This discussion is closed.
kaj
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
you say that until you get an NI card you cant get a job well i have been looking all day on the net and it seems your write but how come most of my friends have jobs and they are 14,15 with no card they work in pubs, flower shop,hair dressers so why cant i find one?
JOSEPHROBERT
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
if you want a job mate why dont you ask a mate to get you in there work.or go round to shops and ask for application forms.thats what i did?
FudgeMonkey
Report 17 years ago
yeah when your 14/15 there are only certain things you are allowed to do...its unfiar. I am stll 15, but i got my NI card the other day...does that give me any extra rights, or do i still have to wait?
.NK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I think it's decided by how much you have the potential to earn.

I used to work every other Saturday in four hour shifts when I was 15. I didn't have an NI card and my employer didnt want my NI number when I finally got it.

Employers need your NI number so that national insurance can be deducted from your wages. This will only happen if you're earning over a certain threshold a week, which I think is higher than what you can earn from working the legal hours allowed for under 16's. I've only had to pay national insurance once, and that's when I earned over £300 a month during Christmas.

So I think you can work if you don't have an NI card because you're under 16, but few employers want under 16's working for them.
crazykelly03
Report 17 years ago
i know im 14 nearly 15 and i really really want a job but cant get one!!! any suggestions?? ive asked around but cant find anything
Tina
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by crazykelly03)
i know im 14 nearly 15 and i really really want a job but cant get one!!! any suggestions?? ive asked around but cant find anything
good luck in finding a job...u shuld try asking round again is teh best advice i can give...but be careful u dont get ripped off.....child labour type thing!
What's Chico Time Precious?
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
it kind of depends on who you work for, a big chain company has procedures and will obide by the law so probably wont employ underage people, whereas in my experience small self-owned shops etc... may not mind
Tina
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Absolution)
it kind of depends on who you work for, a big chain company has procedures and will obide by the law so probably wont employ underage people, whereas in my experience small self-owned shops etc... may not mind
yeh tahts what i was referring to the small self owned shops...they usually take on younger employees because its cheaper
What's Chico Time Precious?
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
yeh tahts what i was referring to the small self owned shops...they usually take on younger employees because its cheaper
yes, a friend of mind was i think 14/15 and was paid £2.50 an hour, which wasn't particularly nice, and then when he turned 16 and elidgeable for more pay, they got rid of him (fired and not drowned in a river)
starry
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I clean cars
howdyall
Report 17 years ago
i am 15 and am sick of not getting a job. i did paper delivery for a few months but gave up after discovering that first i did 264 homes and only got £3 for it (delivering and putting them together) but they docked my pay, once because i couldn't deliver to a house because it had NO MAILBOX and they didn't answer the door and another time because the same house had left there gaurd dog out and it went for me if i tried to get through the gate so instead of not delivering i tied it up with a rubber band and threw it at the door at which the house owner complained so instead of £3 i got 67p!!!
howdyall
Report 17 years ago
i have a baby sitting job now but they rarely go out is this the only job a sensible teen can get!!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (536)
51.1%
No (513)
48.9%

Watched Threads