Which Uni are you NOT applying to?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
We have had lots of threads on here asking people where they have applied to and why so I propose a varitation on a theme:

Which Uni that you originally though of as a potentially good place to study have you ended up not applying to and why?

Let me begin -

I quite fancied Durham, whilst it may get saddled with the "Oxbridge reject" tag it is still one of the best places in the UK to study and probably third behind the "big two".

Upon visiting the place I found the City to be a small but delightful setting however despite my initial enthusiasm for this I later thought that its small size could prove limiting over the course of three or four years.

The standard of teaching at the Uni is obviously exceptionally high and the colleges are beautiful however they served to remind me of my time at boarding school (which I hated).

Most of the students I met seem to be of the same personal profile - backgrounds of the upper middle classes and very much the same sort of person I encountered at boarding school. Whilst I apreciate that all Durham students are not like this I did get the impression that these people accounted for a large number of them. With this in mind I was relativley amused when I went into Castle Bar and people were ordering glasses / bottles of wine instead of the more traditional student drinks.

Whilst there is nothing wrong with this type of person I felt as though there was a somewhat lack of diversity in the people I met with very little representation from the working classes or ethnic minorities. I am not slating this, just making an observation.

All in all the place and Uni seemed excellent and I am in no way questioning its credential as a place of study however -

For someone who hated the public school mentality it did seem to me as an extention of the public school system. Whilst many would argue that this is not true I have to remember that I could have been (if I got in) spending 3 or 4 years of my life there and that just because it may be good for one person does not mean that it is good for the next.

My final, lasting thought of the place? Er...well there were some fit girls - mmmmmm posh totty!!!

I wonder how long before someone slates me for seeming to diss Durham?
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I thought this thread would have been you having a go at all those 'which uni is better' threads, but this is a good call Mark!

I originally though St Andrews. A very good uni, I liked the flexibility of the degree structure, the fact that I would walk out with an MA (if I did well heeheehee), and the fact that if I had an address there I wouldn't pay fees! But my mum nearly fainted when she heard it was in Scotland. I tried to play the Prince William card (because she woke me up to tell me Diana died so I assumed she was into the Royals, heeheehee the granny lived with them, typical Asian family!) but she wasn't having me going to Scotland.
The nature of the people of Newcastle drew me to the uni there. Then I decided that wasn't enough of a factor.
I still have to win my folks round on Manchester since I'm seriously considering it as an alternaive to Cambridge or Queen Mary. Wish me luck!

There's mine.
jediknight007
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I ain't applying to Oxbridge, or any other non-London universities in fact. Reason is because I already live in London and don't see why I should move elsewhere. The universities here are great enough anyways ie.LSE and UCL.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
I ain't applying to Oxbridge, or any other non-London universities in fact. Reason is because I already live in London and don't see why I should move elsewhere. The universities here are great enough anyways ie.LSE and UCL.
Don't forget Queen Mary!!!

My god the Asian women there are so fit!!!
DanMushMan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Don't forget Queen Mary!!!

My god the Asian women there are so fit!!!
but its in a dump
emporium
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I thought I was going to apply to UMIST, then I went to the open day. It seemed reasonable, I already knew that it has high academic standards and a good emplyability record, however the picture painted of the uni at the open day was pretty uninspiring. The hour-long introdutory talk consisted solely of talk about 'how good Manchester is', which is fair, it is a mint place, but weren't we there to hear (mainly) about the uni?
The campus is very small, suited to some peoples' tastes, but not mine. The campus is also quite a-way-away from the main 'student strip' in Manchester, where all the cheap bars & clubs, and proper student atmosphere be.
During the lunch break I watched much of the student population of UMIST go by outside the main building, two problems became evident, firstly the lack of girls! (which you kind of gather because it's science & tech), and secondly that there were far too many gimps for my liking (real gimps this is).
Then the organisation of the open day was poor, entire departments in some cases were unaware that the open day was taking place, and hadn't organised any tours, printing of department materials or anything, not too impressive really...
So the overall impression was bad = me no applyey
jediknight007
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by DanMushMan)
but its in a dump
Ditto. That's what puts me off going there. I keep thinking of East London as grotty (nothing to do with the culture). I have lived in East London before but I now live in SE London which I think is a cleaner place and I prefer studying in C.London anyways.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
Ditto. That's what puts me off going there. I keep thinking of East London as grotty (nothing to do with the culture). I have lived in East London before but I now live in SE London which I think is a cleaner place and I prefer studying in C.London anyways.
Oi! I've been a Tower Hamlets boy my whole life, I object!!!
Still it's a quality uni. Considering the area it's lucky it's a campus-based uni. And yes I know Mile End is a bit of a dump. But Canary Wharf and the West End ain't far away!
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Oi! I've been a Tower Hamlets boy my whole life, I object!!!
Still it's a quality uni. Considering the area it's lucky it's a campus-based uni. And yes I know Mile End is a bit of a dump. But Canary Wharf and the West End ain't far away!
but you'd be scared to walk anywhere outside the campus at night.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
but you'd be scared to walk anywhere outside the campus at night.
Not me personally, I usually walk the streets of the East on my way home from something or other. I always keep my head up and shoulders forward, so muggings aren't an issue for me (I know I may come across as arrogant and naive but it's true. Guys that get mugged look vulnerable and don't help themselves. Girls can't help but appear vulnerable, sorry lasses). Hopefully there's no need to step out of campus...
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Not me personally, I usually walk the streets of the East on my way home from something or other. I always keep my head up and shoulders forward, so muggings aren't an issue for me (I know I may come across as arrogant and naive but it's true. Guys that get mugged look vulnerable and don't help themselves. Girls can't help but appear vulnerable, sorry lasses). Hopefully there's no need to step out of campus...
lol, famous last words......
I hear in Tooting (st georges) girls aren't allowed to live on the ground floor of the student accomodation, because of the threat of rape.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I hear in Tooting (st georges) girls aren't allowed to live on the ground floor of the student accomodation, because of the threat of rape.
What good is that??? "Ooh rapists wouldn't dare take the stairs"...
And it's not like guys can't be raped either (even though the law only recognised this 10 years ago)... I'm just nit-picking now innit?
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
What good is that??? "Ooh rapists wouldn't dare take the stairs"...
And it's not like guys can't be raped either (even though the law only recognised this 10 years ago)... I'm just nit-picking now innit?
well i think the greater threat is through windows.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
well i think the greater threat is through windows.
Huh? No man's piece is that long!
With that very stupid (and for that reason I find it humourous) thought I bid you goodnight. Or good morning, whatever.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Most uni halls don't allow girls on the ground floor...even in crime free places like Egham in Surrey (royal holloway)

I asked specifically to be put on the ground floor when I moved to Southampton (because my husband(then boyf) is in a wheelchair and it would be nice to have him visit occassionally) but they wouldn't allow it.

There's no real logic behind it - it's the same thing as some school banning photo's for fear of paedophiles - fear of lawsuit should something bad happen however unlikely.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 17 years ago
Not applying to York even though it is a top Uni and Comp Sci degree from there would be higly valued.

Im not applying because I need some sort of nightlife and I didn't like how York only seemed to have "oldy worldy" pubs and almost no decent clubs nearby. If they would like to relocate York a bit closer to Leeds then I would certainly have applied there.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Last year I applied to Manchester to do Maths and Businss and UMIST to do management. At first galnce the Uni's looked very good through the prospectus. When I visited Manchester Uni, I was totally board, I went into the classroom, and the atmosphere looked crap, the desks where those old wooden ones, with 'I luv be' scratched into them, along with all manner of dents and graffiti. I sat down, and it was like a 20 minute talk of how good Manchester as a city is, not the uni itself. I actually nearly fell asleep during the whole presentaion.

Umist was alright, I liked the largge and newish seminar rooms. But again, they did the same thing like Manchester.

I originally thought I would stay in Manchester, I got into all my courses (didn't get the grades, missed out by 20 points) but decided I wanna do law instead. I liked UMIST a lot, and got offered computer science instead, but its not waht I wanted to do, so I thought forget it. Even though tis a nice Uni, I wouldn't wanna go to trhat uni just becuase it looks nice and compromise what I want to do in life.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by emporium)
I thought I was going to apply to UMIST, then I went to the open day. It seemed reasonable, I already knew that it has high academic standards and a good emplyability record, however the picture painted of the uni at the open day was pretty uninspiring. The hour-long introdutory talk consisted solely of talk about 'how good Manchester is', which is fair, it is a mint place, but weren't we there to hear (mainly) about the uni?
The campus is very small, suited to some peoples' tastes, but not mine. The campus is also quite a-way-away from the main 'student strip' in Manchester, where all the cheap bars & clubs, and proper student atmosphere be.
During the lunch break I watched much of the student population of UMIST go by outside the main building, two problems became evident, firstly the lack of girls! (which you kind of gather because it's science & tech), and secondly that there were far too many gimps for my liking (real gimps this is).
Then the organisation of the open day was poor, entire departments in some cases were unaware that the open day was taking place, and hadn't organised any tours, printing of department materials or anything, not too impressive really...
So the overall impression was bad = me no applyey
I have friends at UMIST and can relate to your views.
Adhsur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I am not applying to any London universities for the following reasons because they're too far from where I live, too cramped, crowded, horribly busy and in general an ugly hectic place to be.

I would have loved to apply to St. Andrews, because it looks perty and seems reasonably respected but again i wouldn't want to be far away in some ickle place in scotland...plus it is overated as a uni because of the prince going there!!

Lastly, I am not applying to any redbricks...manchester, birmingham etc...they just don't appeal to me at all.
deanimate
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
Man i am still deep into trying to find out which smegging uni's to apply to and so no fully formed opinion on each uni i have disregarded. But...there is one that ive just heard too many unpleasant facts (or so the people say) about to consider a viable choice anymore. That uni is Bradford - muggings, racial tension, rat infestation...and its located right near the city centre isnt it? Which would kill me as im a country bumpkin at heart

Anyhow after hearing all that i thought, Nooooooooo. In no way am i trying to have a go at it as i havent even been there but when you hear such a volume of negative feedback its kinda time to vamoose and get back to feeding the sheep/horses

If anyone here had a firsthand idea of Bradford, be it good or bad, could you put down what you think? Would be nice to hear more opinions on it!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (551)
50.6%
No (538)
49.4%

Watched Threads