The Student Room Group

Physics CW:yay

why is it that all my coursework has to be handed in the same week?? + the fact that i have to revise for uni interview on wednesday :mad: gRrrRR. :vmad:

Ok i need some suggestions as to what to base my physics cw on. I get to choose to do any experiment in the world that i wish (using equipment from lab) and i need some suggestions as to what to do it on (e.g. measuring the k value on spring - but too simple)... I need something that isnt TOO simple but is EASY to do in the lab and easy to take results from. ANY suggestions are appreciated :tongue:layingba :redface:
Reply 1
measuring to value of L on a simple pendulum :wink:

You could try some phy5 experiments, if you look on the specification sheet with all the course structure of the physics a level for edexcel, you can see a list of experiments on the right hand side.

A good one would be, finding the specific heat capacity of copper. You could write well loads for the evaluation.
Reply 2
what does L stand for? and how would i do the pendulum exp?
i looked on the edxcel spec on their site and all i see is pages of useless mumjo jumbo.. is there a link u have directly to those exp??
And how would i find out the specific heat cap. of copper?? i know im a pain but plz help! thxx
Reply 3
sry the L thing was a crap joke. It's similiar to the experiment you listed above about finding k. But more simple.

Simple pendulum, measure Length, L against Period, T.

As T = 2pie root l/g

you can take readings of t and l to get g by plotting a graph, and comparing it to y = mx + c.

For your experiment to get k, you can do the experiment in two ways, via hookes law and T = 2pie root (m/k) and find which way is better. We did this in class. You can write quite a bit here. As you are doing 2 mini experiments and comparing and contrasting. F = kx [hookes law]

for specific heat capacity, i cant explain it well without writing 400 woods. If you got msn pm me you msn and i can draw it for you on whiteboard on msn.
Sry, if that's no help.
Reply 4
alkaeda
why is it that all my coursework has to be handed in the same week?? + the fact that i have to revise for uni interview on wednesday :mad: gRrrRR. :vmad:

Ok i need some suggestions as to what to base my physics cw on. I get to choose to do any experiment in the world that i wish (using equipment from lab) and i need some suggestions as to what to do it on (e.g. measuring the k value on spring - but too simple)... I need something that isnt TOO simple but is EASY to do in the lab and easy to take results from. ANY suggestions are appreciated :tongue:layingba :redface:

Measure the capacitance of a capacitor. Results just takes two secs. Then u manipulate it, draw log graphs using excel etc...... That's what i'm doing at the mo.... Have to hand it in on monday. I think it's to good quality.....
Reply 5
Them phy5 are better like the person above did. [phy5 for edexcel not ocr btw, we dont have any coursework]
Reply 6
nas7232
Them phy5 are better like the person above did. [phy5 for edexcel not ocr btw, we dont have any coursework]

I'm doing OCR and I have coursework :frown: . My school is doing the coursework modules. I much rather just take exams. But serious, give the capacitance coursework a try. You can literally do the experiment within 20-30 mins. But you need a program that logs your pd for you as your capacitor discharge through a resistor.
Reply 7
is ocr hard? ocr maths was a killer, edexcel is so much easier. Edexcel physics is v.easy, all you have to look out for is trick questions. Other than that, if you learn the theoritcal questions, its relatively easy. Dunno about the last module though.
Reply 8
nas7232
is ocr hard? ocr maths was a killer, edexcel is so much easier. Edexcel physics is v.easy, all you have to look out for is trick questions. Other than that, if you learn the theoritcal questions, its relatively easy. Dunno about the last module though.

Nah, not really. All my sciences, bio, chem, and phy ar with OCR, but Maths with edexcel. But the Jan physics paper on forces, fields and motion was a bit 'tricky'.
Reply 9
OOO the relationshipe of current with time in a discharging capacitor you can drow an exponantial graph and say that it look like decay graph something like that you can find the volatge too

Latest

Trending

Trending