intellectual engaging topic!! what do you think about?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
biggadog
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
i have to do an essay that talks about something that i find intellectually engaging, well im really struggling cos there a few things but nothing that i really am solidly interested in
the few things i am interested in talking about are somewhat to vague or not actually intellectual engaging. e.g. i talked about the science of marketing, the psychological affect of it, specifically the .99 pricing scheme. But i dont thnk its a good thing to say as the answers are soo clear...
any ideas please.. what do you find intellectual engaging, what would your esasy be about? i'd like something to do with economics and finance please...

thanks in advance...

help me..
ashy
Badges: 17
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 13 years ago
The nature of consciousness. If I'm thinking in my head and think to myself "who said that", who said that?

These are the things that confound me :p:
LmnCD
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Origins of the Universe.
Moronic Acid
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ashy)
The nature of consciousness. If I'm thinking in my head and think to myself "who said that", who said that?

These are the things that confound me :p:
Read Daniel Dennett's 'Consciousness explained' - brilliant book
vin
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
I thought this was gonna be one of those ironic threads which consist of a pic of some tits:o::getmecoat:
ashy
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Adhavan)
Read Daniel Dennett's 'Consciousness explained' - brilliant book
A friend has leant it to me and it's sitting on a shelf. I've yet to have the time to actually read it, though :o:
Mrs.X
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
If we are in the world
And the world is in the Solar System
And the Solar System is in the Milky Way
And the Milky Way is in the universe..

WHERE THE HELL IS THE UNIVERSE?!
netprime
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by LmnCD)
Origins of the Universe.
How about, the universe was always there, it never began, yet it will never end, it is infinite.

That confuses me
DaveParlour
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Communism would be a contender for my choice. It's not strictly finance but it is economics, although i would tend to look at the human and philosophical nature of it over the economic practicalities.
fuzzymuff
Report 13 years ago
well what are you interested in?? it doesn't have to be quantum physics or moral philosophy to be intellectually demanding.

I'm interested in cricket, for an example. I could try and understand what affect cricket has on society somehow. I could try and understand how cricket is a relaxing game. What this means in neuroscience for example: What chemicals are released in the brain. I could try and understand what it is that people like about cricket. The structure of the game..? The formality? The challange? Does this game make people look more intelligent than, say, people who play football?

I'm not really interested in cricket man. It's not the thing which matters that you make a decision on. But how you question it.

As a good start, how about, should we fear our own death? (Grim I know) But there's loadsa info on Google about it. Or: Why do people drive fast/drink drive..?
ashy
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mrs.X)
If we are in the world
And the world is in the Solar System
And the Solar System is in the Milky Way
And the Milky Way is in the universe..

WHERE THE HELL IS THE UNIVERSE?!
What?

Oh.

Expanding :p:
ashy
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by netprime)
How about, the universe was always there, it never began, yet it will never end, it is infinite.

That confuses me
It did begin.

With a bang.

A big one.
DaveParlour
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by netprime)

That confuses me
Although it avoids the question of where the Universe, the space it occupies and objects in it, came from, what if the 'big bang' was basically the 'old' material Universe imploding and this Universe as we know it just another in a long line of them.
fuzzymuff
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ashy)
It did begin.

With a bang.

A big one.
Yet what was before the big bang we do not yet know... :rofl2:

Seriously though, OP, I wouldn't delve into trying to understand the fabric of the cosmos, because it is really hard to understand the overall picture- your work would not sound complete.
Mattisabiologist
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Is genetic engineering the way forward with feeding impoverished countries?
Are the risks of gene flow etc. worth it?
Should we take it further and develop crops with extra anti-oxidants for example to possibly reduce certain diseases or are the unknown possible side effects not worth the risk?
ashy
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by fuzzymuff)
Yet what was before the big bang we do not yet know... :rofl2:

Seriously though, OP, I wouldn't delve into trying to understand the fabric of the cosmos, because it is really hard to understand the overall picture- your work would not sound complete.
It could have been the result of a "big crunch", where universes are created and destroyed cyclically.

Or it was the collision of 2 branes.

Or "God did it" :p:
Mrs.X
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ashy)
What?

Oh.

Expanding :p:
Not what's happening to it, WHERE is it that question frustrates me so much. I try and contemplate it just existing as a result of the Big Bang, because that's pretty much what science claims, but surely the traditional laws of science would say that's not even possible? I guess I should just put it down to God, thinking too much hurts my brain.
fuzzymuff
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by DaveParlour)
Although it avoids the question of where the Universe, the space it occupies and objects in it, came from, what if the 'big bang' was basically the 'old' material Universe imploding and this Universe as we know it just another in a long line of them.
Well yes, that's probable.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neur...zarnecki3.html
fuzzymuff
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ashy)
It could have been the result of a "big crunch", where universes are created and destroyed cyclically.

Or it was the collision of 2 branes.

Or "God did it" :p:
Or we cannot know/understand what 'it' is, was, or will be.

EDIT: Do you think the rules of this (observable) part of the universe, are the same in other dimensions, if they exist..?
necessarily benevolent
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
If the Universe continues forever and ever, then are there exact replicas of Earth and even our Galaxy present in the vast extents of space? This of course applies to time, aesthetics and action. And you'd think there are an infinite number of Earth's just like ours, with me typing these words on another forum somewhere out there called TSR. But what if there's another one with a delay of one second. And what if there's one with the forum called ASR. What if there's one exactly the same but with one minor grammatical difference in this post another me is typing. Only this other me has blonde hair, not brown. Only this one is another one with brown hair. And these possibilities are maintained eternally because the universe continues forever. The coincidental possibilities are endless and it's truly mind-boggling.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads