Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Which is the best university for maths after oxbridge?
    (i've put a similar thread in the cambridge forum so more people see it)

ReputationRep:
    statistically its bath (2nd after cam in times), but i reckon its Imperial cos of their overall ranking and reputation. Bath is little known i think, and underrated.

I'm sort of in a dilema too...between durham, york, and imperial. Imperial is by far teh best academically from these, i think, but not sure whether i could stand anotehr 4 years living in london, and at home!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    statistically its bath (2nd after cam in times), but i reckon its Imperial cos of their overall ranking and reputation. Bath is little known i think, and underrated.

I'm sort of in a dilema too...between durham, york, and imperial. Imperial is by far teh best academically from these, i think, but not sure whether i could stand anotehr 4 years living in london, and at home!!!!!!!!
    hav u had an offer from cam aswell?

ReputationRep:
    well... other stats say St. Andrews is second after Cambridge... just go with whichever you'd most like to go to...

ReputationRep:
    isn't bath's offer 3As?
    i'd put Warwick because their maths department is supposed to be really good - i visited it last week and everyone was very nice. they made a big emphasis on being academic and how they're right up there with Cambridge, but it's really down to what you want. the Warwick atmosphere is totally different to Cambridge - its a campus university far outside of a town!
    Good luck for your Cambridge entry!

ReputationRep:
    Hope nobody minds if I hajack this thread. I was thinking of making a similar one. From my sig, which would you put as firm/insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inequality)
    Which is the best university for maths after oxbridge?
    (i've put a similar thread in the cambridge forum so more people see it)
    come to apu

ReputationRep:
    I voted for Bath as I like the place best. Academically speaking, i wouldn't say there's much between them. Some would say Warwick is more on a par with Cambridge, given that it makes offers based on STEP/further maths, but that's debatable. I'd go for the place you like best, whether you want a city or campus, etc and look at the modules offered and decide using that.
    (Original post by SsEe)
    Hope nobody minds if I hajack this thread. I was thinking of making a similar one. From my sig, which would you put as firm/insurance.
    Erm, apart from Bath, which you're probably not considering seeing as your offer was AAA, I'd say Bristol is probably the best academically followed by Durham. Again depends on whether you want to be in a city or campue I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Basically i think all of the universities you mentioned are outstanding at maths, that's why they're all highly placed in the league tables. However from my offers and what i've sen or read, Bath does seem to have the edge, but i might just be biased because i loved the uni so much!

(This is my 100th post yay! :thrasher: )

ReputationRep:
    its really between imp and wawick,... warwick hjas a higher standard of students but imperial is more internationally regarded

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amo1)
    its really between imp and wawick,... warwick hjas a higher standard of students but imperial is more internationally regarded
    I think for maths the big 4 are oxbridge, warwick and ICL. Closely followed by Bath, Bristol, and maybe durham (dont understand 30th in league table though) and some people may not agree but then I would put St Andrews, slightly biased.
    For me its probably going to be Bath-Firm and St Andrews-Insurance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green_eyes)
    isn't bath's offer 3As?
    i'd put Warwick because their maths department is supposed to be really good - i visited it last week and everyone was very nice. they made a big emphasis on being academic and how they're right up there with Cambridge, but it's really down to what you want. the Warwick atmosphere is totally different to Cambridge - its a campus university far outside of a town!
    Good luck for your Cambridge entry!

warwick is great 4 maths but it is not in the same league as cambridge. the cambridge tripos etc makes it harder and more prestigious

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 1, 2005

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.