6476: Bassett's Pole Questions??

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Ian/Cath Ford
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I've been able to get hold of some notes on 6476, the source of which seems to be "close to" Sue
Warn (who sets the paper). I can't guarantee any of this, although it does all make sense. Some
things you might like to think about....

The first point is that there must, apparantly, be some reference to sustainability. I'd not read
that anywhere in any of the literature, bit it does make sense when you consider that it is such a
huge issue and that this is the synoptic paper and all. It could be to consider if the development
is sustainable or to suggest modifications or policies which are sustainable. You could consider,
for example, whether BP is sustainable for Birmingham (remember, sustainability can be economic,
social and environmental) - is this development of any use to the city or will it only benefit
Sutton Coldfield (and we know, from the sources, that SC is an affluent part of B - and can quote
figures to prove that can't we?); is greenbelt development justifiable when there are so many
(figures) smaller brownfield sites available which need redevelopment?; will this actually take
development *out* of B?

Think about the reasons for issues such as public transport having been put in.... What
possibilities are there for people who will work at this site to use anything other than cars? At
Cambridge Sci Park, iirc, 72% are sole car users....

Might be handy to have some kind of defnition of sustainabilty available (my source suggests
learning a definition by heart....)

Secondly, a "strongly hinted" question is some kind of opinion analysis. If not, you'd certainly
need to include it somewhere. How about a table?? Maybe some kind of conflict matrix? You could use
the opinions in Fig 5 as the basis - are there others to add (e.g. sheltered housing....)

Then take a look at the questionairre. Is there good opinions stuff to take from that? Note the low
retun rate (6500 from 88665 in SC). Will you need to criticise the methods or possibly devise
altenrtive methods - using primary and secondary research? She likes that sort of question and has
used it previously for sure.

OK, so what of questions? Think of 3 questions - but see q3 carefully. Watch the time, of course.

Q1 - likely to be scene setting. Could be general greenbelt issue (see the note on the paper about
this) or, more probably, something about the site itself. Maybe adv/disadv of the site?? Source says
look at a forcefield analysis (which is basically giving a score to each +/- and then adding them up
to see which one wins. Tabular approach best) I'd be surprised not to see something on physical and
human characteristics of BP.

Look at 15 marks for this - so take c.25 mins.

Q2 - Probably something to do with the 5 sites. OK, so it's pros and cons of each - prob use a
table. But: SW says there won't be enough time to do all the sites and all the criteria in the exam
- so make reference briefly to analysis you've done previously (e.g. site A was rejected on
environmental grounds because <briefly>)

Look at 25 marks - so maybe 45 mins. Hint here is criteria - there are in the resource booklet *BUT*
also read the letter carefully.

Q3 - OK, here's a fun little thing. Apparatnyl this may well be split into *up to* 5 sections -
essentially creating more than 3 overall questions. Careful with the timing - I might leave a little
more time for this than I'd do normally. Look for:

a) monitoring with primary and secondary fieldwork (sec: letters in newspapers etc.?);
b) prioritising - but of what?? Maybe management - e.g traffic management??
c) cost-benefit analysis???? But haven't you kind of already done this?
d) Envvironmental Impact Assessment - maybe this could drop in with part a?
e) How to pacify the residents oppossed to the plan - this is a good possibility.

They don't all seem to make sense as seperate questions - and given how my source begins I'd be
surprised to see nothing at all on sustainability in the last bit (although it could be Q1 I guess)

There we go - that's all I have really (although there is 12 sides of stuff....). Be interested to
hear opinions, as always.

Ian

--
Ian, Cath & Eoin Ford The view from Beccles

Support clubs against Carlton & Granada: Boycott ITV world cup coverage.

You know what to do: delete the dots but leave the .s to reply to us.
Danny
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I had to resort to a groups.google.com search to find your post Ian, this ntl news server has such
crap retention times. I was getting worried that I actually dreamed you had posted 6476 info!

Anyway, I've been looking at the pre-release stuff all day today, although not intensively because
it gives me a headache. Why did we have to get this Bassett's Pole crap - it all seems complicated
compared to previous examples of DMEs/IAEs whatever you want to call them.

For one, there isn't many clear differences between the sites. I mean they all threaten the natural
environment to some extent. Whether it would mean developing over listed buildings, sites of local
importance for nature conservation, sites of importance for nature conservation, archeological sites
etc etc. There doesn't seem to be one site in particular that will compromise many of these things,
there doesn't seem to be one that will retain most of them. Is there really a great distinction?
This is why I have problems with this paper. I think I'll do a table for preparatory reasons, maybe
try and find differences.

Flicking through, Figure 8 is also dedicated to conservation issues. My guess is there will probably
be a whole question dedicated to these issues.

About Figure 10. - Summary of Consultation Exercise. You said there was a low return rate (6500
from 88665 in Sutton Coldfield). But isn't the return rate actually "around 250" as the paper
says, from 6500 invitations to participate? Just checking on this one. That would mean the return
rate is stupidly low! Hmm what's it called when hardly anyone gives an opinion again? Completely
forgot the word.

Finally what's also confusing to me is Figure 3(b). It just doesn't make sense to me, please
explain! For example, for Premium sites it says under Numbers required "2 sites to be on offer".
Call me stupid but this doesn't make sense, there are either 2 sites required or not! Then, under
Number of sites availible, instead of saying how many are on offer, it says Nil. Huh? Am I just in
dumb mode or what, please explain!. I totally do not understand this table.

One last point, what is a 'Longbridge' as in Figure 5, A. Looked around and I can't find a
definition.

Ok I seem to always moan about these modules but I had to get all that off my chest!

Anyone else have problems, or even better, solutions?

Dan
David Mountjoy
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Danny" <[email protected]?.mo c> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> I had to resort to a groups.google.com search to find your post Ian, this ntl news server has such[/q1]
[q1]> crap retention times. I was getting worried that I actually dreamed you had posted 6476 info![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Anyway, I've been looking at the pre-release stuff all day today, although not intensively because[/q1]
[q1]> it gives me a headache. Why did we have to get this Bassett's Pole crap - it all seems complicated[/q1]
[q1]> compared to previous examples of DMEs/IAEs whatever you want to call them.[/q1]

Agreed! I can't wait until it's all over.

[q1]> For one, there isn't many clear differences between the sites. I mean they all threaten the[/q1]
[q1]> natural environment to some extent.[/q1]

IMHO, Site B is the best, but I agree there isn't a clear 'winner'. And I'm still confused as to why
the residents were told Sites A and B were unlikely to be chosen.

[q1]> Finally what's also confusing to me is Figure 3(b). It just doesn't make sense to me, please[/q1]
[q1]> explain! For example, for Premium sites it says under Numbers required "2 sites to be on offer".[/q1]
[q1]> Call me stupid but this doesn't make sense, there are either 2 sites required or not! Then, under[/q1]
[q1]> Number of sites availible, instead of saying how many are on offer, it says Nil. Huh? Am I just in[/q1]
[q1]> dumb mode or what, please explain!. I totally do not understand this table.[/q1]

I think that "2 sites are required" in order for the local economy to continue to grow. The actual
number of sites available is nil, which explains why Bassett's Pole is so important - it is the only
site that remotely fits the criteria.

[q1]> One last point, what is a 'Longbridge' as in Figure 5, A. Looked around and I can't find a[/q1]
[q1]> definition.[/q1]

IIRC, Longbridge was the name of the Rover car plant in the West Midlands that closed, causing
massive une,ployment in the area.

[q1]> Ok I seem to always moan about these modules but I had to get all that off my chest![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Anyone else have problems, or even better, solutions? [/q1]

Loads of problems, sadly few solutions. The problem is that I could spend hours on this, and still
not feel confident at the end of it. Just try to relax...easier said than done!

Bye! David
Ian/Cath Ford
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:39:33 +0100, Danny <[email protected]?.mo c> wrote:

[q1]>I had to resort to a groups.google.com search to find your post Ian, this ntl news server has such[/q1]
[q1]>crap retention times. I was getting worried that I actually dreamed you had posted 6476 info![/q1]

And I had a union meeting last night so didn't get back here till

Never mind, I think David's filled you in on most. Longbridge is right - they basicaly don't want to
suffer more from deindustrialisation. B, I think is best because the others aren't - maybe think
about the *type* of development (i.e. high tech). Watch the access issue.

Yes, there is only one premium site being designated. Perhaps that's an issue - should they look
again? There'd be mileage in that argument,

Key points: *Enjoy it* - you have to learn little and it's a challenge; read the letter like a hawk;
keep a really close eye on time; don't panic; use lots of figures; technical terms! *Enjoy it again*

If you need to post this morning on anything specific, I shall probably take a look at google at
work at about 11.

Ian
--
Ian, Cath & Eoin Ford The view from Beccles

Support clubs against Carlton & Granada: Boycott ITV world cup coverage.

You know what to do: delete the dots but leave the .s to reply to us.
Danny
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Eek!

It was ok but on the questions on sustainability i just couldn't think of much really, same for the
BNRR question. Only wrote about one and a half pages on each, mostly jibberish. Pure mental block

Yay it's all over!!

Dan
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (93)
26.96%
No (252)
73.04%

Watched Threads