Considering dropping A2 subject, advice needed Watch

This discussion is closed.
Neonmariner
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Here's the situation so far - Nottingham Trent have made me an offer of 120 points based on the subjects I am currently taking (A2 Maths, A2 Physics, AS ICT); the reason it is so low is because I am taking a third year of A Levels, and I am assuming that this is to be added to the 140 I aquired last year (from two A-Levels) to make a total of 260. I mainly recieved rejections from the other unis so I will probably take this as my firm choice.

In these subjects, I am predicted a B in ICT and a C in Maths...however, the problem lies with Physics. Before half term, my physics teacher told me that I will have to work substantially hard to even pass the subject, and has suggested that I drop the subject so I can concentrate on aquiring the above grades in the other two subjects (he knows about the offer.) I do agree that this could be a good idea, as I don't particularly enjoy the subject, and I would rather concentrate on getting good grades in the other two subjects instead of simply passing physics and potentially affecting my other grades.

Although I am somewhat in favour of dropping, I am worried that dropping Physics might affect my offer. I am not totally sure whether the offer requires me to get 120 points by passing all three subjects, or to achieve 120 points regardless of whether I drop/get a U in one of the subjects. Can anyone confirm which of these is correct? Or would I be better off contacting the uni (even though I haven't accepted the offer yet) before making a decision?

One more thing - if I do decide to drop physics, would my AS Physics grade still count towards the offer? I have a D at AS (I did this two years ago at my old college), which I believe is worth 30 tariff points. If this did count, then this would technically reduce my offer to 90 points - although I am capable of achieving the 120, this would relieve the pressure somewhat.

Any advice would be great.
Jump
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Contact the uni before doing anything.
I expect dropping physics would be fine unless it specifically says you need to have 2 6-unit awards.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
This is quite a risky thing to do. A2 subjects worth a lot. If I were you, I would continue it, as it will affect your offer.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If your offer doesn't specify the number of A-levels you need to get your 120 points from, I'd definitely contact the uni before dropping it. I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem though since, if I understood your post right, yo already have 2 A-levels and 1 AS (physics) and are doing another 1 A-level (maths) and 1 AS (ICT) this year? That will give you 3 A-levels and 2 AS, which is more than you need.
Neonmariner
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Well I got into contact with the uni, and they said that it will be perfectly fine to drop Physics, and that my AS grade will still count towards the offer, therefore reducing it to 90 points, which I should be able to reach easily. So it is looking very likely that I will drop it. Thanks for the advice.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.22%
They might tell the bully (34)
9.44%
I don't think they'd understand (55)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (139)
38.61%
There's nothing they could do (106)
29.44%

Watched Threads

Latest