The Student Room Group

Decline or not?

If i were to decline my offer to read philosophy at Cambridge (for unpreventable reasons), how likely do you think it is that they will accept me again for entry in 2010? Do you think i am better off applying to Oxford? I was thinking that they may favour those who achieve A*'s in preference to me! Do you recommend i do AEA'S just to be on the safe side?:eyeball:
Reply 1
could u not ask them if they'd defer it? or is that not allowed?
Depending on the reasons they might let you defer your current offer until 2010.
Reply 3
Without knowing too much about your circumstances it may be worth talking to them. if you have genuine and good reasons I am sure they will try to be as helpful as possible.
Reply 4
You should be able to defer it dude.
Reply 5
Niajaboi
If i were to decline my offer to read philosophy at Cambridge (for unpreventable reasons), how likely do you think it is that they will accept me again for entry in 2010? Do you think i am better off applying to Oxford? I was thinking that they may favour those who achieve A*'s in preference to me! Do you recommend i do AEA'S just to be on the safe side?:eyeball:

No-one will have A*s by the stage of applications for 2010 as they can only be achieved after completing the second year of A2, and so applications next year will be by students still in their A2 year.

Furthermore, Oxbridge have implied that they will not make use of the new A*s until they know how well they work.
X123
No-one will have A*s by the stage of applications for 2010 as they can only be achieved after completing the second year of A2, and so applications next year will be by students still in their A2 year.

Furthermore, Oxbridge have implied that they will not make use of the new A*s until they know how well they work.

Your second point is true, but you are wrong about when the first A* grades. They have already been awarded to students at schools and colleges that took part in trials of the new system.
Reply 7
Good bloke
Your second point is true, but you are wrong about when the first A* grades. They have already been awarded to students at schools and colleges that took part in trials of the new system.

I was not aware of that, and maybe that is true - but what proportion of the potential 2010 Oxbridge applicants does this actually then account for?!
Reply 8
X123
I was not aware of that, and maybe that is true - but what proportion of the potential 2010 Oxbridge applicants does this actually then account for?!

Surely while the 2010 applicants won't have A*s, they will be predicted them? The year below is following that system right?
Reply 9
Anyway, It doesn't matter. OP ask them if you can defer your offer. Also, if you had to reapply, you wouldn't be disadvantaged because you don't have A*. Cambridge will know that you did the normal 'old' A levels from the date you sat your exams. They see te UMS also right, so....
Reply 10
River Hippo
Surely while the 2010 applicants won't have A*s, they will be predicted them? The year below is following that system right?

Yes - but given that the universities will be aware that you would not have had the opportunity to achieve an A*, and that most schools have will have not used the new A* system their predictions would not necessarily be reliable.
Reply 11
Niajaboi

You should be able to defer but I would think it would be best to contact them soon (assuming you're sure). I guess they prefer if they know while the pool is open so they can give someone your place.
Reply 12
You should contact them right now, so that if they let you defer to 2010, someone of the pool can still get your place for this year...

Edit: ^ sorry just saw it now :smile:
Reply 13
Yeah i would say defer, also bearing in mind that they have now scrapped AEAs so you wouldnt be able to use them to boost your application if you reapplied!
Reply 14
im so academic
you got the offer, so what are you complaining about. work hard, get the grades, get into cambridge - don't pressurise yourself about "can I apply again?" stuff.

Did you even read his post?
Reply 15
Cantab
Did you even read his post?

That was a rhetorical question, right?:smile:
im so academic
Yes I did. :smartass:

OP, it's up to you to decline or not. Though you should remember that getting a Cambridge offer is really special, so I'd advise you not to decline so early.

The OP has unpreventable reasons for declining :eyeball:
im so academic
Yes I did. :smartass:

OP, it's up to you to decline or not. Though you should remember that getting a Cambridge offer is really special, so I'd advise you not to decline so early.

Isn't it time you stopped advising people about things of which you haven't any knowledge, experience or insight? I think people are getting very tired of it.

OP, go for the deferral as a first port of call, but do it as soon as possible so as to be as helpful to the tutors as possible - that might help you.
The West Wing
The OP has unpreventable reasons for declining :eyeball:

If you read his posts in other forums, you will realise that his "unpreventable" reasons are that he thinks that a Philosophy degree might not be enough to get him into Investment Banking. :rolleyes:

So he wants to take a gap year and then reapply for Law.:shifty:

Latest

Trending

Trending