The Student Room Logo
This thread is closed

The "I've been pooled" thread

Scroll to see replies

sadie-kiki
on the info sheet that I was sent, it says offers without further interview people are called between the 5-10 January :smile:

Did it say "call" or something like inform?
Reply 481
Rearadmiral
Did it say "call" or something like inform?

"some offers are made to pooled applicants without further interview"
sadie-kiki
"some offers are made to pooled applicants without further interview"

5-10, huh. But some people from this thread already got called from fitz about offers yesterday
Reply 483
elwoodc
You pool-ys seems to know what you're talking about with it all so I would appreciate some advice? :smile:

(Just got rejected Clare college philosophy)

According to the pooling guideline it says...

Now... I got 9A* at GCSE and 3 AS's 94% (admittedly one was general studies...the others Biology and RE) but also 3 other AS's at 88/89%...
So... leeeetle pissed off :p: ...

Is it worth an e-mail/ phone call do you think?!

I know I technically fall just below the mark but stilll... I have nothing to lose... it's not like they can do anything to me now!!

I so wanted to be at least pooled :frown:

(Good luck to everybody waiting :smile: )

That's really weird... because it now says
"both 7A*s or more at GCSE and 90% or more in each of their three
best/most relevant AS Level subjects"

emphasis theirs.
Hmm. Wonder if it was changed? Is someone watching us? Has an admissions tutor seen my ridiculous mental image of them all sitting round a swimming pool? Oh god.

Edit: Ooh just realised this could be good news for me... maybe I'm not in category P?
I got 90+ in all my modules but 6a*s... which is a liiittlle irritating. However, I don't think I wasgood enough this year, so I'd have been in an autopool and then rejected. I might reapply next year with grades+ confidence+ more wider reading+ focussed interests... hmmm
I hate being in category P which in all likelihood I am in. Especially for such an immensely competitive subject as History.

Might reapply too but *prays for Durham*
Reply 486
sTucker
That's really weird... because it now says
"both 7A*s or more at GCSE and 90% or more in each of their three
best/most relevant AS Level subjects"

emphasis theirs.
Hmm. Wonder if it was changed? Is someone watching us? Has an admissions tutor seen my ridiculous mental image of them all sitting round a swimming pool? Oh god.

Edit: Ooh just realised this could be good news for me... maybe I'm not in category P?

Its always been both you needed rather than just one or the other. :wink:
nirvathema
I hate being in category P which in all likelihood I am in. Especially for such an immensely competitive subject as History.

Might reapply too but *prays for Durham*

*prays with you for Durham*

same college too, but I'm law.
Actually it's such an arbitrary cut off line for category P. What if someone got 300/300, 300/300, 300/300, 300/300 and 6A*? Compared to 7A* and 4x 240/300.
Jaysus
*prays with you for Durham*

same college too, but I'm law.

Good luck to us!! And that we don't get switched to another college :p:

Any of you reckon that the DoSs actually go through files that aren't marked either A or B? I think its rather improbable, given the fact that, for SPS alone, there are more than ~100 people pooled very year, and i cant imagine all the 20+ Directors of Studies pouring through each of these files.
Reply 491
OK Folks - the tally to date:

88 people have posted in this thread or the Decisions thread to say that they have been pooled - so far only one decision though (congratulations littleshambles!). There are four people who have said they're pooled but have given neither subject nor college.

Subject List:

AMES 2
Arch & Anth 2
Classics 2
Computer Science 4
Economics 6
Engineering 2
English 5
Geography 2
History 4
Land Economy 1
Law 9
Mathematics 8
Medicine 4
MML 5
Music 1
Nat Sci 13
Philosophy 7
Politics 1
SPS 4
Theology 2
Not Stated 4

College List (ie, pooled from)

Christ's 5
Churchill 2
Clare 5
Corpus Christi 1
Downing 5
Emmanuel 3
Fitzwilliam 4
Girton 4
Gonville & Caius 2
Homerton 1
Jesus 5
King's 4
Magdalene 2
Newnham 1
Pembroke 4
Peterhouse 2
Queen's 6
Robinson 2
Selwyn 2
Sidney Sussex 5
St Catherine's 3
St John's 3
Trinity 5
Trinity Hall 2
Not Stated 11
Rearadmiral
Any of you reckon that the DoSs actually go through files that aren't marked either A or B? I think its rather improbable, given the fact that, for SPS alone, there are more than ~100 people pooled very year, and i cant imagine all the 20+ Directors of Studies pouring through each of these files.

...Ah. That would suck. Then my file would just get shoved to one side and collect dust. I think they'd just look most carefully at those marked A, and so forth.
Rearadmiral

I have my doubts about them considering any application which isn't A or S.
Reply 494
Does anyone know how many people are pooled every year per subject?
Reply 495
DougieG
Look on the Cambridge site for Admissions Statistics - the breakdown by subject does give the numbers of people by college who got offers after being pooled - but you have to add it all up yourself to get the total figure. Someone has posted a link to it in this thread....!
Reply 496
Economies_of_scale
I have my doubts about them considering any application which isn't A or S.

I think I may well be in 'S', as one interview was good, the other was not. My academics are probably quite average, even for Arch and Anth however.
Oh dear I panic everytime the phone rings.
Academix
I think I may well be in 'S', as one interview was good, the other was not. My academics are probably quite average, even for Arch and Anth however.

I'd say being an S is better than a B - your fate still lies in your hands due to the high chance of a second interview.
Reply 499
DougieG

Here is the link: http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/statistics/

Latest

Latest