Turn on thread page Beta

Some would say only parents can do that.

There are no really "good schools" and "bad schools", simply "well brought up kids" and "TV-saturated, attention-deprived, fast-food nourished, boundaryless latchkey kids".

What are your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Schools can reinforce the message on how you should behave but its primarily the parents responsibility and if they aent setting a good example then kids can get confused really quickly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost105)
    Schools can reinforce the message on how you should behave but its primarily the parents responsibility and if they aent setting a good example then kids can get confused really quickly
    Agreed.I'd say that sometimes it's difficult to 'undo' the way a child has been brought up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *alicia*)
    Agreed.I'd say that sometimes it's difficult to 'undo' the way a child has been brought up.
    It really annoys me when parents truely believe its the schools job to make sure that their child is attending and behaves well and actually learns stuff at school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost105)
    It really annoys me when parents truely believe its the schools job to make sure that their child is attending and behaves well and actually learns stuff at school.
    Yep that's just complete ignorance.i'd hate to be a teacher and have to deal with people like that;they think that because you're in a position of authority over their kids you're responsible for stuff like that,but they'd be the first to say you were interfering if you tried to sort their kids' behaviour out! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it's ultimately the parent's responsiblity but schools can be good for teaching a child social skills. But teaching a child manners, courtesy of others, respect for elders (teachers, people in positions of authority), the ability to express themselves well to others should be something schools put some sort of effort into. I know at the school (kindergarten) I teach at we put emphasis on teaching them table manners, formulating polite questions and how to get along with each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)

What are your thoughts?
    Schools should beat discipline into children. Children are like animals (dogs really) Award with a cookie when good or take a crop to their hinds when bad. A good thrashing is the only language some children understand.

ReputationRep:
    Children act differently at school anyway. I have seen children out with parents behaving like little devils then in school they don't seem like the same child. I think young children respect their teachers if they are taught from starting school how to behave correctly in schools, however they can then go home and show no respect whatsoever towards their parents. Parents have a huge responsibility to raise children correctly before they even attend school, and if they fail to do this then it makes a teachers job a lot harder as the teacher has to deal with the problem rather than the parents. I do believe teachers can teach children to behave but I think it takes a lot of time, if the parents aren't willing to help out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Some would say only parents can do that.

There are no really "good schools" and "bad schools", simply "well brought up kids" and "TV-saturated, attention-deprived, fast-food nourished, boundaryless latchkey kids".

What are your thoughts?
    Children learn how to behave in the early years of their life. By the time they make it to school it is probably too late to change the paterns of behavior that parents have instilled in the child.

(Original post by lynseyweth)
    Children act differently at school anyway. I have seen children out with parents behaving like little devils then in school they don't seem like the same child. I think young children respect their teachers if they are taught from starting school how to behave correctly in schools, however they can then go home and show no respect whatsoever towards their parents. Parents have a huge responsibility to raise children correctly before they even attend school, and if they fail to do this then it makes a teachers job a lot harder as the teacher has to deal with the problem rather than the parents. I do believe teachers can teach children to behave but I think it takes a lot of time, if the parents aren't willing to help out.
    I am sick of the way some parents think it is the responsibility of the teachers to attend to their child's every need. The teacher is there to 'teach' the child to read, write and learn to manipulate numbers etc. They are not employed as social workers, nannies and child minders.

Parents drop their children off at school, on their way to work and collect them afterwards, much in the same way as they would a paid child minder/nursery. Teacher's are NOT the child's parent and the sooner parents are made accountable for their child's poor behaviour, the better.

Parents are their child's first and most important educators.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.