This discussion is closed.
DanMushMan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
It's being reported that 480 students were admitted to med schools last year who's top grades were CCC.
What do people think? Is it right to widen access schemes to allow 'disadvantaged' people to enter medicine? What about the other thousdands of candidates who got the grades but didn't get a place? Personally I think that because medicine is such a competitive field and a very challenging course, there should be set minimum entry a-levels, and grades shouldn't be lowered, even to 'widen' access. If these people find out a few years into med school that they can't cope and drop out or change course, then we lose a doctor and all the money that went into those years of training.
Adhsur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
All I can say is, I don't think I'd be very comfortable going to a doctor who only scraped CCC in his A levels. :confused:
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by DanMushMan)
It's being reported that 480 students were admitted to med schools last year who's top grades were CCC.
What do people think? Is it right to widen access schemes to allow 'disadvantaged' people to enter medicine? What about the other thousdands of candidates who got the grades but didn't get a place? Personally I think that because medicine is such a competitive field and a very challenging course, there should be set minimum entry a-levels, and grades shouldn't be lowered, even to 'widen' access. If these people find out a few years into med school that they can't cope and drop out or change course, then we lose a doctor and all the money that went into those years of training.

committed as I am to the idea of improving uni access, I don't think that sounds good. Maybe CCC should be enough to get you on to some form of access to medicine course, with a year or two of foundation level learning to reach the standard of people starting with higher A levels.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I think I';ll have more chance to go in if I just go to a comprenhisive, and a state college. Then spend the private school's money on Private tution. So I can get at least BBB, and easily get in. So tehre.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
There have been a few suggestions on how to 'widen' access, and personally, lowering the grades should certainly NOT be one of them. Getting into University, and medicine for that matter, should be based on academic ability, intelligence etc etc....by lowering grade entries you are admitting students that may not actually have the ability to deal with such an arduous course like medicine. I wouldnt like to know that just because some didnt have the financial means, means that they had a better chance of Uni than me...and im sure most people would feel the same.
To widen the access, people struggling with finances should not have to pay the full £1,100.
Lowering the entry requirements is silly
emporium
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
This is a good idea. We are all ******** ourselves over the prospect of being treated by a doctor who only got 3 Cs in the future, so we all keep fit and stay healthy so we don't have to go to hospital much, Alan Milburn you are a genius!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
To study medicine does not require high flyers. The qualities that are most important are work ethic, compassion and empathy. It is obvious that unis know this and that is why they are making the course accessible to those they consider most suitable and it doesn't include applicants with higher grades necessarily.
P.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I'd be willing to bet that a very high proportion of those were admitted to Year 0 - foundation yrs which lead to a 6 yr medicine degree.

Ie they spend the first yr doing a science access type course which would bring them past A level A grade standard in all the science areas they would need for their degree - they then join the standard entry students in Year 1.

These courses are usually targetted towards local students from deprived areas/school or those students whove had personal problems or studied the wrong a levels for direct entry onto a medicine degree.
.NK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emporium)
This is a good idea. We are all ******** ourselves over the prospect of being treated by a doctor who only got 3 Cs in the future, so we all keep fit and stay healthy so we don't have to go to hospital much, Alan Milburn you are a genius!
Didn't he retire to spend time with his family...?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
I'd be willing to bet that a very high proportion of those were admitted to Year 0 - foundation yrs which lead to a 6 yr medicine degree.

Ie they spend the first yr doing a science access type course which would bring them past A level A grade standard in all the science areas they would need for their degree - they then join the standard entry students in Year 1.

These courses are usually targetted towards local students from deprived areas/school or those students whove had personal problems or studied the wrong a levels for direct entry onto a medicine degree.

Actually, there's nothing new in a pre-med year. My husband skipped pre-med in the 1970's because of good "A" level results and did a five year course when the norm was six.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
Actually, there's nothing new in a pre-med year. My husband skipped pre-med in the 1970's because of good "A" level results and did a five year course when the norm was six.
I basically agree with Dan on the fact that medschools have one of the lowest drop out rates of any course. Half of those muppet courses like media studies have as much as 35% drop out rate, which is appalling.
I think medicine drop out rate in cambridge is so low (cambridge on whole is low infact) that it cant even be properly expressed as a percentage.
(in my year i think 3 people switched course, and 1 dropped out...out of about 300)
J
Millsy
Report 17 years ago
Do you think that admissions tutors are a soft touch? They requires students who possess the necessary skills and coping methods to deal with a very stressful and demanding career that is medicine. Grades are only part of the package. Also, you cannot possibly believe that students that drop out of medicine are all doing so because they had low A level Grades and not cannot cope with the course? A purely academic doctor is of no use to anyone unless he/she has the practical and clinical manner to back it up.

There are many people out there who through no fault of their own have not gained straight As but are given a place at med school because they will make brilliant doctors. Maybe those who got straight As should take a hard look at themselves and see how they could improve their application for next year. Good luck!
username9816
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
All I can say is, I don't think I'd be very comfortable going to a doctor who only scraped CCC in his A levels. :confused:
I agree, there would be that feeling of unease I suppose.
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by bono)
You really wouldn't know though unless they had their certificates on the wall or something stupid. All I can say is if anyone with 3 C's thinks they can manage my course I'd like to know why they only got 3 C's.
hi everi1!
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
neither would i
hi everi1!
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by bono)
like they weren't quite sure what they wer doing....as opoosed to someone with staight As
r316
Report 17 years ago
to be honest, how many of us actually know our GP's results!

but, allowing CCC is unfair when ABB students may be rejected. Given, they may have great interpersonal skills, but CCC would be on grounds of education...etc. W/ medicine especially, it is important to look at potential to be a good doctor- but there's no fair, easy way to measure this- so grades should be important.

What worries me most is the no. w/CCC
Katie J
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
My sister is now a second year medic at UWCM, her offer was AAB but she only got CCB, but they took her on anyway. I agree there are certain limits but its really not fair to have a cut off point for entering medicine on grades alone. She has since been diagnosed with dyslexia, whether knowing that before hand would have imporved her A-Levels I don't know but its just an example of the many reasons why medical admissions people can't just rely on grades alone. She passed her first year medicine in the top proportion of her year, her relatively poor grades no longer seem important. (She also incredibly big headed...but I won't go into that... )
instincts
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by hi everi1!)
like they weren't quite sure what they wer doing....as opoosed to someone with staight As
Most experienced doctors these days would have got around CCC for Alevels along time ago as thats what the entry requirement was a few years ago due to low demand. So the doctor you go to most probably did not have AAA or whatever in their Alevels.

At the end its the experience and your personality that makes you a good doctor and grades are just a small factor in deciding whether you get in or not.
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by instincts)
Most experienced doctors these days would have got around CCC for Alevels along time ago as thats what the entry requirement was a few years ago due to low demand. So the doctor you go to most probably did not have AAA or whatever in their Alevels.

At the end its the experience and your personality that makes you a good doctor and grades are just a small factor in deciding whether you get in or not.
My GP claims entry requirements have come down. I don't know what she got for her A-levels, but my Mum's friend (anesthetist - around 50 years old) got AAA in the three sciences.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (221)
51.28%
No (210)
48.72%

Watched Threads