The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Renaissance and Modern History

So, I'm only in my first year of college at the moment, but this course at Warwick's has just got me completely - it looks fabulous, as does the university itself.

Thing is, what are the things that they don't really tell you on the site? You have to get AAB, but do they ask for special GCSE grades? I've heard all kinds of stories about them going mainly for people who got [insert large number] of A*s at GCSE or something.

And the uni itself, is it good? The accomodation, the people, at atmosphere? Who better to hear this all from than the students themselves I guess xD
kits.
So, I'm only in my first year of college at the moment, but this course at Warwick's has just got me completely - it looks fabulous, as does the university itself.

Thing is, what are the things that they don't really tell you on the site? You have to get AAB, but do they ask for special GCSE grades? I've heard all kinds of stories about them going mainly for people who got [insert large number] of A*s at GCSE or something.

And the uni itself, is it good? The accomodation, the people, at atmosphere? Who better to hear this all from than the students themselves I guess xD

generally warwick don't care quite so much about GCSE's as many other universities, your a level grades are of much more importance (i got like A*BBBBCCCCC at GCSE)

the university is very good, it's definitely a top UK university and the people here reflect that, there's a large pool of people from which you can make friends and there's always something on at the union which you can go to. the accommodation varies but it all balances out, i luvv it here.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
From what I've gathered just off observing friends applying there doesn't seem to be any specific GCSE requirement and indeed I know a guy who got rejected with very good GCSE's and AS levels indeed (10 A*s, 1 A and 4 A's at AS). A lot of it is down to the demonstrated enthusiasm you show for the subject you're applying for in your personal statement and having a solid 3 A prediction and a decent set of AS's behind you.

For history the university is ranked consistently within the top 5 and that kind of ranking is mirrored overall. It's a top class institution with amazing domestic pretiege and growing international prestiege.
I really did not crown myself with glory at GCSE (only got one A* and about 4 As, the rest were Bs) and Warwick still accepted me for French and History when another places (York and Nottingham) either outright rejected me or offered me places on crappier courses. I honestly do think Warwick put A LOT of emphasis on the personal statement.

The history department is fantastic; the sheer breadth of choice for modules is pretty epic. And I can tell you that the head of Renaisance studies is a legend (I have him for medieval world atm).

The accomodation is alright, no halls at any uni are going to be palaces, but the ones at Warwick are nice enough.

As for the people, I'm sure you'll find your own niche, it's a fairly diverse student body.

Latest