This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I went to a talk given to 6th formers by director of education in our county. He is a Doctor (of education or someting like that - but that was his main interest). He says that research has highlighted the fact that kids do better in education if their mum's are an important force in it. It doesn't matter if your dad has qualifications and your mum has none, she is the one who shapes your success in academia.
What is your experience?
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
I went to a talk given to 6th formers by director of education in our county. He is a Doctor (of education or someting like that - but that was his main interest). He says that research has highlighted the fact that kids do better in education if their mum's are an important force in it. It doesn't matter if your dad has qualifications and your mum has none, she is the one who shapes your success in academia.
What is your experience?
It could just be related to genetics....
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i would say thats probably true in my experience. my dad doesnt pay a great deal of attention to my educational career, whereas its my mum i always spoke/speak to about alevel choices/university choices/interviews etc. etc. shes the one that pays attention to what im doing and actually knows what my situation is. my dad wouldnt even be able to remember which alevels i did lol.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
So you think that females are clever than males? Or just that its down to genes inherited from either mum or dad - in which case why would it be that mums have more influence than dads in academic success according to this man with a doctorate.
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
So you think that females are clever than males?
Erm...where and when exactly did I say that?

Anyways, what this 'Doctor' says is his own opinion.
not1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
no its down to cultural influences. generally speaking, men concentrate on working hard and women on looking after their children, including their educational welfare.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
My mum is clever, but my dad is cleverer.
.NK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
My parents are of pretty similar intelligence, although my mum's slightly more intelligent than my dad.
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
My mum is clever, but my dad is cleverer.
Having said that, my mother still has a MA (Cantab).
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Erm...where and when exactly did I say that?

Anyways, what this 'Doctor' says is his own opinion.
You haven't answered my question and your opinion on it is as important as everyone elses - re what you mean by genetics.
picju96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
My mum went to uni, and my dad didn't, but that's only because he didn't want to, so therefore it was my mum I talked to about going to uni, and my dad with all my homework up to GCSE, when he didn't understand my subjects anymore, then I was on my own.
king of swords
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It IS related to genetics: boys (XY) can only get their intelligence from their mothers, girls (XX) can get it from both their parents. Intelligence is on X chromosomes.
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by king of swords)
It IS related to genetics: boys (XY) can only get their intelligence from their mothers, girls (XX) can get it from both their parents. Intelligence is on X chromosomes.
Theory behind that, please?

Intelligence is controlled by a numer of different genes, and, as Le Chautier says, your parents' intelligence determines your maximum intelligence, but motivation and other factors determine how intelligent you really are.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I do understand the concept of genetics - but I disagree that males can only get their intelligence from their mothers'. Gender is determined by X and Y chromosomes but that is all.
If your theory was correct then fathers are of no consequence in the intelligence of their sons.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
My Dad is very practical, and I usually talk to him more about schooling etc (probably because he only works part time now) but my mum is very intelligent and much more career driven. In that aspect they are quite opposite. My dad isn't thick or anything, but he isn't academic.
king of swords
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Theory behind that, please?

Intelligence is controlled by a numer of different genes, and, as Le Chautier says, your parents' intelligence determines your maximum intelligence, but motivation and other factors determine how intelligent you really are.
I disagree, you could be incredibly motivated but not intelligent or intelligent but not motivated.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I disagree, you could be incredibly motivated but not intelligent or intelligent but not motivated.
I know plenty of the latter.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I think what Tek meant was that intelligence by itself is not the 'be all and end all'. To maximise it you must be motivated and supported.
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I think what Tek meant was that intelligence by itself is not the 'be all and end all'. To maximise it you must be motivated and supported.
Yes, King of Sords, I did mean that. Re read my post.
king of swords
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Yes, King of Sords, I did mean that. Re read my post.
Well yes there will be some external factors (ie. after birth) that will affect knowledge, etc...but as far as genetics go...what I said was true from what I have heard.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (385)
32.19%
No (811)
67.81%

Watched Threads