Turn on thread page Beta

Well, I got an e-mail back from the U of Edinburgh saying that I can't apply for multiple courses in
    the same department, so that leaves me with a spare UCAS space. Since I've finally managed to get my
    parents to come around to thinking that me applying to Royal Holloway, London, is not the worst
    thing in the word (which they certainly thought at first!), I've decided to perhaps push the boat
    out a little further, if you will, and consider applying to either UCL or Kings.

What I want to know is, does UCL still interview? Their prospectus was a bit vague about this. Does
    Kings interview?

Yes, I could ask them myself via e-mail, but I've found that recently e-mails I've sent to
    universities have taken weeks to be replied to, probably the result of some busy exam period.

Of course, all of this is a bit pointless if I don't end up getting the grades at AS level, though I
    took a leaf out of Davido's book and worked out (by which I mean got someone else to work out for
    me) what I needed to get on the two physics papers for an A, and it turned out to be only 60%, so
    fingers crossed then...

Rich

"Richard Magrath" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> Of course, all of this is a bit pointless if I don't end up getting the grades at AS level, though[/q1]
    [q1]> I took a leaf out of Davido's book and worked out (by which I mean got someone else to work out[/q1]
    [q1]> for me) what I needed to get on the two physics papers for an A, and it turned out to be only 60%,[/q1]
    [q1]> so fingers crossed then...[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]

Remember tho, that the better you can do this year the less you'll have to do next year at A2....
    and ultimately the grades you get at A2 are more important than those at AS level.

RG

Richard Magrath wrote:

[q1]> What I want to know is, does UCL still interview? Their prospectus was a bit vague about this.[/q1]
    [q1]> Does Kings interview?[/q1]

You don't say what subject you applied for, but UCL did interview me, for Physics, though that was a
    couple of years ago. I'm not sure how much it counted towards an overall decision to give me an
    offer - I didn't perform particularly well but still got offered ABB. It was certainly a harder
    interview than Imperial's light little chat.

Alex

Richard Magrath ([email protected]) wrote:

[q1]> What I want to know is, does UCL still interview? Their prospectus was a bit vague about this.[/q1]

I make my usual point again: universities are organised into departments, and each department will
    devise its own admissions process. So it is silly to say "Does UCL interview?" etc. Some departments
    in UCL may, some departments may not. The fact that we in Computer Science at Queen Mary do hold
    interviews for most of those applicants we think have a serious chance of meeting our entrance
    criteria says nothing about what other departments at Queen Mary do. I have absolutely no idea what,
    say History, or English or Law do at Queen Mary. If they decided they would interview none of their
    applicants at all, that would be up to them.

Matthew Huntbach

I got offers from Kings, UCL and Edinburgh without interviews. I was post-A-level when I applied,
    mind you, so I got unconditional offers based on my AAA. I know someone who was interviewed when she
    applied to read Egyptology at UCL, and a good friend of mine had a UCL interview for Economics, so
    yes, they do interview.

btw UCL are very nice, they give lovely offers, and all the people who were interviewed there said
    the interviewers were great. I don't know anything about English (which is what you want to read, am
    I right?) but UCL is a great place for science I think. It's my insurance.

HTH.

M.

[q1]> Remember tho, that the better you can do this year the less you'll have to do next year at A2....[/q1]
    [q1]> and ultimately the grades you get at A2 are more important than those at AS level.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> RG[/q1]

It's all in the past now though, since I did the exam two weeks ago!

[q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> You don't say what subject you applied for, but UCL did interview me, for Physics, though that was[/q1]
    [q1]> a couple of years ago. I'm not sure how much it counted towards an overall decision to give me an[/q1]
    [q1]> offer - I didn't perform particularly well but still got offered ABB. It was certainly a harder[/q1]
    [q1]> interview than Imperial's light little chat.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Alex[/q1]

I'd be applying for English. I still haven't decided whether to risk putting UCL on my UCAS form
    yet, though. The thought of a big row with my parents over living in London doesn't appeal to me
    particularly. "The decision where and what to study is yours alone," say various guides to choosing
    a university, "take on board other peoples' advice, but remember the decision is yours". Not that
    easy in practice however.

Rich

Richard Magrath wrote:

[q1]> I'd be applying for English. I still haven't decided whether to risk putting UCL on my UCAS form[/q1]
    [q1]> yet, though. The thought of a big row with my parents over living in London doesn't appeal to me[/q1]
    [q1]> particularly.[/q1]

Why would you have a big row with your parents? What's it got to do with them?

[q1]> "The decision where and what to study is yours alone," say various guides to choosing a[/q1]
    [q1]> university, "take on board other peoples' advice, but remember the decision is yours". Not that[/q1]
    [q1]> easy in practice however.[/q1]

I don't see why - you don't have to be estranged from them to make up your own mind. My
    parents wanted me to do Maths or Computer Science but I was having none of it - it never
    resulted in an argument.

Alex

Alex Warren wrote:

[q1]> My parents wanted me to do Maths or Computer Science but I was having none of it - it never[/q1]
    [q1]> resulted in an argument.[/q1]

By "my parents wanted..." I don't really mean they actually *wanted*. Just that they suggested that.
    But it's not up to them to decide, and you should never let them dictate.

Alex

"Alex Warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    [q1]> Richard Magrath wrote:[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q2]> > I'd be applying for English. I still haven't decided whether to risk putting UCL on my UCAS form[/q2]
    [q2]> > yet, though. The thought of a big row with my parents over living in London doesn't appeal to me[/q2]
    [q2]> > particularly.[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Why would you have a big row with your parents? What's it got to do with[/q1]
    them?

Money. Parents don't want to help subsidise the high cost of living in London as a student - they'd
    probably prefer a cheaper environment - like Skegness? (no offence meant to Skegness residents, the
    name just amuses me)

[q2]> > "The decision where and what to study is yours alone," say various guides to choosing a[/q2]
    [q2]> > university, "take on board other peoples' advice, but remember the decision is yours". Not that[/q2]
    [q2]> > easy in practice however.[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I don't see why - you don't have to be estranged from them to make up your[/q1]
    own
    [q1]> mind. My parents wanted me to do Maths or Computer Science but I was[/q1]
    having none
    [q1]> of it - it never resulted in an argument.[/q1]

The near rows I had with my dad over GCSES...

"Languages? Why aren't you doing History and Geography?"

Andrew H

"Alex Warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    [q1]> Richard Magrath wrote:[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q2]> > I'd be applying for English. I still haven't decided whether to risk putting UCL on my UCAS form[/q2]
    [q2]> > yet, though. The thought of a big row with my parents over living in London doesn't appeal to me[/q2]
    [q2]> > particularly.[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Why would you have a big row with your parents? What's it got to do with[/q1]
    them?

They've spent years raising you, and in *their* minds they'll want "the best for you", so maybe it's
    worth listening, take it as another opinion if anything. I think in some cases it's actually worth
    trying to explain your reasons(via a talk/row/whatever), just to make them feel assured rather than
    ignoring them as if they meant nothing.

G.Sharma.

Andrew Hollingbury wrote:

[q1]> "Alex Warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
    [q1]> news:[email protected]...[/q1]
    [q2]> > Richard Magrath wrote:[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q3]> > > I'd be applying for English. I still haven't decided whether to risk putting UCL on my UCAS[/q3]
    [q3]> > > form yet, though. The thought of a big row with my parents over living in London doesn't[/q3]
    [q3]> > > appeal to me particularly.[/q3]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > Why would you have a big row with your parents? What's it got to do with[/q2]
    [q1]> them?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Money. Parents don't want to help subsidise the high cost of living in London as a student -[/q1]
    [q1]> they'd probably prefer a cheaper environment - like Skegness? (no offence meant to Skegness[/q1]
    [q1]> residents, the name just amuses me)[/q1]

Well, don't ask them for "extra" money just because you're going to uni in London. You get an
    increased student loan anyway. Tell your parents they don't have to give you "extra" subsidy - just
    ask for "some" subsidy. Which *might* be more than you might ask for if you were at uni elsewhere...
    but you don't know that, because you're not at uni elsewhere, so what have you got to compare it to?

Alex

Gaurav Sharma wrote:

[q1]> "Alex Warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
    [q1]> news:[email protected]...[/q1]
    [q2]> > Richard Magrath wrote:[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q3]> > > I'd be applying for English. I still haven't decided whether to risk putting UCL on my UCAS[/q3]
    [q3]> > > form yet, though. The thought of a big row with my parents over living in London doesn't[/q3]
    [q3]> > > appeal to me particularly.[/q3]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > Why would you have a big row with your parents? What's it got to do with[/q2]
    [q1]> them?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> They've spent years raising you, and in *their* minds they'll want "the best for you", so maybe[/q1]
    [q1]> it's worth listening, take it as another opinion if anything. I think in some cases it's actually[/q1]
    [q1]> worth trying to explain your reasons(via a talk/row/whatever), just to make them feel assured[/q1]
    [q1]> rather than ignoring them as if they meant nothing.[/q1]

Sensible enough, but don't let them TELL you where you're going to spend the next three/four years.
    That's just stupid.

Alex

Alex Warren <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<gck0hu8upv0fkuetn7e69hvjjb [email protected]>...
    [q1]> Gaurav Sharma wrote:[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q2]> > "Alex Warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q2]
    [q2]> > news:[email protected]...[/q2]
    [q3]> > > Richard Magrath wrote:[/q3]
    [q3]> > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > > > I'd be applying for English. I still haven't decided whether to risk putting UCL on my UCAS[/q3]
    [q3]> > > > form yet, though. The thought of a big row with my parents over living in London doesn't[/q3]
    [q3]> > > > appeal to me particularly.[/q3]
    [q3]> > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > > Why would you have a big row with your parents? What's it got to do with[/q3]
    [q2]> > them?[/q2]

Dad: "You don't really know what London's like, do you? It's a *horrible* place, imagine the worst
    part of Manchester times 10. Costs are sky high, you wouldn't be able to afford to go to the cinema
    or anywhere like that. It also has the most violent crime in England. You wouldn't be safe at all."

Then my Mum would remind me of the cost, how people from the South are all inherently evil
    (really!), and end with an authoritive "I wouldn't be happy at all for you to go to London" (or,
    alternatively, "If you want to go to London, fine, we're not stopping you" in a kind of
    do-this-and-you're-no-longer-my-son voice).

[q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > They've spent years raising you, and in *their* minds they'll want "the best for you", so maybe[/q2]
    [q2]> > it's worth listening, take it as another opinion if anything. I think in some cases it's[/q2]
    [q2]> > actually worth trying to explain your reasons(via a talk/row/whatever), just to make them feel[/q2]
    [q2]> > assured rather than ignoring them as if they meant nothing.[/q2]

I've tried explaining my reasons and so forth, but neither is willing to give an inch on the matter.
    "Row" was the wrong word to use - it's more likely that an 'argument' will be quickly and horribly
    unsatisfactorily 'resolved' (as described above), no-one will speak for a day or two, and then it'll
    be thankfully forgotten about.

[q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Sensible enough, but don't let them TELL you where you're going to spend the next three/four[/q1]
    [q1]> years. That's just stupid.[/q1]

It's not that bad, they've said nothing about what subject I want to take, even during the brief
    period I considered taking Neuroscience (!). My Dad heard someone use the phrase "Mickey-Mouse
    course" once and likes to bandy that about occasionally, but he doesn't really know enough about
    university to really make any judgements (for instance, he refers to all joint honours courses in
    that manner, even fairly obvious ones like English Lang & Lit). Even on location, for the most part
    they've been fairly quiet, except when Dad hears stories about somewhere or other that one of his
    magistrates' sons is attending, things like that.

It's just that the last thing I want to do is upset them, and they're both quite easily upset. To
    push UCL (they're still not keen on Royal Holloway, even when I repeatedly told them that it's not
    *really* in London) would badly risk that, and I have to ask myself whether or not it's worth it.

Rich

[q1]> Alex Warren <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
    [q2]> > Gaurav Sharma wrote:[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q3]> > > "Alex Warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q3]
    [q3]> > > news:[email protected]...[/q3]
    [q3]> > > > Richard Magrath wrote:[/q3]
    [q3]> > > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > > > > I'd be applying for English. I still haven't decided whether to[/q3]
    risk
    [q3]> > > > > putting UCL on my UCAS form yet, though. The thought of a big row[/q3]
    with
    [q3]> > > > > my parents over living in London doesn't appeal to me[/q3]
    particularly.
    [q3]> > > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > > > Why would you have a big row with your parents? What's it got to do[/q3]
    with
    [q3]> > > them?[/q3]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Dad: "You don't really know what London's like, do you? It's a *horrible* place, imagine the worst[/q1]
    [q1]> part of Manchester times 10. Costs are sky high, you wouldn't be able to afford to go to the[/q1]
    [q1]> cinema or anywhere like that. It also has the most violent crime in England. You wouldn't be safe[/q1]
    [q1]> at all."[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Then my Mum would remind me of the cost, how people from the South are all inherently evil[/q1]
    [q1]> (really!), and end with an authoritive "I wouldn't be happy at all for you to go to London" (or,[/q1]
    [q1]> alternatively, "If you want to go to London, fine, we're not stopping you" in a kind of[/q1]
    [q1]> do-this-and-you're-no-longer-my-son voice).[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q3]> > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > > They've spent years raising you, and in *their* minds they'll want[/q3]
    "the best
    [q3]> > > for you", so maybe it's worth listening, take it as another opinion if anything. I think in[/q3]
    [q3]> > > some cases it's actually worth trying to explain[/q3]
    your
    [q3]> > > reasons(via a talk/row/whatever), just to make them feel assured[/q3]
    rather than
    [q3]> > > ignoring them as if they meant nothing.[/q3]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I've tried explaining my reasons and so forth, but neither is willing to give an inch on[/q1]
    [q1]> the matter.[/q1]

In the end it's your decision though, and I can't see any arguments erupting if you just ignore them
    and go ahead and apply, bearing in mind it's just one of your six choices.

G.Sharma.

[email protected] (Richard Magrath) wrote in message
    news:<d7983a51.0206171151.76ce91 [email protected]>...
    [q1]> Well, I got an e-mail back from the U of Edinburgh saying that I can't apply for multiple courses[/q1]
    [q1]> in the same department, so that leaves me with a spare UCAS space. Since I've finally managed to[/q1]
    [q1]> get my parents to come around to thinking that me applying to Royal Holloway, London, is not the[/q1]
    [q1]> worst thing in the word (which they certainly thought at first!), I've decided to perhaps push the[/q1]
    [q1]> boat out a little further, if you will, and consider applying to either UCL or Kings.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Yes, I could ask them myself via e-mail, but I've found that recently e-mails I've sent to[/q1]
    [q1]> universities have taken weeks to be replied to, probably the result of some busy exam period.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Of course, all of this is a bit pointless if I don't end up getting the grades at AS level, though[/q1]
    [q1]> I took a leaf out of Davido's book and worked out (by which I mean got someone else to work out[/q1]
    [q1]> for me) what I needed to get on the two physics papers for an A, and it turned out to be only 60%,[/q1]
    [q1]> so fingers crossed then...[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Rich[/q1]

Hiya,

I went for an interview at UCL in marchish time for a computer science place next year. The grades
    are AAB (which i most def wont get) but the interview was really laid back, slightly chatty. They
    really just want to see ure alround personality, and that u really have a real reason for doing
    the subject.

The campus was really nice, altho ive heard the halls are a bit mediocre; but in london ure never
    gona be bored anyway.

Hope i helped

Richard Magrath wrote:

[q1]> My Dad ... doesn't really know enough about university to really make any judgements (for[/q1]
    [q1]> instance, he refers to all joint honours courses in that manner, even fairly obvious ones like[/q1]
    [q1]> English Lang & Lit).[/q1]

Look, if he doesn't know anything about university, why the hell are you taking advice from him at
    all? Your quote paraphrasing what he says about London should be enough to convince you of that.

As I said to Katy, it's important to argue with your parents, even if it upsets them. It's perhaps a
    day or two of misery, as an alternative to three or four years. Your choice.

Just ask yourself one question - who are you? Richard Magrath? Or Richard's Dad Jr.? Will you always
    be this weak in the face of parents who disagree with you? Or would you like to start living your
    life, how you want it?

Alex

[q1]> Alex Warren <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
    [q2]> > Gaurav Sharma wrote:[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q3]> > > "Alex Warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q3]
    [q3]> > > news:[email protected]...[/q3]
    [q3]> > > > Richard Magrath wrote:[/q3]
    [q3]> > > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > > > > I'd be applying for English. I still haven't decided whether to[/q3]
    risk
    [q3]> > > > > putting UCL on my UCAS form yet, though. The thought of a big row[/q3]
    with
    [q3]> > > > > my parents over living in London doesn't appeal to me[/q3]
    particularly.
    [q3]> > > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > > > Why would you have a big row with your parents? What's it got to do[/q3]
    with
    [q3]> > > them?[/q3]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Dad: "You don't really know what London's like, do you? It's a *horrible* place, imagine the worst[/q1]
    [q1]> part of Manchester times 10. Costs are sky high, you wouldn't be able to afford to go to the[/q1]
    [q1]> cinema or anywhere like that. It also has the most violent crime in England. You wouldn't be safe[/q1]
    [q1]> at all."[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Then my Mum would remind me of the cost, how people from the South are all inherently evil[/q1]
    [q1]> (really!), and end with an authoritive "I wouldn't be happy at all for you to go to London" (or,[/q1]
    [q1]> alternatively, "If you want to go to London, fine, we're not stopping you" in a kind of[/q1]
    [q1]> do-this-and-you're-no-longer-my-son voice).[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q3]> > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > > They've spent years raising you, and in *their* minds they'll want[/q3]
    "the best
    [q3]> > > for you", so maybe it's worth listening, take it as another opinion if anything. I think in[/q3]
    [q3]> > > some cases it's actually worth trying to explain[/q3]
    your
    [q3]> > > reasons(via a talk/row/whatever), just to make them feel assured[/q3]
    rather than
    [q3]> > > ignoring them as if they meant nothing.[/q3]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I've tried explaining my reasons and so forth, but neither is willing to give an inch on the[/q1]
    [q1]> matter. "Row" was the wrong word to use - it's more likely that an 'argument' will be quickly and[/q1]
    [q1]> horribly unsatisfactorily 'resolved' (as described above), no-one will speak for a day or two, and[/q1]
    [q1]> then it'll be thankfully forgotten about.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > Sensible enough, but don't let them TELL you where you're going to spend[/q2]
    the
    [q2]> > next three/four years. That's just stupid.[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> It's not that bad, they've said nothing about what subject I want to take, even during the brief[/q1]
    [q1]> period I considered taking Neuroscience (!). My Dad heard someone use the phrase "Mickey-Mouse[/q1]
    [q1]> course" once and likes to bandy that about occasionally, but he doesn't really know enough about[/q1]
    [q1]> university to really make any judgements (for instance, he refers to all joint honours courses in[/q1]
    [q1]> that manner, even fairly obvious ones like English Lang & Lit). Even on location, for the most[/q1]
    [q1]> part they've been fairly quiet, except when Dad hears stories about somewhere or other that one of[/q1]
    [q1]> his magistrates' sons is attending, things like that.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> It's just that the last thing I want to do is upset them, and they're both quite easily upset. To[/q1]
    [q1]> push UCL (they're still not keen on Royal Holloway, even when I repeatedly told them that it's not[/q1]
    [q1]> *really* in London) would badly risk that, and I have to ask myself whether or not it's worth it.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Rich[/q1]

London, whether Royal Holloway or UCL, should be fine. Both are good for English. My YO has just
    graduated from the former and has friends at the latter. She benefited enormously from access to
    first class theatre, lectures by writers at the Royal Festival Hall, and general fun at the NFT,
    ICA, music gigs, and so forth.

Ginnie

The problem with Royal Holloway is that it is very right wing. There is no getting away from this fact. This coupled with its claustrophobic, isolated, unfriendly surroundings makes the place quite horrible.

Do you want to spend three or four years somewhere like that?

Better to apply to UCL or Kings.

Although academically Royal Holloway is quite good-just don't live there is my advice.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.