The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

The "I've been pooled" thread

Thought I might as well start it.

So, uh, what were the conditions for auto-pooling again? 7A*s at GCSE or 95% in AS modules... I didn't get either of them (hi Graphic Design). So maybe that's a good sign. Someone posted in another thread the different 'pool categories' (or speculated ones at least)... anyone fancy guessing which one they might be in?

Also I hate waiting. It sucks :frown:

EDIT:
Minerva
Anyone who is pooled has a reasonable chance of an offer - beyond that no-one can say. You can't be sure what category you are in - even if you think may have been auto-pooled you might be wrong! - so it doesn't help the stress levels to speculate about whether particular categories have a better or worse chance of success.

This is a tough process in which some people hit the jackpot and some don't. The bottom line though is that anyone who is pooled is of Cambridge standard - the problem is capacity, pure and simple - so even if it finishes up with a rejection, you can take credit for getting that far. Don't forget that there's another 8,000 or so people out there who got rejected outright.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
... if you say so, I thought it'd be better to have one just for pooled people, because it's a bit different to acceptance/rejection.

On the other hand maybe I just wanted to feel special.

*shrug* sorry.
Reply 2
don't appologise to the silly little newbie. :rolleyes: they only joined today, yesterday or the day before, they don't know anything :p: a thread solely for pooled people is a good idea, imo.
Reply 3
tsr111
:p: I'm not a newbie, this is just a new username. I have been on here for around 1yr. :p: :biggrin:

joke :p: haha normally the standard response to that is "OMFG wtf do you know you've only been here 8 months blahblahblah yattayatta blahblah"
are you waiting for a letter toooo?
It's far too early for me to be out of bed - this is purely to make sure I get to the post 1st :p:
Reply 4
and I have just been pooled :redface:
Reply 5
sadie-kiki
and I have just been pooled :redface:

Ditto. I don't satisfy any of the criteria for academic pooling...so my interviews must have gone well!(ish) lol
Reply 6
dumbdunc
Ditto. I don't satisfy any of the criteria for academic pooling...so my interviews must have gone well!(ish) lol

I have 7A*s and 2 AS at 90%+ - so I guess I must have had good interviews...
Reply 7
sadie-kiki
I have 7A*s and 2 AS at 90%+ - so I guess I must have had good interviews...

I beat you at GCSE! Lol but sadly not at AS. I averaged 86% I think.
Reply 8
pooled! yet more waiting...
Reply 9
Ooo I'm joining the club. I been pooled by Queens' for comp sci...
Reply 10
Pooled at Robinson for Music
I really thought today was the end of waiting, where I could sort of move on with things.
I can't believe that I'm waiting yet again :frown:
I'm in the pool too...anyone else feel as if it was an anticlimax?

I'm not sure whether I was pooled because of my results or not...I got more than 7 A*s and more than 3 ASs with more than 90%, but not the 3 most relevant ones...Bio, Maths and Econ...Chem was 85%.

So...good luck everyone...again =).
Reply 12
what the heck is academic pooling?
p.d
what the heck is academic pooling?

If you got more than 7 A*s and 3ASs at more than 90%, you are auto-pooled if you're not accepted
Reply 15
I got really good GCSE grades but my AS levels were pretty bad; I had two > 90% and then the rest were < 80%. Could I be automatically pooled? Or would I have to be pooled under some other catagory?
Sorry, I really didn't research the pool properly, only really considered Acception/Rejection.
Any ideas how I can explain it to my parents? In basic terms?
I got pooled too. My GCSEs were rubbish so I'm definitely not in P. Why couldn't they just reject me straight out! :mad:
Reply 17
olivermc
I got really good GCSE grades but my AS levels were pretty bad; I had two > 90% and then the rest were < 80%. Could I be automatically pooled? Or would I have to be pooled under some other catagory?
Sorry, I really didn't research the pool properly, only really considered Acception/Rejection.
Any ideas how I can explain it to my parents? In basic terms?

you would have been pooled under a different category.
Reply 18
littleshambles
I got pooled too. My GCSEs were rubbish so I'm definitely not in P. Why couldn't they just reject me straight out! :mad:

I think you're the first Downing applicant on TSR to hear back from them. So I guess they didn't send the letters a day late/2nd class then. Too bad you got pooled but who knows, you might still get in. :smile:
Reply 19
ive just been as wel. Not looking forward to the whole interview process again. Do you think we'll be expected to re-read any mentioned books again?

and also will there be a possibility of work being submitted to new college if it wasnt needed for your first choice?