The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by robin22391
oh i think its a university book so you wont find it anywhere else, if you live in glasgow you could ask the glasgow university for the first year lab manual, but i will try to get mine and tell you everything later today.

or i could try scanning it.....we'll see.

Thanks alot, much appreciated.:smile:
Original post by LouisVuitton43
we play with fruit flies at glasgow university?

ohhh. when? 1A or 1B?

B

And mind not to breathe in the fumes, you will feel pretty ill.

get those windows open. seriously though you will know what i mean, and good luck.
Original post by TKD-KID-94
Thanks alot, much appreciated.:smile:

i will need an email address or something so i can send the scanned pages, the lab book i used was a borrowed one so dont trust the answers given.
:erm: stuck on ideas. want to play with bacteria.

EDIT: I had one idea but that only works if anyone knows how I can replicate a HPLC pump in school :erm: :nothing: or if anyone knows how I can extract proteins from saliva/milk.
Reply 24
yeah it worked fine.

i did 2 types of apple, red and granny smith
and then ascorbic, malic and citric acids to find best inhibiors
tested it with lemon juice and orange juice (squeezed) (then tested their pH and volume of vitamin C) to find best inhibitors to use in a fruit salad

i used the colorimeter to test how browning occured, so zeroed it with the juice from the apple, and then every 10 seconds recorded the reading.

i didnt centrifuge it, didnt need to. was lucky.
i mushed up the apple, and put it through a sieve cloth with sand? (dont know the name) and there were no bits

it was a good wee fast one :smile:, did lots of expirements really quickly and cheaply.

it may not have been the most fun but since we only have 4 weeks to do it in it seemed the most practicle.

i dont know how i did for it, ive emailed my teacher to find out, he should get back to me within a few weeks :smile:

My turn to do this experiment now, just im not sure where to begin! Was it pretty simple to set up and get going? My teacher isnt being the biggest help, was wondering if you could give me a few pointers with things such as planning, prelimnary experiments etc? Once i get going i will be fine, just where to begin is where i struggle
Would be hugely appreciated if you could help in any way

Thanks a lot!
Original post by Spook-LD
My turn to do this experiment now, just im not sure where to begin! Was it pretty simple to set up and get going? My teacher isnt being the biggest help, was wondering if you could give me a few pointers with things such as planning, prelimnary experiments etc? Once i get going i will be fine, just where to begin is where i struggle
Would be hugely appreciated if you could help in any way

Thanks a lot!

i began by googling the terms etc, like apple browning, catechol oxidase etc. there was a experiment set up type thing on plant sci, and i got a few good references eg.

Science And Plants For School, Inhibition of catechol oxidase in banana by heavy metals http://www-saps.plantsci.cam.ac.uk/worksheets/activ/prac2.html Visited: March, 2010

Maurice R. Marshall, Jeongmok Kim and Cheng-I Wei, (2000), Enzymatic Browning in Fruits, Vegetables and Seafoods http://www.fao.org/ag/ags/agsi/ENZYMEFINAL/Enzymatic%20Browning.html Visited, March 2010

edit: the link doesnt seem to work.... i did last year though :\

what i did was set up various variables to look at.

for example, the amount of catechol oxidase in different kinds of apples.

mines specifically was on inhibition of the enzyme, and how this inhibitor could be used in a fruit salad to keep apples fresh.

i did various experiments...

i used calorimetry to determine how much had browned.

i used mushed up apples, catechol and various inhibitors on two kinds of apples, eg citric acid, malic acid and ascorbic acid. then fresh versions eg lemon and orange juices

dont really know what else to suggest, if you have any Qs you can mail me :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
i did mine on the effects of salt on crops like wheat.
dont even attempt anything with bacteria, unless you have the proper equipment. you need university level labs, although im sure the friendly boyd orr building biology staff would help with that. in my experience people began faking results because the equipment provided by the school budget was awful.
if you can get fruit flies that would get you a good mark. i have a first year biology lab manual with loads of advanced higher type experiments. so if anyone needs suggestions.....

hii, Robin, i know this is like 3yrs later..:redface: buh am kinda interested in what u did and i ve got just two days to hand in a topic of investigation so i would appreciate if u can help me out. I had checking the effects of cellulase on soil activity in mind buh i have no idea how to go abt that. And abt the biology lab manual,how do i get one of those pls?
Original post by sosh-teddy
hii, Robin, i know this is like 3yrs later..:redface: buh am kinda interested in what u did and i ve got just two days to hand in a topic of investigation so i would appreciate if u can help me out. I had checking the effects of cellulase on soil activity in mind buh i have no idea how to go abt that. And abt the biology lab manual,how do i get one of those pls?

send me a message with your email and ill try to send you scans of the lab book.
in places like the aswan dam in egypt water is pushed up from underground and this leaves salt in the topsoil and leads to dessertification it also happens in australia alot. also think of salt from those salt trucks when it snows washing into the soil, or when farmers use saltwater to grow crops in africa. salt is bad for seed growth in high amounts, so you could get several different salts at several different concentrations each and test them with the growth of seeds like wheat barley etc.

therefore, effect of salt on seed growth.

the experiment in the lab book would be much more likely to get you a high grade if you can pull it off as it has alot of good content.
Reply 28
send me a message with your email and ill try to send you scans of the lab book.
in places like the aswan dam in egypt water is pushed up from underground and this leaves salt in the topsoil and leads to dessertification it also happens in australia alot. also think of salt from those salt trucks when it snows washing into the soil, or when farmers use saltwater to grow crops in africa. salt is bad for seed growth in high amounts, so you could get several different salts at several different concentrations each and test them with the growth of seeds like wheat barley etc.

the experiment in the lab book would be much more likely to get you a high grade if you can pull it off as it has alot of good content.

Thanks, the only problem is, am a new user here and i dont know how to send u messages unless its jst through replying yeah? anyway.. u can send it to [Mod edit: Email address removed. Please use PM's]
Would let u know when i get it, it would be really helpful and thanks once again :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
I love working with microbes! So simple!

lol jk

aseptic technique will be the death of me :colonhash:
Reply 30

I know this must be a pain but this project idea sounds pretty good and i was wondering if you could send me the scannings of the book as well if it wasnt too much trouble it would be greatly appreciated :tongue:
Reply 31
Hey, i am doing individual investigation for my unit 6. I really have no idea which investigation would be appropriate and able to get high marks, as all my proposal before this was rejected because it is too easy. Please help me. Thank you.
My investigation is on the effect of different coloured light on plant growth :smile: although I have to do some trials to make sure it'll actually work :/
Reply 33
yeah it worked fine.

i did 2 types of apple, red and granny smith
and then ascorbic, malic and citric acids to find best inhibiors
tested it with lemon juice and orange juice (squeezed) (then tested their pH and volume of vitamin C) to find best inhibitors to use in a fruit salad

i used the colorimeter to test how browning occured, so zeroed it with the juice from the apple, and then every 10 seconds recorded the reading.

i didnt centrifuge it, didnt need to. was lucky.
i mushed up the apple, and put it through a sieve cloth with sand? (dont know the name) and there were no bits

it was a good wee fast one :smile:, did lots of expirements really quickly and cheaply.

it may not have been the most fun but since we only have 4 weeks to do it in it seemed the most practicle.

i dont know how i did for it, ive emailed my teacher to find out, he should get back to me within a few weeks :smile:

im doing this experiment as my investigation and i was wondering did you soak the apple into the different inhibitors or mushed the apple up first before putting the solution of inhibitor? thank you :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by Rheadrox
I know this is a bit specific, but i was going to do my biology investigation on the effect of medication on enzymes, the problem is i have no idea what medication to choose, or how much!
Any advice?
(also, if you could suggest any other easyish investigations that'll get me an adequate grade that would be good, it took me weeks to come up with just that, and if that one doesn't pan out then I'm stuffed =/)

Hey! did you manage to come up with anything?
How's the experiment going?
Can you please tell me how you did the experiment?
Reply 35
Original post by Allanax182
I neeed suggestions!!?? I am reallly peed off cos i was planning on doing an investigation on effect of antibiotics on bacterial growth but someone else in my class is doing it so i have to reconsider... really have no idea where to start :\ Any suggestions would be reeally appreciated, any at all :biggrin::biggrin:x

hey! how were you planning on doing that investigation?
Reply 36
Original post by ayeen30
im doing this experiment as my investigation and i was wondering did you soak the apple into the different inhibitors or mushed the apple up first before putting the solution of inhibitor? thank you :smile:

Seeing as you have already done this experiment, do you remember the molar/% pf the acids that you used? I'll be doing the same experiment if it's approved :smile:
Reply 37
Can anyone help me with what else I could use to prevent browning of a banana?

I've got the basics like temperature, pH. I also have ascorbic acid, salt water, lemon juice and an enzyme inhibitor. I was wondering if it would be better to use more acids, or do you think that would get too repetitive, for example using citric acid even though that lemon juice has it. Or perhaps another acid? If not, do you have any other suggestions. I saw this product online it's called Fruit Fresh Produce Protector, it's meant to prevent browning of fruits but I've never saw it in shops, I saw it on amazon though :tongue:
Hello I am going to do this experiment for my A level Applied Science unit 7, I was thinking of doing this experiment on the shelf life of apple juice by juicing the apples my self and testing it with different preservation techniques such as ascorbic acid and vitamin C. I am not really sure what way to go about it or even the background research, if you have any information you want to give I would be happy to get it. Thank you
Im doing the A2 Unit 6 Biology and I desperately need ideas for the investigation? Im a distance learner doing the coursework online and Im a bit of a novice? I really need ideas I can do at home!
Please any suggestion would be good!! :smile:

Latest