Turn on thread page Beta

AQA Computing Unit 5 watch

Announcements

Ello

Well, what did you think of this one then? Particulalry that crappy mail-merge question and working
    out the fields in the last question.

Im sure there was an error in the data requirement things; it said somet like "the customer gives an
    order number", surely the order number will be determined by a record number or similar - you dont
    phone up a shop and say "oooh can i be order number 23784923 pretty please with sugar on top??".

OK apart from that tho I spose.

-djmatt

"Matt Hamer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> Ello[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Well, what did you think of this one then? Particulalry that crappy mail-merge question and[/q1]
    [q1]> working out the fields in the last question.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Im sure there was an error in the data requirement things; it said somet like "the customer gives[/q1]
    [q1]> an order number", surely the order number will be determined by a record number or similar - you[/q1]
    [q1]> dont phone up a shop and[/q1]
    say
    [q1]> "oooh can i be order number 23784923 pretty please with sugar on top??".[/q1]

That's what I though surly you don't request your own order number, I felt the biometrics question
    was a bit vague and so did the teacher at my school

Seamus

[q1]> Im sure there was an error in the data requirement things; it said somet like "the customer gives[/q1]
    [q1]> an order number", surely the order number will be determined by a record number or similar - you[/q1]
    say
    [q1]> "oooh can i be order number 23784923 pretty please with sugar on top??".[/q1]

Don't argos work on a system like that?

I had Edexcel units 5 and 6 today. Anyone else? I thought the first exam was fairly ok, whereas the
    second one contained many questions I wasn't too sure on. Whats hypermedia? I even looked it up in
    our textbooks, and it just says something like "A system of data in a computer e.g. video, audio".
    Not too helpful.

--
    Alex Studders Greggers Brackets

say

I thought it was just a reference for the customer's own benefit.

They use the same sort of system at Dabs, you identify an order with an identifier such as 'new pc'
    or 'graphics card' just so that you can refer to your own orders. That was why they mentioned that
    different customers could have the same Order ID.

As for the two papers, Unit 4 was super, lots of technical stuff, interesting, whereas Unit 5 was
    again boring - with stupid questions!

--
    Waynio

news:<[email protected]>...
    [q1]> Ello[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Well, what did you think of this one then? Particulalry that crappy mail-merge question and[/q1]
    [q1]> working out the fields in the last question.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Im sure there was an error in the data requirement things; it said somet like "the customer[/q1]
    [q1]> gives an order number", surely the order number will be determined by a record number or similar[/q1]
    [q1]> - you dont phone up a shop and say "oooh can i be order number 23784923 pretty please with sugar[/q1]
    [q1]> on top??".[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> OK apart from that tho I spose.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> -djmatt[/q1]

It wasn't too bad..but, as usual, very vague - esp. the questions about the passport. Explaining the
    techniques was easy but IMHO the other parts of the question were too general.

I think the last question was a tricky one. How did u tackle the SQL statement? I did it by running
    two seperate statements - first on the order table, and then on the customer table.

btw : what did u get for module 6?

On 17-Jun-02 15:59:07, Matt Hamer said:

[q1]>Im sure there was an error in the data requirement things; it said somet like "the customer[/q1]
    [q1]>gives an order number", surely the order number will be determined by a record number or similar[/q1]
    [q1]>- you dont phone up a shop and say "oooh can i be order number 23784923 pretty please with sugar[/q1]
    [q1]>on top??".[/q1]

Businesses who order things often give things their own order numbers.

One of my summer jobs one year was matching up invoices with purchase orders. This was so the
    company didn't pay invoices for things it hadn't ordered. People _do_ send invoices to companies on
    the off chance they'll pay them without checking. Obviously, the incoming invoices say which order
    number they correspond to.

If I as a business ordered 20 thousand widgets from a manufacturer I'd probably tell the
    manufacturer to quote my order number 2346 on all correspondence about it. The manufacturer might
    _also_ give the thing a number, in which case we might both have to quote both numbers on all
    correspondence.

--
    Adam Atkinson ([email protected]) Only some kind of a numbskull thinks he knows things about
    things he knows nothing about. (Amy Archer)

[q2]> > "oooh can i be order number 23784923 pretty please with sugar on top??".[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Don't argos work on a system like that?[/q1]

nah - you give em a product number not an order number...your order number is the one they give ya
    to queue up for innit, "order 142 is now ready for collection"

-djmatt

"Waynio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:v%[email protected]...
    [q2]> > Im sure there was an error in the data requirement things; it said somet like "the customer[/q2]
    [q2]> > gives an order number", surely the order number will[/q2]
    be
    [q2]> > determined by a record number or similar - you dont phone up a shop and[/q2]
    [q1]> say[/q1]
    [q2]> > "oooh can i be order number 23784923 pretty please with sugar on top??".[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I thought it was just a reference for the customer's own benefit.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> They use the same sort of system at Dabs, you identify an order with an identifier such as 'new[/q1]
    [q1]> pc' or 'graphics card' just so that you can refer[/q1]
    to
    [q1]> your own orders. That was why they mentioned that different customers[/q1]
    could
    [q1]> have the same Order ID.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> As for the two papers, Unit 4 was super, lots of technical stuff, interesting, whereas Unit 5 was[/q1]
    [q1]> again boring - with stupid questions![/q1]

I liked paper 4 apart from the machine code question any, which way did any one else do it.

Seamus

[q1]> I thought it was just a reference for the customer's own benefit.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> They use the same sort of system at Dabs, you identify an order with an[/q1]

ahh - **** . that makes sense. the paper didnt word it well though i dont think. i reread it so many
    times. it seemed half of it implied relational and half implied flat file, which i found very weird.

so it's kinda like reference names that you can use when you pay bills with online banking? that
    sorta thing.

[q1]> As for the two papers, Unit 4 was super, lots of technical stuff, interesting, whereas Unit 5 was[/q1]
    [q1]> again boring - with stupid questions![/q1]
    too right. 4 was good. i did that in Jan and got an A , woohoo!

-djmatt

ello

[q1]> It wasn't too bad..but, as usual, very vague - esp. the questions about the passport. Explaining[/q1]
    [q1]> the techniques was easy but IMHO the other parts of the question were too general.[/q1]
    yea it was a bit weird werent it. wonder what the mark scheme says.

luckily i had experience with the SQL before on me website, so I knew how to do it; you dont need to
    seperate queries.

SELECT Customer.CustName, Order.Despatched FROM Customer, Order WHERE Order.Despatched = True

but I think i screwed up the ordernumber ascending sort so i'll leave that out. i wrote ORDER BY
    ABCOrderNo Asc; but i dont think that on its own would work.

i reckon they might give the marks tho for two seperate queries. mark schemes are weird these days.

-djmatt

[q1]> ello[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q2]> > It wasn't too bad..but, as usual, very vague - esp. the questions about the passport. Explaining[/q2]
    [q2]> > the techniques was easy but IMHO the other parts of the question were too general.[/q2]
    [q1]> yea it was a bit weird werent it. wonder what the mark scheme says.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> luckily i had experience with the SQL before on me website, so I knew how[/q1]
    to
    [q1]> do it; you dont need to seperate queries.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> SELECT Customer.CustName, Order.Despatched FROM Customer, Order WHERE Order.Despatched = True[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> but I think i screwed up the ordernumber ascending sort so i'll leave that out. i wrote ORDER BY[/q1]
    [q1]> ABCOrderNo Asc; but i dont think that on its own[/q1]
    would
    [q1]> work.[/q1]

I put SELECT customer.custname FROM customer, order WHERE order.dispatched = yes ORDER BY
    order.abcorderNo

as they didn't as for the field dispatched to be returned just names of people whose orders had been
    dispatched

seamus

[q1]> luckily i had experience with the SQL before on me website, so I knew how[/q1]
    to
    [q1]> do it; you dont need to seperate queries.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> SELECT Customer.CustName, Order.Despatched FROM Customer, Order WHERE Order.Despatched = True[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]

hey, didnt the info about the database not say that the order despacted status (yes or not) is NOT
    stored in the database? I therefore assumed ALL entries in the order database were dispatched.

What did everyone do for the data flow diagram? for the first procecss box i did "get book id"
    second: "calculate fine" and the storage box was the library database.

I just so need an A in this module, but i am seeing many hole's in my performance! Ive easy got an A
    overall for the entire A-level but my uni wants A in A2 @#|@&%[email protected]%!!!

[q1]> I put SELECT customer.custname FROM customer, order WHERE order.dispatched[/q1]
    =
    [q1]> yes ORDER BY order.abcorderNo[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> as they didn't as for the field dispatched to be returned just names of people whose orders had[/q1]
    [q1]> been dispatched[/q1]

aye that sounds spot on to me actually -djmatt

[q1]> Businesses who order things often give things their own order numbers.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> One of my summer jobs one year was matching up invoices with purchase orders.[/q1]

that also make sense as well. wish theyd have worded the question better, d'oh!

-djmatt

[q1]> hey, didnt the info about the database not say that the order despacted status (yes or not) is NOT[/q1]
    [q1]> stored in the database? I therefore assumed ALL entries in the order database were dispatched.[/q1]

hrmm, im pretty sure it said it did need to store if it was despatched or not.

[q1]> What did everyone do for the data flow diagram? for the first procecss box[/q1]
    i
    [q1]> did "get book id" second: "calculate fine" and the storage box was the library database.[/q1]

i put "scan book" , "calc fine", and "library database", but you needed to draw on the arrows to. it
    was a 5 mark question. on the arrow goin from library db to calc fine , i wrote "date due back" and
    i cant remember whati wrote on the one from "scan book" --> "calc fine".

[q1]> I just so need an A in this module, but i am seeing many hole's in my performance![/q1]

ditto! i have to get an A for me points cos im shite at me other subjects. I got A's in all CPT1, 2
    and 4, and a D in coursework , module 3, whoops! A is still doable tho i think!

-djmatt

What did everyone put for the assembly language question on unit 4? i just continually used the CMP
    function to compare the different numbers but had no idea on the format.

god i hope we don't lose marks for using INNER JOIN in that last SQL question.

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1
    Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

that was the biggest wake up call of my life cos i cudnt answer ONE question in full

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.