Which Uni are you NOT applying to?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Juleah
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
I looked around Bristol and was very unimpressed by what I saw. I went to the medicine open day and was very disappointed.
I didn't aply to any of the London Medical schools because a. to expensive to live in london for at least 5 years and b. to much of an opportunity to go home when I want to and not live independantly.
I was going to apply to Sheffield & Aberdeen, but were too far away.
Didn't fancy applying to the new medical courses, just because I didn't get a chance to look around them.
Now at Southampton and loving it.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by MatthewWxm)
I've applied quite blindly in truth, as the only uni I've applied to which I've actually been to is Cardiff, where a mate is in uni already doing the same course as I want to do.

The unis that I was going to apply to were all too far away to visit - Southampton, Royal Holloway, Reading, Exeter, so I've gambled.

I don't know why but I've got a feeling I might regret not applying to Royal Holloway I think I would've enjoyed it there.
I can't believe that anyone would not consider visiting somewhere where they are seriously considering spending 3+ years of their life.

Madness I tell you .
stressed_:x
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I was dead against any London unis! simply cos i didnt want to be in a city.... fair enuff eh?
Kavokei
Report 17 years ago
My main comparison was between Liverpool and UMIST (for Aero Engineering), but after visiting UMIST on their open day, I was seriously underwhelmed - the facilities didn't seem like anything special compared to Liverpool (considering UMIST's reputation), and the admission tutor seemed to have the attitude that you were there to impress him, rather than them trying to sell the course to you.

Liverpool, on the other hand, impressed me in all areas from the moment I arrived there - and the research rating is excellent as well, for my subject area.

I recently got confirmation from both UMIST and Liverpool that they had received my application - UMIST's was a postcard saying nothing more than 'your application is now being processed', whereas Liverpool sent a full pack with lots of useful information (granted, I did have some of it already, but the effort makes a good impression).

I really got the impression that UMIST is resting on it's laurels these days...
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kavokei)
and the admission tutor seemed to have the attitude that you were there to impress him, rather than them trying to sell the course to you.

I really got the impression that UMIST is resting on it's laurels these days...
Sadly alot of Universities can do that - there are two types of Uni -

1. The one that has to sell itself to you.

2. The one that you have to sell yourself to.
foowise
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I decided to apply for economics, and as much as I realised how LSE and UCL had top-notch quality economics departments and great reputations, I decided against applying to them.

Firstly, I already live in London, and I really didn't want to live in London during my uni years, or worse, potentially end up living at home (despite how good my mum's cooking is!).

Secondly, upon an open day there, naturally I was impressed by the quality of the economics department and the clarity with which the tutor gave his speech and gave a brief overview of the course. However, I was not impressed by the fact that they had raised the admissions criteria from something like ABB to AAA. Don't get me wrong, I'm going for AAA, but the fact that there would be no margin for error to get into this place, which as I said was in London and too close to home dissuaded me. I understand the overwhelming demand for places at LSE, specifically for economics - after all it is the London School of ECONOMICS, and the school's need to distinguish the best from the very good, but in my opinion you don't need AAA to go to a quality uni. Case in point - Warwick, 24/24 for teaching, 5*/5* for research - not even the great LSE got that - and Warwick offered me AAB - meaning I do have some margin for error, which is very appealing.

I'm not having a go at LSE, it's just that having to get three As to go to uni in the city I've lived for most of my 18 years did not really appeal to me. I considered applying just to see if I would get an offer, but decided against it sensibly, as that would have just been a waste of a choice on my UCAS form.
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i didn't apply to UCL, they do favouritsm. One proffesor whom i shall not name told us during our week stay that he would take a few of us on e grades if necessary, we were also informed last year 4 ppl who attented the week summer skool got in on low grades, because they were liked by the proffessors...! and although i loved the uni i didn't apply just in case if i got in i happened to bump into a proffessor - whom people have claimed i was flirting with - no i wasn't he was at least in his mid fifities.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
(Original post by waiting2smile)
i didn't apply to UCL, they do favouritsm. One proffesor whom i shall not name told us during our week stay that he would take a few of us on e grades if necessary, we were also informed last year 4 ppl who attented the week summer skool got in on low grades, because they were liked by the proffessors...! and although i loved the uni i didn't apply just in case if i got in i happened to bump into a proffessor - whom people have claimed i was flirting with - no i wasn't he was at least in his mid fifities.
Some Unis will offer exceptional students "D,D" or something as they want to be first choice.

An example of this was a friend of mine who UMIST wanted so badly they made him the above offer despite the fact that he had already achieved this in modules (or thereabouts) before even taking his final exams.
mark1010
Report 17 years ago
I'm not applying to any uni.

By the time you lot finish uni, i plan to be a front line RAF pilot or damn close to being there. I'd rather spend the day flying low level at 600 odd miles per hour, than end up in an office!
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by mark1010)

By the time you lot finish uni, i plan to be a front line RAF pilot or damn close to being there. I'd rather spend the day flying low level at 600 odd miles per hour, than end up in an office!
I've had some offers now, but i wish i wasn't starting this sept. I would have loved a gap year! Too late now i guess.
greenwich
Report 17 years ago
dont go there. you cant even take out library books without paying money...
Bigcnee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
I quite fancied Durham, whilst it may get saddled with the "Oxbridge reject" tag it is still one of the best places in the UK to study and probably third behind the "big two".
Hahaha....no
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Hahaha....no
i agree with Bigcnee - but then Bath isnt great either
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
i agree with Bigcnee - but then Bath isnt great either
yeah it is.
Insatiable
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I went to an open day at Leicester, but it just didn't make a good impression on me. I'm afraid to say that part of the reason for that was the food. Eeew! It also didn't seem very well organised there, and just generally... lacking.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?

Blah, Blah, Blah...chances are you wont make it as only the top few get to be a fast jet pilot.

Tony Blair, Simon Cowell and Arsene Wenger all have offices - would you consider that their jobs are boring too?
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

Good for you, boyo.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Hahaha....no
Change is gradual and thus although its standards may be slipping it will be a while before this is noticed by employers and the general public.
suspicious_fish
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well, I haven't actually applied yet, but I'm not planning on applying to anywhere in London cos I've lived here my whole life and I'd like to get out and see a bit more of the country. Scotland looked tempting (Glasgow & Aberdeen are supposed to be good for philosophy) until I considered the weather.... the cold gets to my bones.
Katsumoto
Report 17 years ago
I am currently studying at Bradford Uni, having just started a four year degree. I live down south (near Brighton) and so am not used to big cities and even less used to northen ones. Ill admit that when I first visited Bradford on an open day last year I was not overly impressed with the city-in fact i didnt like it much at all. But what made it for me here are the people. Everyone that I have spoken to in the first year all say the same thing, it might be a bit run down in places but its not that bad and is getting better. Theres a large clubbing scene (70p a pint ccant be wrong!) and it is a relativly small city, with the countryside about 10 minutes away. The city and the uni are doing a lot to make it better and it is now one of the safest city centres in the country, but like any other city there are places to avoid.
If you got any other questions just email me back.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (536)
51.05%
No (514)
48.95%

Watched Threads