Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    1) Inherit a Lordship (only 92 left in the House of Lords now)
    2) Be appointed as a Life Peer by the executive
    3) Be a Bishop
    4) Become a Law Lord
    5) Be nominated as a people's peer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Wow, one of my friend's middle names is Baron, now I know what his parents were thinking!

Anyway, I don't think people generally have much respect for hereditary titles like "Lord". I'd look up to Knights though... is a Dame also called a Knighthood?
    Dames and Knighthoods are pretty much similar but technically they aren't equivelant. Dames are fairly modern.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    1) Inherit a Lordship (only 92 left in the House of Lords now)
    2) Be appointed as a Life Peer by the executive
    3) Be a Bishop
    4) Become a Law Lord
    5) Be nominated as a people's peer.
    So which one are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    With Labour wanting to rid of hereditary peers it seems that unless you are one of his cronies you may not be appointed. You used to be able to buy titles by virtue of sponsoring political parties but that stopped decades ago.
    There are plenty of non-partisan Lords though - there are 183 cross-benchers. And the Leader of the Oppostion has the right to suggest possible peers and s/he normally gets quite a few in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    So which one are you?
    All of them

Or none.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    so from when were you not allowed to buy the title of lord? My parents bought a house and grounds and recieved the title in 1998 so technically they bought it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    so from when were you not allowed to buy the title of lord? My parents bought a house and grounds and recieved the title in 1998 so technically they bought it.
    I was thinking really of Lords as in members of the House of Lords. These are to whom we generally refer to when we talk of Lords.

Landed titles are a different matter and have no political power. Your parents don't have the right to a seat in the House of Lords.

ReputationRep:
    one becomes a lord through the delicate art of wipings one's bunsies with harrods tiolet paper
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by LH)
    I was thinking really of Lords as in members of the House of Lords. These are to whom we generally refer to when we talk of Lords.

Landed titles are a different matter and have no political power. Your parents don't have the right to a seat in the House of Lords.
    I realised that I think someone mentioned you can't buy it anymore but maybe I was mistaken

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    I realised that I think someone mentioned you can't buy it anymore but maybe I was mistaken
    You can buy titles - (http://www.elitetitles.net/) but some are different to others. They are hereditary but some can be bought with land. Some are Dukes, Barons etc.

But the political office of a Lord is detatched from that apart from the 92 remaining hereditary peers who'll probably be gone soon anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiccarpet)
    one becomes a lord through the delicate art of wipings one's bunsies with harrods tiolet paper
    I don't think that's a fair comment. There are a lot of ex-Labour, Lib Dem and even Tory peers who have a working or lower middle-class background.

Many of the non-partisan Lords are not privelaged either, Lord Abedowale springs to mind.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.