics and microscopy!
Font
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Maths isn't a natural science.
who specified it had to be...the original poster said:

"if you had to pick one subject to do for the rest of your life...
which one would you go for?
pick the one that you find the easiest or most enjoyable...

mine's physics"

and i'm replying MATHS easiest and most enjoyable for me
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Phil23)
who specified it had to be...the original poster said:
Then the poster gave you a choice of one of the natural sciences, this being posted on the bio,phys + chem board too. I thought it was quite strongly implied that it was restricted to the natural sciences.
BCHL85
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Maths is not natural science, but Chem and Phy sciences can't develop without it, although we don't understand how it's involved. Like Schrodinger wave equation ... hardly someone understand what he did, but it's applied in both Physics and Chemistry.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BCHL85)
Maths is not natural science, but Chem and Phy sciences can't develop without it, although we don't understand how it's involved. Like Schrodinger wave equation ... hardly someone understand what he did, but it's applied in both Physics and Chemistry.
Of course, mathematics is the language of science.
BCHL85
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Of course, mathematics is the language of science.
That's good definition
LennonMcCartney
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Joke? :confused: Physics isn't split at all, and if it was it would be in such as simplistic way anyway.
You'll find that the theorists come up with new things for experimentalists to verify or show is wrong, and experimentalists find new phenomena for theorists to explain.

Quite how you can use that sentence to belittle chemistry is quite beyond me. Chemistry is actually the study of the electron in atoms and molcules (or more correctly confined (quantum) systems), but I guess you really knew that.
Before you make any dangerous assumptions, I think you might want to know that I do Physics at university, and yes, I know quantum mechanics. Hilbert spaces, Hermitian operators and all their glory. And yes all it's alternative formulations. Path integral approach. I assume most of what you do is solve the Schrodinger equation to determine energy eigenvalues. Ever have to treat Weyl ordering? How operators are combined? Show how classical mechanics is the limiting case of quantum mechanics? Understand canonical quantization? Show how we can go from classical field theory with their Lagrangians to quantum field theory by quantizing the operators and satisfying the uncertainty non-commutativity requirements?

By doing that (and a whole host of more stuff) we can arrive at QED, and truly explain the behaviour of charged particles in quantum electrodynamic fields.

Which science goes into more depth and detail? Chemistry or physics? Which subject is studying the true reality, as opposed to just a very small number of limited bound systems, which are really the exception in the universe?

It's also interesting that the theorists of chemistry (I never denied there were any) are generally relying on physics principles to come up with results (e.g. you referred to quantum mechanics - which is clearly physics). Also, a biologist somewhere, referred to the use of optics and microscopy, again things from physics.

All other sciences are subsets (couldn't find a better word at this time of night) of physics, where they make certain assumptions, so that their analysis can be more detailed.

Furthermore, as you say, mathematics is indeed the language of science. And physics employs more mathematics than any other science, without a shadow of a doubt (please doubt me on this, so I can respond...) and therefore physics is the purest science. Again doesn't make it the best, but it definitely is the more fundamental, and fundamental = important to me. There is undoubtedly more beauty and symmetry in physics more than any other natural science.

Again, as you say, the lines do become blurred, but one subject stands above the rest of them -- pure fundamental physics. Everything else is secondary to that.
LennonMcCartney
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
Chemistry explains why as well - why else would 1/3 of my modules this year be dedicated to teaching me quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and the likes?
Which shows that chemistry relies on physics to explain things, which shows physics is the "better" natural science.
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Which shows that chemistry relies on physics to explain things, which shows physics is the "better" natural science.
I hope that was tongue-in-cheek...
galadriel100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well, I do chemistry, so I have to say chem. I was going to do physics, but German clashed with it.
My chem teacher seemed a little freaky at first, but now's his lessons are always interesting. He calls chem 'Godology' and we have to sit up straight in the temple of 'Godology'
He says Chemistry is the subject of the gods(therefor the best), because everything God made is made out of stuff to do with chem.
shiny
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
blah blah blah
Is this what you tell your girlfriend when you go home at the end of the day? :confused:
LennonMcCartney
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by shiny)
Is this what you tell your girlfriend when you go home at the end of the day? :confused:
That's not very nice shiny Anyway, I currently do not have a girlfriend -- no one can put up with John's cutting wit and Paul's big head at the same time. I'll find someone though...
amicus
Report 14 years ago
physics definitely..not only cos it sounds clever but also because it is fascinating..!!!
Just Grow up
Report 14 years ago
Biology :rolleyes: I guess it's because I don't like the other two subjects teacher at my school
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (152)
59.61%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.65%

Watched Threads