This discussion is closed.
Kaiel
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Hi all..
I was thinking about doing the university in the UK, and I was wondering if you can help me in some way..
Unfortunatly my english is not so good.. I've got 2 years left to improve it, but I should take some test like the TOEFL or Ielts in 1 year.. I would like to know if 550-600 would be enough to get into a UNI.. I mean, I've seen lots of sites of different unis, and they say it should be enough.. but I would like to enter to Oxford or Cambridge, and maybe there the score required is higher..
I'm still undecided about what degree I will apply for.. the reason why I'm so unsure is because I don't know exactly the difference between these 3 degree.. economics, management and buisness...
If someone could help me, that would be great..

And please, please, don't say something like.. "What? Oxford?? Ahah with your english? AHAHAHAH"

Thank you
Kaiel
Toffee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
What? Oxford?? Ahah with your english? AHAHAHAH
kildare
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Send an e-mail to the admissions office at Oxford and Cambridge and ask them what score they ask for on the TOEFL. They’re generally very helpful and reply speedily to any questions asked.
Toffee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
No I'm joking. I think that applying from outside the UK might actually give you an advantage.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Toffee)
No I'm joking. I think that applying from outside the UK might actually give you an advantage.
In what way?
wizard
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
You won't need to get more than 7 (overall) on IELTS.
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Overseas students also pay more to study at UK universities as well!

Anyways, di dove sei e dove sei studiare in Italia? Voglio studiare Mathematica e Italiano all'universita quando vado in 2004. As you can see, my Italiano ain't that good either since I have only studied it for a year from scratch. I want to study in Italia sometime after I have completed my degree here. Milano would be my favourite choice...
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I think I won't pay more than UK students because Italy is in the EU.

I live in Rome and I'm studying here in Rome.
I'd say Milan is a good place to study, but I would prefer Rome becouse of the weather and becouse in Milan people are known to be a little bit "cold". Anyway Milan is a good choice, I think there are 2 public unis, (I'm not sure) and they're both very good.
wizard
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Yea we pay the same as the UK students pay cuz we are in the EU.

People coming from overseas (non EU) actually have an advantage.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by wizard)
No, they don't.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by wizard)
Γιατί ?
Markus Bihler
Report 17 years ago
There are no formal requirements concerning your level of english proficency at Oxford. You will not have to take the TOEFL or any similar examination. Nevertheless, you are to demonstrate a good understanding on english in a written test and they are going to hear your oral skills in the interview.
I am sure that analytic skills, a strong academic record and the ability to sell yoursell in the interview will be essentials to recieve a place - not your english.
Lots of luck,
markus (applying to Ox. from Germany)
wizard
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Γιατί ?
:eek:

Because they can speak greek
Kaiel
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Thank you all
otnemem
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It all depends on the subject you wish to study. For instance, for law - don't know about oxbridge but lse and ucl (which are right behind) require a 7.5 overall for the IELTS. For economics it might be less.

And it is true, non-EU students do have an advantage - a Russian girl in my course last year did not get the 3 As prediction and I'm quite sure she ultimately got ABB - and yet she was offered a place for the BSc Econ at LSE and eventually got in. I don’t intend to generalise from one case but the LSE, for instance, has publicly chosen to go down the international road to preserve its excellence. Other unis do so less ceremoniously – the law fac at UCL has almost doubled the proportion of overseas intake in the last few years.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (385)
32.19%
No (811)
67.81%

Watched Threads