Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Are there any Unis/courses that don't ask for A Level in a language for their course?

    I would like to study French, possibly with Spanish at Uni but don't have either at A Level...I did get an A* in my French GCSE though.

    I know there are some places that you can take a language as part of a combined honours course and do it ab initio, but can you do the entire thing like that? :confused:


    Its depends. Most good universities require an A level language if u wanna start from scratch or GCSE. However i remember some unis that will accept u if u have GCSE in that language. Check the UCAS website. However i dont think its possible to do 2 languages from scratch. If u did a language ab initio in a combined degree, that might be enough. Unis normally want u to show linguistic ability.

    I don't think you could do 2 languages ab-initio as joint honours degrees in languages usually require 1 at A-level, but you might be able to do joint honours in either French or Spanish with a non-langauges subject. You could aways teach yourself the other one in the Foreign Languages Centre or do some kind of evening class

    Quite often, French is the only language the university will require at A-level, as it's the most widely available around the country. You'll have to email around and find out, as it's quite unlikely that at any of the 'top' unis you'd be able to do French and Spanish without an A-level in French. I think it tends to be for Oriental languages etc that they often don't mind if you've only got a good GCSE grade.
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing


people online now


students helped last year

University open days

  1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.