This discussion is closed.
Davido
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Whilst for P3 and S1 there was plenty of time to revise as there were no other exams if you're in
the 2nd year, this ain't the case for M2! I assume you're all revising for bio, chem and physics
right now, not that much time for M2...

It seems harder to revise than P3/S1 were... but that's just me. Stress = knowing that less than 90
in M2 means not going to oxford :-S

Good luck
Andrew Hollingb
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Davido" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> Whilst for P3 and S1 there was plenty of time to revise as there were no other exams if you're in[/q1]
[q1]> the 2nd year, this ain't the case for M2! I assume you're all revising for bio, chem and physics[/q1]
[q1]> right now, not that much time for M2...[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> It seems harder to revise than P3/S1 were... but that's just me. Stress = knowing that less than[/q1]
[q1]> 90 in M2 means not going to oxford :-S[/q1]

Really, don't panic!

Do you know what you got in P3/S1 already? Efficient teaching, no doubt...

Even if you don't get the grade, Oxford CAN be lenient - I know someone who had an AAB offer who got
ABC and still got in for their course. Just be really keen on the phone on results day (only joking,
I'm sure you'll get the grades!)

Andrew H (not so sure for himself however... very glad I did M2 in January as well, as I had Greek
this afternoon!)
Davido
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> Do you know what you got in P3/S1 already? I know my raw marks are around 67% and 92% from[/q1]
[q1]> www.risctex.freeuk.com[/q1]

Efficient teaching, no doubt... Huh? Sorry dont get what u mean!

[q1]> Even if you don't get the grade, Oxford CAN be lenient - I know someone who had an AAB offer who[/q1]
[q1]> got ABC and still got in for their course.[/q1]
Problem for me is everyone else at my college for the course was asked for AAA, I was the only 1
asked for AAB cos I did well in my interview, so if I get ABB it's unlikely they'll let me in when
everyone else has AAA! And even so, I really wouldn't be happy with myself with ABB...

[q1]> Just be really keen on the phone on results day (only joking, I'm sure you'll get the grades!)[/q1]
Our school phone up the unis when they get the results 2 days in advance of us knowing them. I'm not
confident about this idea, I'd sound keener on the phone and be able to point out "I was 1 mark out
of 600 off" or for literature "We had no teacher for 2 months!!!" rather than a teacher "Erm he's
erm good and erm let him erm in".
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> (glad I did M2 in January as well, as I had Greek this afternoon!)[/q1]
Someone came out of M2 saying "It all seemed Greek to me". Ho ho ho...
Matthew M. Hunt
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Davido ([email protected]) wrote:

[q2]> > Just be really keen on the phone on results day (only joking, I'm sure you'll get the grades!)[/q2]

[q1]> Our school phone up the unis when they get the results 2 days in advance of us knowing them. I'm[/q1]
[q1]> not confident about this idea, I'd sound keener on the phone and be able to point out "I was 1[/q1]
[q1]> mark out of 600 off" or for literature "We had no teacher for 2 months!!!" rather than a teacher[/q1]
[q1]> "Erm he's erm good and erm let him erm in".[/q1]

I'll make my usual point on this.

As an admissions tutor I DON'T want to be phoned up by people who've just missed the grade. I don't
know why this advice is given out - even by my own university institution. When I asked them why
they do it, they didn't know either, it just seems one of those pieces of advice that is given out
because it is always given out.

What I want to do when I get the A-level results in and decide who I am going to give places to out
of those who haven't quite made the grades I asked for is peace and quiet. I do NOT NOT NOT want my
time wasted dealing with large numbers of sob stories from either students or their teachers. All I
can say to anyone who pesters me in this way is "I will make my decision as soon as possible and let
you know, in the meantime please stop bothering me, it won't have any effect". In particular, since
we generally do take a few applicants through clearing, I want my phone line clear so any good
clearing applicants can get through to me, I don't want it blocked by someone telling me a long and
involved story about how their cat got run over on A-level day etc etc etc.

If someone has a reason to believe their A-level result may have been affected by something that
took place at exam time, the time to make that point is NOW. I will take the point seriously if it
is made before the A-level results come out, I will assume it is just an invented excuse if the
first time I hear it is after the A-level results come out and someone hasn't made the grade.

I wish that UCAS and everyone else involved were to give out the advice "Don't phone admissions
tutors if you haven't got the grades asked for, they will make their decision and let you know".
This stupid "phone up and beg" advice seems to suggest that university places should be given to
those who are able most successfully to tug heartstrings. That is just about the worst way possible
to allocate places.

Matthew Huntbach
Dr A. N. Walker
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
In article <[email protected]> , Matthew M. Huntbach <[email protected]> wrote:
[q2]>> > Just be really keen on the phone on results day [...][/q2]
[q2]>> Our school phone up the unis when they get the results [...][/q2]
[q1]>As an admissions tutor I DON'T want to be phoned up by people who've just missed the grade. [...][/q1]

Absolutely. Indeed, at Nottingham, it's a COMPLETE WASTE OF YOUR TIME, as well as mine. By
Tuesday [Aug 13th, this year], it's completely out of my hands. I will have drawn up a
short-list of near misses that we're prepared to take, and the Registrar will tell me how
far down that list we can go. 'Phone the univ hot-line, and they will tell you whether
you're in, out or pending [eg 'cos you're out for us but being considered for a place on
some other course].

One of these years, I'm going to get my act together and be on holiday that week. Then you
can all 'phone as much as you like.

--
Andy Walker, School of MathSci., Univ. of Nott'm, UK. [email protected]
Andrew Hollingb
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Davido" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q2]> > Do you know what you got in P3/S1 already? I know my raw marks are[/q2]
around 67% and 92% from www.risctex.freeuk.com

[q1]> Efficient teaching, no doubt... Huh? Sorry dont get what u mean![/q1]

Some teachers at our school go through all the papers with the correct answers with their students
- not ours.

Andrew H
Alex Warren
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Dr A. N. Walker wrote:

[q1]> In article <[email protected]> , Matthew M. Huntbach <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q2]> >> > Just be really keen on the phone on results day [...][/q2]
[q2]> >> Our school phone up the unis when they get the results [...][/q2]
[q2]> >As an admissions tutor I DON'T want to be phoned up by people who've just missed the grade. [...][/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Absolutely. Indeed, at Nottingham, it's a COMPLETE WASTE OF YOUR TIME, as well as mine. By[/q1]
[q1]> Tuesday [Aug 13th, this year], it's completely out of my hands. I will have drawn up a[/q1]
[q1]> short-list of near misses that we're prepared to take, and the Registrar will tell me how[/q1]
[q1]> far down that list we can go. 'Phone the univ hot-line, and they will tell you whether[/q1]
[q1]> you're in, out or pending [eg 'cos you're out for us but being considered for a place on[/q1]
[q1]> some other course].[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> One of these years, I'm going to get my act together and be on holiday that week. Then you[/q1]
[q1]> can all 'phone as much as you like.[/q1]

Do you and Matthew mind if I add some version of your posts on this subject to the AUA FAQ (
http://www.axeuk.com/aua/faq.txt )? Might help to spread the word a bit.

Alex
Dr A. N. Walker
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
In article <t8k1hus1fbi2hssemh157ld8hi2bp1t [email protected]>, Alex Warren
<[email protected]> wrote:
[q2]>> >> Our school phone up the unis when they get the results [...][/q2]
[q2]>> >As an admissions tutor I DON'T want to be phoned up by people who've just missed the[/q2]
[q2]>> >grade. [...][/q2]
[q2]>> Absolutely. Indeed, at Nottingham, it's a COMPLETE WASTE OF YOUR TIME, as well as mine.[/q2]
[q2]>> [...][/q2]
[q1]>Do you and Matthew mind if I add some version of your posts on this subject to the AUA FAQ ([/q1]
[q1]>http://www.axeuk.com/aua/faq.txt )? Might help to spread the word a bit.[/q1]

I certainly don't! May need a "health warning", though; univs vary quite a lot. We have
formalised and automated our procedures very significantly over the last three or four
years; other univs may be well ahead of or behind us in this process. *Some* ATs, with large
quotas to fill and few applicants, may be agog to receive your calls [and e-mails].

Note, BTW, that the original comment was about 'phoning the *univ*; Matthew's comments and
mine are about 'phoning the *AT*. If you've just missed your grades, then of course you
will want to know what our decision is. That's what [in the case of Nott'm] the univ
"hotline" is for.

--
Andy Walker, School of MathSci., Univ. of Nott'm, UK. [email protected]
Matthew M. Hunt
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Dr A. N. Walker ([email protected]) wrote:

[q1]> I certainly don't! May need a "health warning", though; univs vary quite a lot. We have[/q1]
[q1]> formalised and automated our procedures very significantly over the last three or four[/q1]
[q1]> years; other univs may be well ahead of or behind us in this process. *Some* ATs, with large[/q1]
[q1]> quotas to fill and few applicants, may be agog to receive your calls [and e-mails].[/q1]

I was writing specifically about people who are already Firm or Insurance with us but who haven't
made the grades asked for. I have a large quota to fill, and not enough good applicants (plenty of
lousy ones though) to fill it up with, so I'm certainly agog to received phone calls when the
A-level results come out. But the phone calls I want to receive are from people whose first choice
was maybe Oxford or Cambridge or Imperial but fear their grades won't get them a place. I don't want
someone like that to find my phoneline engaged listening to a sob story from someone who is form
with us. The really good people who are looking for clearing places get snapped up very quickly,
chances are if they find your phone engaged they'll try somewhere else and you'll lose them.

[q1]> If you've just missed your grades, then of course you will want to know what our decision is.[/q1]
[q1]> That's what [in the case of Nott'm] the univ "hotline" is for.[/q1]

I do try to make all my decisions as soon as possible, so they're in the post by the time the
A-level results are public. In practice, anyone who is rejected by us will find the sort of place
that will take them on will have large numbers of clearing vacancies, so my advice would be to wait
a day or two and you'll find out if we've accepted you. But if you want reassurance try phoning a
few places to ask about clearing vacancies. Also, many applicants who get rejected for Computer
Science at Queen Mary get made alternative offers for computer-related courses from other
departments at QM. In fact, there's generally a bit of a scramble for our rejects from the other
admissions tutors.

Matthew Huntbach
Matthew M. Hunt
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Alex Warren ([email protected]) wrote:
[q1]> Dr A. N. Walker wrote:[/q1]
[q2]> > Matthew M. Huntbach <[email protected]> wrote:[/q2]

[q3]> > >As an admissions tutor I DON'T want to be phoned up by people who've just missed the grade.[/q3]
[q3]> > >[...][/q3]

[q2]> > Absolutely. Indeed, at Nottingham, it's a COMPLETE WASTE OF YOUR TIME, as well as mine.[/q2]

[q1]> Do you and Matthew mind if I add some version of your posts on this subject to the AUA FAQ ([/q1]
[q1]> http://www.axeuk.com/aua/faq.txt )? Might help to spread the word a bit.[/q1]

No problem, though I think you had better make clear it's a personal view, and not general
guidance. I was surprised to find out my own institutions sends puts out material advosing "Phone
the admissions tutor if you haven't made your grades" and they were surprised to find me
objecting to it.

Matthew Huntbach
Ginnie Redston
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Matthew M. Huntbach" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> Alex Warren ([email protected]) wrote:[/q1]
[q2]> > Dr A. N. Walker wrote:[/q2]
[q3]> > > Matthew M. Huntbach <[email protected]> wrote:[/q3]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q3]> > > >As an admissions tutor I DON'T want to be phoned up by people who've just missed the grade.[/q3]
[q3]> > > >[...][/q3]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q3]> > > Absolutely. Indeed, at Nottingham, it's a COMPLETE WASTE OF YOUR TIME, as well as mine.[/q3]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> > Do you and Matthew mind if I add some version of your posts on this subject to the AUA FAQ ([/q2]
[q2]> > http://www.axeuk.com/aua/faq.txt )? Might help to spread the word a bit.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> No problem, though I think you had better make clear it's a personal view, and not general[/q1]
[q1]> guidance. I was surprised to find out my own institutions sends puts out material advosing "Phone[/q1]
[q1]> the admissions tutor if you haven't made your grades" and they were surprised to find me[/q1]
[q1]> objecting to it.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Matthew Huntbach[/q1]

... And phoning does often seem to be productive, which is why I suggest doing so in Scintillae. I
think every single year when I've sent a panicking student to the nearest phone, they have
eventually got through and often get their places confirmed, or get slotted into a related course.
(In an example of the latter case a couple of years ago, Leicester's admissions office proved very
efficient, having taken over once the AT had confirmed that he couldn't accept stude on her first
choice of course.) In the case of my YO four years ago, the AT did tell her that they had decided on
the previous Tuesday that she would get an offer. (She'd obviously already got onto a short list
rather in the way Andy described in an earlier post.) But hearing the AT say she'd got in saved her
a horrible wait for the post.

Last year when a stude got BBD instead of ABC, (an A was normally a course requirement) and we had
reason to think that the D was at least in part down to poor teaching, a VeryNiceAT listened to the
stude, listened to me confirming stude, asked my colleague and I to confirm our opinion of stude's
ability in writing, which we did, and he phoned her with an offer the next day.

It must vary enormously, depending on the policy of the department and the popularity of the course.

Ginnie www.scintillae.org.uk
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (209)
33.49%
No (415)
66.51%

Watched Threads