Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what are the possibilities to do foreign languages at uni?
    I'm to do a degree in maths and econ but I'd like to continue studying spanish and why not start japanese or chinese. Is this possible? outside of the degree? would it be to hard to cope with and really give me too much work?

ReputationRep:
    i know that at manchester it is possible but unless it's part of your course, or you have a free choice module and choose a language, you have to pay to do it. It also depends on whether or not it fits in your timetable. I know a few people who are doing a language which isn't part of their degree and they're not finding the work too difficult to cope with but they haven't really learnt that much because they only have 2 hours week.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    At York, we have a Languages For All scheme, so you pay about £60 and then get to do a language. Although one girl is doing A level latin at college outside of uni, which is something you could perhaps look into

ReputationRep:
    If I go to Cardiff, I might do beginners Italian but I'm worried about how hard it will be

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the uni, I think. Sometimes you can do it as part of your degree, others have language courses that you can do in your spare time. I think UCL is pretty good in this department, and most unis with good language departments will have lots available – I know at KCL and Cambridge (the places I applied) offer really excellent opportunities to brush up on old languages/learn new ones. Have a look on their websites.

I'd only go for one language at a time though!

ReputationRep:
    I know that at Kings most students are allowed to take language half unit courses as a part of their course that will count towards their degree. In total you are allowed to take three language half units, no matter what your degree is (although for medics and dentists I think its different)

Normally it is preferred if they are in the same language, however I know some ppl who did a different one each time.

One drawback however is that you have to study for BOTH semesters for the single half unit, whereas for other half units u only have to study for one semester, therefore you will have one extra module to study in one of your semesters (hope that makes sense :P )

I can say that even though its slightly more work, its well worth it as employers love it, and I also advise that you do the SAME language each time, rather than 3 different ones.

ReputationRep:
    I've been doing spanish for a few years, not that good in it but I wouldn't want to lose it!!! I suppose if at uni I don't do any spanish for three years it would go a level near 0! lol
    and I think a nice oriental language would be good for after! I'd love to go and live in Asia or be in a IB in Hong Kong

ReputationRep:
    we can do a language here. you can either do it as part of your course or on one of the night classes (which is where i do spanish) and i get 10 credits (i need 120 a year) per semester for it. i had to pay £10 to cover all the photocopying and tapes and stuff i use

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    how much hours a weeks does it take you? much personnal work?

ReputationRep:
    Bristol are good for this kind of thing - they've got a special Language Centre, designed for people not doing languages degrees.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick encourages students to study a language. im not doing a language course but plan to take a language module next year. if you dont want to do it as part of your course you can just learn one anyway as they have a language centre.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think a lot of unis have'language labs' where you can take classes or teach yourself as well

ReputationRep:
    A lot of degree courses are now giving students the option to take a language, but even if yours doesn't, most unis have languages centres with the material necessary to teach yourself, and some offer classes as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthieum)
    how much hours a weeks does it take you? much personnal work?
    i just turn up to the classes (2 hour son a monday night). occasionally spend half an hour going over stuff (but not often)

lou xxx

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.