The Student Room Group

Unofficial Higher/Advanced Higher Prelim Thread 2009

Meteorshower
Should we make a 2009 thread?

I'm going to be bold, at least partly because of the aesthetics of posting in a thread titled out-dated by 3 years. Worst that can happen is that this thread dies. :p: Maybe a mod can move the recent discussion from the other thread to this one?

How's everyone feeling about prelims?

I'm pretty laid back at the moment. After all, it's quite possible to improve dramatically upon any performance in the real exams (so that means relax, folks!) and I'm taking subjects which I am, in theory, reasonably good at!

Scroll to see replies

Good decisive action. :P I'm probably feeling more confident than I should be.
Reply 2
You know, mods aren't actually everywhere at once, it helps if you come and ask them to do things...
And exactly who said this was official?

Don't mind me, I'll just heckle from the back :angel:
Yep, I feel pretty confident aswell. I seemed to care so much more for higher prelims in 5th year and now I know exactly what i need to get into university I don't XD
Reply 4
Oh darn, I wouldn't have confessed we weren't omnipresent if I'd known you were a newbie :wink:
In any case, I've locked the other thread so carry on here, and stop proclaiming things are official :wink:
And good luck with prelims everyone :smile:
Reply 5
Aaah.
I have two weeks to revise.
I need to get my *** in gear.
But I got too caught up in the holidays, I hope I havent scuffed it for myself. Okay, starting Saturday (lol, not tomorrow) I will revise.
I have mine in February. Slowly getting the gears going - should be ok. Chemistry is a bit pedantic but otherwise physics and maths are good fun.
Reply 7
Don't know when mine are yet, although I don't think they start until February.

Definitely don't have an advanced higher history prelim until April. :s-smilie:
I'm so nervous for my advanced higher maths prelim, mainly because I haven't even thought about studying for months and I suck at it.
WEll, I'm doping

H English (Confident)
Int 2 Maths (Confident)
AH Drama (Kinda Confident, scored well in the 2 practice essays I have done so far)
AH Mod Studs (So/So)

I'm fgocusing more on H English and Int 2 Maths tbh, cause I need them to get into stirling. They start in February
Reply 10
I'm totally screwed. :biggrin:

Ah well...
Reply 11
I've done a bit of revision for my Highers, but still nervous as hell.

I really doubt I'm gonna do well in English - so far my essays have been 21's, which is fine... but my close reading is atrocious - on the last one I got 11/50 :frown: Have been reading the grade booster, and about to start some past papers now though, so hopefully that will improve :smile:

Feeling iffy about French (especially Listening) and Chemistry

Feeling confident about Physics and Maths
CallumFR
I've done a bit of revision for my Highers, but still nervous as hell.

I really doubt I'm gonna do well in English - so far my essays have been 21's, which is fine... but my close reading is atrocious - on the last one I got 11/50 :frown: Have been reading the grade booster, and about to start some past papers now though, so hopefully that will improve :smile:

Feeling iffy about French (especially Listening) and Chemistry

Feeling confident about Physics and Maths

With Higher English last year, I was the exact same. I got a tutor to help me with my close reading, I thought it wouldn't really make a difference but it really helped. In the final exam I didn't study so ended up messing up the essays really badly, but with the close reading I still got a B. So a tutor maybe?
advanced higher maths - don't care
Higher RMPS - Don't care
Higher psyscology- don't care.

maths is a write of. Other two i might revise for and if i do i will do great cos i is a genious.
Reply 14
emmalouiseyyy
With Higher English last year, I was the exact same. I got a tutor to help me with my close reading, I thought it wouldn't really make a difference but it really helped. In the final exam I didn't study so ended up messing up the essays really badly, but with the close reading I still got a B. So a tutor maybe?

Nice to know somebody's been in the same boat :o:

I was thinking about that, but my parents are really reluctant... and I don't have a job to pay for it myself. I'll try the past papers I've got and see how I do. I'll speak to my teacher again when I get back to school and maybe she can help me out during study periods or something if I can't get a tutor?

Thanks for the advice
CallumFR

I was thinking about that, but my parents are really reluctant... and I don't have a job to pay for it myself. I'll try the past papers I've got and see how I do. I'll speak to my teacher again when I get back to school and maybe she can help me out during study periods or something if I can't get a tutor?

Thanks for the advice

With me it was I was thinking about it too much and it was just overall confusing for me because of it. So the tutor just simplified it a bit..
Good luck anyways:smile:
Reply 16
CallumFR

Thanks for the advice

Have you tried any of the study books? There was one I found really, really useful. Can't remember the name but can look it up if you're interested?
Reply 17
RockyRoad
Have you tried any of the study books? There was one I found really, really useful. Can't remember the name but can look it up if you're interested?

Yeah :smile: I've been working my way through: the grade booster, how to pass higher english and the Close Reading book by Colin Eckford.
Reply 18
I'm never fussed about prelims, always do worse than I should :tongue:

But I think I really need to get down to some work this year! I've got 2 bad subjects! And both need self revision to do well! (English and French).

Business might be ok, not sure when the prelim is since we aren't near the end of the course yet.....

Ours are in start of Feb for French and end of Feb for English.
Reply 19
CallumFR
Yeah :smile: I've been working my way through: the grade booster, how to pass higher english and the Close Reading book by Colin Eckford.

Ah...It's the Eckford book that I liked, I think.

Latest

Trending

Trending