Possible unis for 2006 entry Watch

This discussion is closed.
Kew
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
Why do you say that? Is it just because they're not 'top' unis or some other reason as well? I don't really want to live in a big city, which kind of rules out all the London unis, Manchester, Newcastle, Birmigham, Bristol, Liverpool....
Remember, Royal Holloway isn't actually in London, even though it's part of the University if London. It's in Egham in Surrey, near Windsor and Staines.

Definitely one to consider, if it does your particular course...
af1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
dont count on oxbridge your grades will really hinder your application

MY OPINION
ZigZag
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by af1)
MY OPINION
And nothing more!

GCSEs are not an accurate indication of academic potential. If she has the ability to succeed the admissions tutors will see that at interview.
horrorboy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
dont u have to pay £3000 a year for 2006 entry's? or do the LEA pay for it in the right conditions?
Richy Rich$$
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yep u do.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by af1)
dont count on oxbridge your grades will really hinder your application

MY OPINION
I'm not counting on it, I know my grades aren't all that, I just think it might be worth a try
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
(Original post by Richy Rich$$)
ull definitely get an interview, and thats really the deciding factor. it is quite important to aim high for ure AS. Cam ask u for ure exact mark for each unit, so its worth trying to get high As. Please dont think im being disrespectful, but ure lack of A*s might go against you. But as i said the interview is ure real chance. U seem really knowledge about French from ure posts- half the people in my class still didnt even know how to use the subjunctive by their A2 exam.! And u seem to be able to argue really well so thats in ure favour. Cam are quite keen are grammar tests at interview, so if u can show some deeper grammar knowledge and their use in writing they really like that. Like pluperfect subjunctive, past anterior, and past historic- all are only literary tenses now. Literature however can be peoples downfall sometimes. They can ask u so many very complex questions on book- most of them are experts on lit. However i went in talking about linguistics and history and managed to completely avoid the topic, although i had a few books up my sleeve just in case. It depends on ure interests tho'. If ure confident about lit go for that. Personally i chose a historical topic to research- French resistance to the Algerian War and linguistics- i read A history of the French Language by Peter Rickard. And they gave me plenty to talk about.

I wouldnt think they would care about ure AVCE.Most academics probably wouldnt know how to use a computer, lol! U could even get away with not putting it on ure UCAS form. I got a E in additional maths and i didnt put that down. If u wanna be sure tho u could write to the exam boards to decline ure qualification.
Thanks for all your help Don't worry, I don't think you're being disrespectful- I know most applicants will probably have much better GCSE grades than me! I'm not really interested in linguistics. I read all the time though, and I do English lit for A-level, so I might try reading a few French novels and go from there. That's why I'm trying to decide now whether or not to apply because if I do, I'll need to start preparing soon. I want to work on my grammar as well, and like you said, maybe try some of the more obscure tenses that you don't really need to know but might come up. I thought you could only decline your grade a few weeks after getting the results?
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Have u thought about a possible college yet?
I've narrowed it down to about 7 or 8, I think. One of the state-friendly ones like Fitzwilliam might give me more of a chance though. I don't want to push my luck by applying to a really prestigious one!
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
(Original post by kew96158)
Remember, Royal Holloway isn't actually in London, even though it's part of the University if London. It's in Egham in Surrey, near Windsor and Staines.

Definitely one to consider, if it does your particular course...
Thanks for that, I'll check it out.
Richy Rich$$
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
I've narrowed it down to about 7 or 8, I think. One of the state-friendly ones like Fitzwilliam might give me more of a chance though. I don't want to push my luck by applying to a really prestigious one!

Dont go with Fitzwilliam is really ugly and slightly out. Colleges like Magdalene, Sidney Sussex and St Catz are less competitive but they are still pretty. Apparently the most competitive ones this year were, Kings, Clare, Downing, Trinity, and Emmanuel. I think Emmanuel was also the most competitive for MML.
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Dont go with Fitzwilliam is really ugly and slightly out. Colleges like Magdalene, Sidney Sussex and St Catz are less competitive but they are still pretty. Apparently the most competitive ones this year were, Kings, Clare, Downing, Trinity, and Emmanuel. I think Emmanuel was also the most competitive for MML.
Thanks for that. Well done even more on your offer- from one of the most competitive colleges as well!
twiga
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Sheffield is good for languages so I'm told.

UEA is a much smaller language school that the others you've mentionned which gives it a friendly feel. The campus itself is a bit of a concrete jungle but the accomodation is all new and has won awards for its architecture. My offer is for French and ab initio Russian and its BCcc so a good insurance offer
summer_glaz
Report 14 years ago
Which school is good at architecture engineering??thanks
schmeeble
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
how is 1A*, 6 A's and 3 B's not good????

Essex has a good languages department. My friend does French, Spanish and Italian. I think they generally like you to have one language done to A level and then the other ones you can do intensive in the first year, then you will go away for a year in your 3rd year to either one of the three countries to either study or teach over there and i think you also have to spend part of your summers abraod.

I dont know what the grades are , but they aren't astronomically high. I think around the B mark at a level.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (161)
59.19%
No I haven't decided yet (65)
23.9%
Yes but I might change my mind (46)
16.91%

Watched Threads