Turn on thread page Beta

The Tories are not right wing..theyre just right watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by final_year)
    whats your problem with Wilson??
    im northern irish. go read.

ReputationRep:
    don't you know anything about politics? the centre of political gravity was moved far over to the right by thatcher, unfortunately blair has failed to move back to where it was before thatcher. but with the current decline of the tory party hopefully it will not be too long before it is back to the centre left position it held in the 60's and 70's.
    perhaps that movement to the right is why he's been successful...?

ever think about that? go left, and you fail miserably.

(Original post by technik)

That's what I said in the beginning.

We have two parties, one is right and the other is right of right.

Bring on the revolution! or the Lib Dems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)

lol...lib dems...

yea...keep dreaming

im northern irish. go read.
    so your northern irish - do you want a medal?
    are you bitter at wilson because he sent the army in to stop the RUC
    massacring the nationists? or some other reason?

(Original post by yawn)

i would love it if they became the official opposition putting the conservative party into 3rd position.

we'll see how the tories fair going to extreme right.

ReputationRep:
    Thats not gonna happen tho. Charles Kennedy's such a weak leader and an opportunist

(Original post by Richy Rich$$)
    Thats not gonna happen tho. Charles Kennedy's such a weak leader and an opportunist
    and howard isn't? jumping on UKIP's and the BNP's bandwagon? i call that opportunist.

ReputationRep:
    i would love it if they became the official opposition putting the conservative party into 3rd position.
    So would I but to the extent that I advocate this view depends not on just the parties, but their policies and leadership.

ReputationRep:
    The tories have always been anti Europe and against mass immigration, thats nothing new. Whereas kennedy just disagreed with the war in Iraq because its a vote winner

ReputationRep:
    and howard isn't jumping on UKIP's and the BNP's bandwagon?
    A bit like one right-winger who got on his moral high horse in order to gain votes across the pond... :rolleyes:

The tories have always been anti Europe and against mass immigration, thats nothing new. Whereas kennedy just disagreed with the war in Iraq because its a vote winner
    read your history books a little pal, the tories haven't always been anti Europe and anti mass immigrantion.
    kennedy disagreed with the war because he knew like the majority of the country that it was a stupid idea and unlike the tories wasn't bound to follow the american republicans.

ReputationRep:
    Whereas kennedy just disagreed with the war in Iraq because its a vote winner
    Public opinion on the Iraq War in this country was more or less 50/50 the last time I heard. Perhaps it would have been economic sense not to bother with the war and spend the money spent on the war itself on domestic issues such as university funding?

If Charles Kennedy really wanted to go for everything on public opinion to gain votes he'd advocate the death penalty too. The last outspoken politician to do this was David Davis (Con), the shadow Home Secretary.

Not quite a weak leader. The lack of any sort of media coverage hardly helps his cause, despite actually having some good ideas.

Although it may have been true to an extent in the past (equidistance), I would hardly say now that the Lib Dems are opportunist, at least not to the point of the other major parties. Firstly, it was Labour that abandoned their ideology in order to win votes through a more pragmatic approach . The Conservatives, on the other hand, seem reluctant to commit to either One Nationism or Neo-Conservatism. Look to recent Conservative leaders to see bandwagon-ism in its element: Howard on ID cards, Hague on, well, anything.

ReputationRep:
    read your history books a little pal, the tories haven't always been anti Europe and anti mass immigrantion.
    Arguably one of their most well-known Tories believed in political union regarding Europe.

The tories have always been anti Europe and against mass immigration, thats nothing new.
    Which party joined the ERM?
    Which party ratified Maastricht?

ReputationRep:
    Going to tell me black is white next? Defending the tories I can stomach. Claiming they aren't right wing is a little fantastical.

Bring on a Lib Dem opposition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    Not quite a weak leader. The lack of any sort of media coverage hardly helps his cause, despite actually having some good ideas.
    And also lack of financial power to carry out election campaigns. See http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/docs/electoral2001.pdf

For the financial backing that the Liberal Democrats have they seem pretty good at spending their money. In the 2001 campaign spending Labour spent £10,945,119, the Conservatives spent £12,751,813, and the Lib Dems spent £1,361,377. Okay if you're a bigger party you will spend more but then if you take that into account, they're not equal with each other. See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/2514367.stm

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    And also lack of financial power to carry out election campaigns. See http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/docs/electoral2001.pdf

For the financial backing that the Liberal Democrats have they seem pretty good at spending their money. In the 2001 campaign spending Labour spent £10,945,119, the Conservatives spent £12,751,813, and the Lib Dems spent £1,361,377. Okay if you're a bigger party you will spend more but then if you take that into account, they're not equal with each other. See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/2514367.stm
    And what does that teach us, kids? You either need to be in the pockets of the unions, or big business, in order to have any sort of chance in elections.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2005
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.