This discussion is closed.
duckymouse26
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hello, i'm a new member.
I'm studying IB in NZ, 1st year. By next week we have to submit our topics for the Extended Essay and still i haven't figured out what i should do. Currently, I'm interested in Math and high probability that I will choose Math. Ya, the topic is a problem. Could anyone who did about Math before help me. plz? I'm not quite sure how a math EE should be like. Rite now I have several topics for Math, but i don't know if they're approriate and good enough (or narrow and possible enough) to write about.
Plz give me some experiences....thanks
Natalie Lane
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by duckymouse26)
Hello, i'm a new member.
I'm studying IB in NZ, 1st year. By next week we have to submit our topics for the Extended Essay and still i haven't figured out what i should do. Currently, I'm interested in Math and high probability that I will choose Math. Ya, the topic is a problem. Could anyone who did about Math before help me. plz? I'm not quite sure how a math EE should be like. Rite now I have several topics for Math, but i don't know if they're approriate and good enough (or narrow and possible enough) to write about.
You're in your first year and already you have to hand in your topic?! :eek:
I've just started my second and all I know so far is that I'll either do it for Chemistry or History...
My maths teachers always say that doing a maths EE is very risky because it's apparantly easy to write (according to her, don't think I could write 4000 words for maths!) but very hard to get a really good grade on...
So if you're aiming for a top grade I'd suggest another topic...
duckymouse26
YEah...our school made us to think about the EE right in our 1st year, although the due date is until Oct. this year.
I know doing Math is quite risky, all students said that to me. I'm considering Maths, Eco and Chem. 'Coz i'm taking Math HL and had a experiences with advanced Math before so i think it's the best option for me. Any help?
Stevko
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Quite amny people in my class did maths EE. So probably it is not that hard to do. You just should find a good topic.
One advantage of math EE is, that you can get A for 1000 words. So you do not have to write too much.
momopie123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hi, im trying to think of a good EE topic in economics. any thoughts?? :confused:
Buffysboy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by duckymouse26)
Hello, i'm a new member.
Infinite in set relations, something about geometry, there are plenty if you just spend some time looking for them in books or on the net.
Monii
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
well the easiest thing you can do is - discuss this with the ib coordinator or even better with your potential supervisor (eg your mats teacher!)

and for the eco topic, generally microeconomics is considered as tzhe easest to get good grades; at my school we all had to do it from micro. so finally my topic is about externalities connected with the extension of the prague airport
momopie123
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Monii)
well the easiest thing you can do is - discuss this with the ib coordinator or even better with your potential supervisor (eg your mats teacher!)

and for the eco topic, generally microeconomics is considered as tzhe easest to get good grades; at my school we all had to do it from micro. so finally my topic is about externalities connected with the extension of the prague airport
thanks for the advice. micro was the first thing we did and it was probably the easiest so i'm definitely gonna choose a topic that falls under microeconomics.
duckymouse26
It's painful to pick a good topic. Thanks for all the advice so far then.
I'm thinking of doing some thing on number patterns (Fibonacci or Pascal Triangle). Do you guys experience that the famous theorem was already investigated by these guys long long time ago and what i'm doing now (if i pick these topics) would be repeating their works somehow? But really do the IB expect us to come up with something new and advanced? Can I just do about sth not new, as long as the research/calculatio/investigation is my own effort?
I'm dying.... :confused:
Stevko
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
IBO does not want you to come up with something new. And yes, it is enough to do something what was done lready. One of students at my school was doing something he thought is new and too "super" for just EE (he wanted nobel prize :-) ). Later the teacher found, that someone did it before him. So even if you do something "new", probably it was done already.
You should just show, that you can do some systematic research. Two thirds (2/3) of points (?marks?) are for formal things (check the Extended Essay Guide).
And do not worry much about EE. With TOK essay it can give you maximally 3 points. And failing condition is only when you get E for both of them (or you do not write one).
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (142)
17.95%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
26.93%
Not great so far... (283)
35.78%
I want to drop out! (153)
19.34%

Watched Threads