This discussion is closed.
ammarb87
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
OK
im writing up my coursework on the reaction ebtween Magnesium and Hydrochloric acid .. i measured the rate of reaction by measuring the amount of hydrogen gas produced every 10 seconds in a 60 sec period .. now i drew a initial rate graph but taking the gradient of each curve at the first 5 seconds because the curve is sttepest then ... the gradeints i got, i plotted them against conc .. now i want to know did i do it right or wrong ??
I m really confused !!!
anchemis
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
well... depends on what you are interested in...
if you are doing initial rate vs. conc... then thats right...
Hawk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ammarb87)
OK
im writing up my coursework on the reaction ebtween Magnesium and Hydrochloric acid .. i measured the rate of reaction by measuring the amount of hydrogen gas produced every 10 seconds in a 60 sec period .. now i drew a initial rate graph but taking the gradient of each curve at the first 5 seconds because the curve is sttepest then ... the gradeints i got, i plotted them against conc .. now i want to know did i do it right or wrong ??
I m really confused !!!
Yeh thats right, and then by looking at the shape of the curve you can determine the order of reaction with respect to the HCl.
Horizontal Line = order 0
Diagonal Line of direct proportion = order 1
exponential curve = order 2
ammarb87
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
if its 2nd order what does it mean ??
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ammarb87)
if its 2nd order what does it mean ??
It doesn't MEAN anything as such...

It tells you that the dependency of the rate on H+ ions is second order i.e. for a doubling of the acid concentration there is a four-fold increase in rate.

It SUGGESTS that there are two of the second order species particles (molecules, atoms or ions) involved in bimolecular collisions in the rate determining step.

Or that your data is wrong...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (118)
38.31%
Take autumn exams (96)
31.17%
Look for a job (10)
3.25%
Consider an apprenticeship (9)
2.92%
Take a year out (55)
17.86%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
6.49%

Watched Threads