Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what do people think about gettign rid of the royal family and having a presidant?
    persoanlly i say keep the royal family but just wondering

ReputationRep:
    What happened to your other thread "Tony of the mike"?

I was typing a reply and then when i submitted it didn't work, only to find that your thread had mysteriously disappeared into thin air.

ReputationRep:
    not sure myself it just went but will re post it on now

ReputationRep:
    Hope i still have my reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    What happened to your other thread "Tony of the mike"?

I was typing a reply and then when i submitted it didn't work, only to find that your thread had mysteriously disappeared into thin air.
    i deleted it because that topic is already being discussed in 'lets all laugh at the tories' thread

ReputationRep:
    Well we trust the PM and government to deal with the important stuff so why not the PM as head of state. He's quite well know and popular in the US - attract all those tourists!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    Well we trust the PM and government to deal with the important stuff so why not the PM as head of state. He's quite well know and popular in the US - attract all those tourists!
    yes pk we should depose the monarchy to attract US tourists :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    Noooooooo.

ReputationRep:
    coz , at the end of the day the queen has the final say in almost everything, so therefore it is good to have someone not interesting in populariy and winning teh vote but to make the right choices when it comes to teh crunch

ReputationRep:
    The Queen does nothing, she has no power and that's why the monarchy have survived for so long; because they have evolved to listening to the public and letting the "democratically elected" politicians make the real decisions.

ReputationRep:
    she is head of state, she has power, blair had to go 2 her to let him take our the arm for the war in iraq if she said no , that is it he cant send them out coz they go on her orders

ReputationRep:
    But she wouldn't say no. She had to say yes.

ReputationRep:
    she thought it was the best to do , to help the people of iraq although i dont agree with teh war entirly

ReputationRep:
    That's a different subject all together, about what you thought of the war. But the Queen has to support the Prime Minister, she has never rejected any piece of legislation that has been presented to her. It would be an out-rage if the Queen rejected a proposal from the PM because he is elected unlike the Queen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    Thats one of the pro-royal reasons to keep the queen - tourism.

I know its a stupid reason!

ReputationRep:
    The Queen may put her little seal on things but in reality she has no power. So why not bypass all this clutter, get rid of the royal beurocracy, and get a proper, accountable system in place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eámanë)
    coz , at the end of the day the queen has the final say in almost everything, so therefore it is good to have someone not interesting in populariy and winning teh vote but to make the right choices when it comes to teh crunch
    You have greatly over estimated the role of The Queen.

ReputationRep:
    well im most def NOT a royalist......but i think president blair is NOT NOT NOT a good idea. besides the queen brings in the tourists! i went to london centre recently and the amount of americans who came to see all the cultural heritage and loved the queen was amazing! at least shes good for something!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if we didn't put it in terms of President Blair, it would become more sellable.

Ireland is a perfect example with fomerly Mary Robinson (and now Mary McAleese) as president. Mary Robinson was/is internationally respected and works incredibly hard for her position.

and she was DEMOCRATICALLY elected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Maybe if we didn't put it in terms of President Blair, it would become more sellable.

Ireland is a perfect example with fomerly Mary Robinson (and now Mary McAleese) as president. Mary Robinson was/is internationally respected and works incredibly hard for her position.

and she was DEMOCRATICALLY elected.
    yes i do think the idea of president is interesting tho....and it is mainly blair that puts me off

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2003
Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.