The Student Room Group

Staying in school uniform at home

My mother has just had a right go at me and has told me that she thinks I'm 'strange' and not like other girls my age.

When I get home from 6th form during the week I never bother getting changed from my uniform (shirt, tie, blazer, skirt) - I never even bother taking my tie off or undoing the top button because I'm quite comfy and usually it doesnt even occur to me to do so. Even if I go to the supermarket with her or something I just go as I am - at 11 o'clock at night watching TV - I'm still in uniform.

Mum thinks this is really weird and keeps saying "Why don't you get changed" I think it embarasses her walking round with her 17yr old daughter in uniform.

Am I weird? What does everyone else do? :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I strip my suit off, as soon as I get home usually.
Reply 2
I didn't usually bother to get changed. Took the blazer off, obvoiusly, but didn't really see the point of changing.
Reply 3
I used to sit in mine too unless i was going out, but then my uniform was a jumper, polo shirt, black trousers and trainers.
i usually take off my blazer and stick on a massive hoodiee over my uniform.....but if im home like at lunch or something then i usually strip it all off and stcik on a massive hoodie :biggrin:
I'm 17 but I'm at a sixth form that doesn't have a uniform. But otherwise, I'd probably be wearing it all evening just cos it wouldn't occur to me to change when I'm just in the house (unless I was uncomfortable of course).

Although maybe if I was going out, I think I'd have to get changed.

Go home and put your pyjarmas on, see if she likes that any better :smile: haha.

But in all seriousness, you're 17, you're perfectly entitled to wear what you like, even if it is a school uniform.

Btw is it some strict sixth form to have you wearing a uniform still. Or is it more like a suit? (just curious cos I think it's rather mean!)
Reply 6
At least take the tie off?! Surely you'll be more comfortable without it?
Reply 7
i didnt bother.. and i didnt think anyone else did..?:s-smilie:
I used to sit around in mine quite alot of the time, just because getting changed didn't seem important.
I don't understand the big deal really?
Reply 9
It's down to personal preference really, she should be grateful you're not wearin a new outfit everyday, this way she has less laundry. I never really used to be bothered changing out of my uniform, unless I was maybe going round a mates house or something. But then again my high school only made us wear uniform until yr11 and I'd usually have a bath in the early evening and spend the night mooching in my jammies. :biggrin: so no, you're not weird, whatever floats ya boat init.
Reply 10
I never used to change when I went to school.
Reply 11
We don't have a uniform - however I don't even like sitting around in my jeans. So as soon as I get home I'm out of whatever I'm wearing and into pyjamas.
Reply 12
I usually just swap my school trousers for jeans or something, though i also am too lazy to remove my tie lol.
I always take my uniform off as I'm off doing stuff most nights... and when I won't be going out I get into my pjs and dressing gown for comfort.

My friend always keeps hers on, though. (But she does take off her blazer and unbutton her shirt)
I never get changed and my mum goes on at me about it as well. Don't worry it's fine.
Reply 15
I always used to change. School uniforms look well stupid on anyone 15+, and i really hated people seeing me in uniform when i didn't have to be. Thank god by the time i got into Year 11, the uniform rules were never enforced, and i didn't really have to wear tie/blazer. Tbh, when i see sixth formers walking around in a uniform, i wonder why they not embarassed to look like that in public. :p:
Reply 16
lol at having to wear uniform ^^
but yeah i never used to get changed in secondary school, whats the point?
Reply 17
My uniform sounds pretty similar to yours, and I never changed, I always stayed in my uniform - although I might have taken off my tie and undone a top button.
Reply 18
My mum does the same - don't know why it annoys her so much! :confused: I always take my tie off, though, it's uncomfortable.
Reply 19
The Stig
We don't have a uniform - however I don't even like sitting around in my jeans. So as soon as I get home I'm out of whatever I'm wearing and into pyjamas.

That's exactly what i do. I wear jeans all day, then basically as soon as i walk into the door, i get changed into my PJ's. :o:

Latest