This discussion is closed.
fionah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
I just looked at the DfES website, and worked out (because my parents are low income) that I won't have to pay fees and I should also be able to get the maximum loan which is £4930 (IF I go to either of my 2 first choice unis, in london)

I was wondering. Firstly, does Royal Holloway count as being in London for loans purposes or will I be on £4000? If I was to live inside Central London and commute to Royal Holloway (say I was to move in with my bf and his flat mates) ? (Say RH wasn't inside the loan area, and Central London is.. I presume I'd still only get the £4000??)

Secondly (or thirdly or fourthly, depending on how many points I've already raised) : what is a loan ideally supposed to cover? Because I will be lucky if my accomodation is covered by my loan!

Finally, when do I pay the loan back & at what rate? Also, if the option was there to use inheritance money instead of taking out a loan, would that be more viable? Or not? Would you consider borrowing the money from your parents instead (where possible)?

I thought ucas was the tough bit, now I find out all of these He1 and he2 forms need doing as well.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad:
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by fionah)
I just looked at the DfES website, and worked out (because my parents are low income) that I won't have to pay fees and I should also be able to get the maximum loan which is £4930 (IF I go to either of my 2 first choice unis, in london)

I was wondering. Firstly, does Royal Holloway count as being in London for loans purposes or will I be on £4000? If I was to live inside Central London and commute to Royal Holloway (say I was to move in with my bf and his flat mates) ? (Say RH wasn't inside the loan area, and Central London is.. I presume I'd still only get the £4000??)

Secondly (or thirdly or fourthly, depending on how many points I've already raised) : what is a loan ideally supposed to cover? Because I will be lucky if my accomodation is covered by my loan!

Finally, when do I pay the loan back & at what rate? Also, if the option was there to use inheritance money instead of taking out a loan, would that be more viable? Or not? Would you consider borrowing the money from your parents instead (where possible)?

I thought ucas was the tough bit, now I find out all of these He1 and he2 forms need doing as well.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad:
With regards to paying back the loan, I believe you pay it back when you start working and are earning a certain amount of money.

love Bhaal****
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
my loan nearly pays my accomodation.

you pay it back once your earning over £15000 (well it will be by the time you get there) at i think about 7% of your wages.

the intrest on it is negligable (they say)

its by far the best way of getting money.

obviously if your rents are rich enough to pay for your uni, then dont take a loan out.

love Katy ***
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Where do you find out how much you're liable to pay?
My dad may be a millionaire but I would prefer a student loan so I can say I paid my own way, though due to his income I would owe a hell of a lot :mad:...
DanMushMan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ickle_katy)
my loan nearly pays my accomodation.

you pay it back once your earning over £15000 (well it will be by the time you get there) at i think about 7% of your wages.

the intrest on it is negligable (they say)

its by far the best way of getting money.

obviously if your rents are rich enough to pay for your uni, then dont take a loan out.

love Katy ***
its worth taking a loan out just to put it in a higher interest account.
Rates are increasing this year by quite a lot, it won't be anything like at the rate of inflation anymore.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
You can only pay it back once you're working.

love Unregistered ***
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by DanMushMan)
its worth taking a loan out just to put it in a higher interest account.
Rates are increasing this year by quite a lot, it won't be anything like at the rate of inflation anymore.
Well inflation is above the target (though within the margin). Even though it seems stable enough to me and harmless enough. I wouldn't alter the interest rate if it sustains a stable inflation rate. But then there are other factors <yawn>...
Good plan Dan hahaha, make a nice profit!
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
You can only pay it back once you're working.

love Unregistered ***
What if you stop working while in the process of paying off the loan?
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Well inflation is above the target (though within the margin). Even though it seems stable enough to me and harmless enough. I wouldn't alter the interest rate if it sustains a stable inflation rate. But then there are other factors <yawn>...
Good plan Dan hahaha, make a nice profit!
i'm don't fully understand what you said!!
All I know it that they're increasing the interest rate of the student loans, so we'll be paying a lot more back.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i'm don't fully understand what you said!!
All I know it that they're increasing the interest rate of the student loans, so we'll be paying a lot more back.
Oh I thought you meant the Bank of England's interest rate!
Woah! Where am I???
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
What if you stop working while in the process of paying off the loan?
you stop paying.

as you do if you fall below the £15000 mark.

or die.

love Katy ***
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ickle_katy)
you stop paying.

as you do if you fall below the £15000 mark.

or die.

love Katy ***
Huh, but there is even a tax on death. Inheritance tax. I only get 60%???
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Huh, but there is even a tax on death. Inheritance tax. I only get 60%???
its the most ridiculous and unfair tax there is.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
its the most ridiculous and unfair tax there is.
You an eldest son too?
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
You an eldest son too?
lol, yes, but its still unfair. Maybe my parents will move all their assets into malaysian accounts.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
lol, yes, but its still unfair. Maybe my parents will move all their assets into malaysian accounts.
I know it's unfair, I want it all!!! Not the restaurants though I ain't bothered with those. Do Malaysian accounts pay good interest or are they not taxed on inheritance or something?
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I know it's unfair, I want it all!!! Not the restaurants though I ain't bothered with those. Do Malaysian accounts pay good interest or are they not taxed on inheritance or something?
i'm not 100% sure, but I am nearly sure that they don't charge anywhere near as much as 40%, we have the highest rate in the world I think. Or you could move stuff to the Isle of Man...
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i'm not 100% sure, but I am nearly sure that they don't charge anywhere near as much as 40%, we have the highest rate in the world I think. Or you could move stuff to the Isle of Man...
Or just transfer ownership of everything before you die...
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Or just transfer ownership of everything before you die...
think you have to pay capital gains tax or something.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
think you have to pay capital gains tax or something.
Yeah grrr...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (78)
11.91%
Virtual campus tours/open days (159)
24.27%
Live streaming events (52)
7.94%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (59)
9.01%
A uni comparison tool (153)
23.36%
An in-person event when available (154)
23.51%