Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK
    im writing up my coursework on the reaction ebtween Magnesium and Hydrochloric acid .. i measured the rate of reaction by measuring the amount of hydrogen gas produced every 10 seconds in a 60 sec period .. now i drew a initial rate graph but taking the gradient of each curve at the first 5 seconds because the curve is sttepest then ... the gradeints i got, i plotted them against conc .. now i want to know did i do it right or wrong ??
    I m really confused !!!

ReputationRep:
    well... depends on what you are interested in...
    if you are doing initial rate vs. conc... then thats right...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ammarb87)
    OK
    im writing up my coursework on the reaction ebtween Magnesium and Hydrochloric acid .. i measured the rate of reaction by measuring the amount of hydrogen gas produced every 10 seconds in a 60 sec period .. now i drew a initial rate graph but taking the gradient of each curve at the first 5 seconds because the curve is sttepest then ... the gradeints i got, i plotted them against conc .. now i want to know did i do it right or wrong ??
    I m really confused !!!
    Yeh thats right, and then by looking at the shape of the curve you can determine the order of reaction with respect to the HCl.
    Horizontal Line = order 0
    Diagonal Line of direct proportion = order 1
    exponential curve = order 2

ReputationRep:
    if its 2nd order what does it mean ??
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ammarb87)
    if its 2nd order what does it mean ??
    It doesn't MEAN anything as such...

It tells you that the dependency of the rate on H+ ions is second order i.e. for a doubling of the acid concentration there is a four-fold increase in rate.

It SUGGESTS that there are two of the second order species particles (molecules, atoms or ions) involved in bimolecular collisions in the rate determining step.

Or that your data is wrong...

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.