The Student Room Logo
This thread is closed

The "I've been pooled" thread

Scroll to see replies

commando
I haven't been to Durham (as it's too far away) either, nor seen the video. I literally only chose Castle because I was looking at the Durham site about 4 days before my application had to be in, and I saw it was a castle, so thought why not.

Fair enough! Well, the video makes it look very uptight and... to put it politely, aware that it's in a wonderfully imposing castle, if you see what I am inferring about the students and general atmosphere!

On the other hand it's highly likely I'm just being unnecessarily mean! It is stunning, which is an extremely superficial but pretty nice reason to apply. :p:

Yeah, I haven't visited for the same reason! Much too far.
Reply 2521
bibliotheque
I haven't visited the Durham colleges myself...

Did any of you fellow Castle applicants find the video really off putting?

Yeah it was a bit :smile:. I was talking to someone who used to go to Durham who knew the main guy in the video and said when he first went he was a fairly normal guy but became 'rah'ified over his time there for some reason :biggrin:.
frederizia
Glad to see you liked it since most people see it as the 'worst' thing that could happen to them (as it's women only and a new college). Good luck with getting in!

I'm almost glad I got a straight rejection, I wouldn't want all the agony that pooling involves.

Thanks! I don't think I will get in though; bizarrely I felt a lot more confident after my first interview even though the odds were much worse! I know, at first I felt a bit like that, but when I got there my opinion changed completely.

I would say though, that it's taken me till this afternoon to appreciate fully how much I liked it and loved the tutors there... Ah well, fingers crossed!
commando
I haven't been to Durham (as it's too far away) either, nor seen the video. I literally only chose Castle because I was looking at the Durham site about 4 days before my application had to be in, and I saw it was a castle, so thought why not.

LOL. That was my first thought. My thought train was literally
"Oh, a castle! How beautiful! Why not?"
"But it's so competitive...I probably won't get in."
"Hey look, Van Mildert has a lake and ducks and rabbits. Okay then."

Thank god I really liked VM after researching more fully into it later :p:
Mithra
Yeah it was a bit :smile:. I was talking to someone who used to go to Durham who knew the main guy in the video and said when he first went he was a fairly normal guy but became 'rah'ified over his time there for some reason :biggrin:.

Oh my God! That's terrible! And hilarious!

I think that's put me off the college - I'm the sort of awful and superficial idiot that's susceptible to movements such as 'rahification'! :headfire:
Reply 2525
bibliotheque
Fair enough! Well, the video makes it look very uptight and... to put it politely, aware that it's in a wonderfully imposing castle, if you see what I am inferring about the students and general atmosphere!

On the other hand it's highly likely I'm just being unnecessarily mean! It is stunning, which is an extremely superficial but pretty nice reason to apply. :p:

Yeah, I haven't visited for the same reason! Much too far.

I'm starting to be turned off it, also because of that post about the guy being rah-ified
Reply 2526
I look forward to my rejection letter in the post tomorrow. :proud:
Reply 2527
commando
I'm starting to be turned off it, also because of that post about the guy being rah-ified

Hehe, don't worry its no worse than any other college in Durham :biggrin:. It is a very nice college, but remember you will probably only live actually IN the castle for 1/2 years max. Most first years don't live in the castle and you have to live out in the middle years.
just got rejected by queens' for economics...was expecting it really...
Reply 2529
kingkanoot

Did you get a letter?
Reply 2530
kingkanoot

Good luck elsewhere.
kingkanoot

Good luck with the rest of your applications :smile:
This kind of reminds me of a horror movie or computer game - everyone has a feeling that elimination is inevitable, one by one, but no one knows who will go first and who will follow...

I just keep expecting some serial killer to jump out and scream BOO and hack me to pieces (aka get a rejection letter) :p:
And then the words GAME OVER will come onto the screen and because I am dead I will pass over to the 'other side' (aka LSE)

And... now I just sound deluded ignore me
em100
Did you get a letter?

yep a thin white envelope..
bibliotheque
Good luck with the rest of your applications :smile:

thanks a lot mate, best of luck with ur cambridge application!

i'm just pinning my hopes on LSE now..
Nothing from Cambridge today :frown: Though I got my Durham offer, so looks like I'm going there :biggrin:. I doubt I'll get an offer from Cambridge, but I'll be doubly happy if I do! I'm glad to get a safe offer from Durham though...AAB rather than the standard AAA...
has anyone in the pool received anything from Jesus College?? An interview? An offer? A rejection? Anything?! :biggrin:

It sounds as though many colleges sent out rejection letters today - maybe my weekend-ruiner is on the way for tomorrow's post....!

It wouldn't surprise me if decisions were made much earlier in the week (as someone mentioned earlier) - you'd think they'd pick out their very favourites as soon as possible, in which case everybody who's left hasn't got a chance....... the SAQ thing just backs up what seems pretty obvious i.e. that if it still says your original college on it, and hasn't been changed, that means no other college is going to give you an offer (which is again obvious, because nobody has contacted you!), and that because only an extremely small number of people are made offers by their original college, it's just a matter of time before it's over..

My fingers, like several of yours seem to be, are crossed for good news for Durham, whenever I might hear back from them! :biggrin:

mr_m
purple-girl
Nothing from Cambridge today :frown: Though I got my Durham offer, so looks like I'm going there :biggrin:. I doubt I'll get an offer from Cambridge, but I'll be doubly happy if I do! I'm glad to get a safe offer from Durham though...AAB rather than the standard AAA...

Congrats on Durham! That's brilliant!

My application there still hasn't even been passed on to another college :puppyeyes:
no news today ....which seems like good news !

petrified of tomorrow's mail :puppyeyes:
bibliotheque
Congrats on Durham! That's brilliant!

My application there still hasn't even been passed on to another college :puppyeyes:

Thank you! And don't worry about that...the AES is apparently inaccurate a lot of the time, so though it may say it's not been passed on, it probably has! Unless they're waiting for all the applications, that is! Good luck :smile: