Poll: Which May Ball should I try to get tickets for?
Trinity (22)
16.79%
Johns (29)
22.14%
Magdalene (5)
3.82%
Peterhouse (11)
8.4%
Clare (10)
7.63%
Jesus (17)
12.98%
Queens (11)
8.4%
Pembroke (6)
4.58%
Downing (11)
8.4%
Other-please comment (9)
6.87%
roxy potter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I'm trying to decide which May Ball to go to. I'm at Clare Hall and ours is a small event which I plan to go to, but I want to go to one of the bigger ones. I know some of them are really hard to get tickets for but I need an idea of which ones I should try and get tickets for. Which ones did people go to last year/how would you rate them?

Suggestions and comments appreciated.
Jigglypuff
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Trinity and Johns supposedly have the best, followed by Jesus.

I voted for Clare, as I went in my first year and really enjoyed it, and also worked there in my second year when it again was very good. Apart from a select few, I'd say most of the balls are standard: it's the aesthetics of the college (so maybe go for one of the prettier colleges), the music (which you don't normally find out until after you've put the ticket anyway) and the people you're with that make it fun! You can expect a similar range of food, drink and entertainment, so it doesn't really matter.
Childermass
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've heard good things about Pembroke and John's, but from what I saw last year, Trinity isn't worth the hassle.
paneity
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Magdelene is the only white tie formal, so if you want to be/dress ultra posh then you could go to theirs. Trinity and John's will be the biggest and have the best fireworks (how many other actually have fireworks?). Bear in mind that for a lot of them tickets have to be bought in pairs.
ebayqueen
Report 11 years ago
Go to all of them.
Diaz89
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
go to queens so you can meet hannah murray (if you care)
Craghyrax
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by paneity)
Magdelene is the only white tie formal, so if you want to be/dress ultra posh then you could go to theirs. Trinity and John's will be the biggest and have the best fireworks (how many other actually have fireworks?). Bear in mind that for a lot of them tickets have to be bought in pairs.
No. Peterhouse and Magdalene are the only two White Tie May Balls. They used to alternate until last year when our Fellows threw a spanner into the works. Now they both happen simultaneously.
(Original post by roxy potter)
I'm trying to decide which May Ball to go to. I'm at Clare Hall and ours is a small event which I plan to go to, but I want to go to one of the bigger ones. I know some of them are really hard to get tickets for but I need an idea of which ones I should try and get tickets for. Which ones did people go to last year/how would you rate them?

Suggestions and comments appreciated.
Ironically I've only been to Clare Hall's I will be going to Peterhouse this year.
Kyle_S-C
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Downing May Ball was good when I went, even though I'm biased because it's my college, I'd probably rate it higher than Jesus and Emma (not that they're bad, I just really enjoyed Downing). I'm not sure what's going to be made of the Peter Pan theme, but the committee seem pretty good.
Jigglypuff
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by paneity)
Clare offered fireworks, but weirdly they were at the same time as the Trinity ones and right outside Trinity college...what a bizarre coincidence
roxy potter
Rep:
?
(Original post by Craghyrax)
Ironically I've only been to Clare Hall's I will be going to Peterhouse this year.
How was it as a matter of interest?
The West Wing
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ebayqueen)
Go to all of them.
What a great solution :yep:
mwiko
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No. Peterhouse and Magdalene are the only two White Tie May Balls. They used to alternate until last year when our Fellows threw a spanner into the works. Now they both happen simultaneously.
I thought peterhouse was optional white tie? [hey, magdalene needs something to cling to for fame..]
Sucks about them now happening on the same year every so often..

Go to whichever ones you want, they will all have a hog roast, chocolate fountain, fairground rides of some sort... etc. So friends really are the most important factor.
roxy potter
Rep:
?
(Original post by ebayqueen)
Go to all of them.
If only I could afford to But even then, I don't know how I'd manage with the ones that were on at the same time.
Jigglypuff
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Maybe you should work at a couple? Last year I went to 3 and worked at 2. It wasn't taxing, you'll probably be practically nocturnal by then anyway, and you'll get a bit of money.
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by roxy potter)
How was it as a matter of interest?
It felt more like a wedding than a May Ball in honesty. There didn't seem to be any consensus on dress code, so some people came in cocktail dresses and others in ball gowns. The food was nice, and the music nice-inoffensive (which is quite an achievement given my tastes :p:)
Erm... I haven't been to any other May Balls, so I don't really know enough to compare.
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mwiko)
I thought peterhouse was optional white tie? [hey, magdalene needs something to cling to for fame..]
So? :confused: They're still the only two colleges to include it in their mentioned dress code. Anyway, if you want fame your Fellows will have to cancel your May Ball :^^:

Someone told me that Magdalene was also the only college other than us to have a free pool table in its JCR, but I have since been corrected :p:
Also they have candlelit meals in hall as standard like we do.
brimstone
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You won't get a John's or Trinity ticket unless you're at John's or Trinity or know someone from John's or Trinity.
brimstone
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
but I have since been corrected :p:
By me :p: I edited it on the Wiki too
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by brimstone)
By me :p: I edited it on the Wiki too
Ah yes. I vaguely recall you being the culprit :p:
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by brimstone)
You won't get a John's or Trinity ticket unless you're at John's or Trinity or know someone from John's or Trinity.
:ditto: - though I can heartily recommend John's if you do know someone there! I've not been to Trinity so can't compare the two, but John's was spectacular both years I went. Clare is much smaller but the whole place is beautiful and there's plenty of stuff to do. Robinson is cheaper and slightly less formal but still good fun. They're the only ones I really know about.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (234)
67.24%
No (114)
32.76%

Watched Threads