Turn on thread page Beta

Whats the point then if grades don't represent intelligence? watch

People keep saying grades don't represent intelligence and that if you have 4 A's or whatever it doesn't mean anything about how clever you are. And that universities still won't accept you and stuff with 4 A's. Is this because the people that are saying it are jealous of people that get good grades? That's what I think.

Grades are the most important thing and they do represent how clever a person is. Do you think universities care if you have a social life? I don't. I think people who say "Oh but I have a life thats why I didn't get all A's" are stupid. Universities won't care about you having a social life they will just think you are a waster and care more about having fun than working.

And if grades aren't important then what is the point then? Answer me that? Why am I bothering to do A-Levels if they are useless and getting all A's doesn't mean anything? So i'm just wasting my time am I? Maybe I should just drop out then and look for a job if they are useless?

I hate it that people are undermining my efforts by saying my hard work at A-Levels is pointless and all A's doesn't mean anything. Yes I don't have a social life and am a loner and only concentrate on my grades and play computer games and stuff to relax, but universities won't care about this they only care about my grades. So shut up all the ones that say A's don't mean anything, you are just jealous thats all.

ReputationRep:
    let me guess yoy have 4 a's and no social life or job???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nicci_babe)
    let me guess yoy have 4 a's and no social life or job??? and grades dont represent inteligence they represent that you can remember and regurgitate fact read or taught to you.

ReputationRep:
    There have already been countless posts to this effect; the new A'levels test memory and ability to structure essays (at least in arts.) Further to that, the marking of the exams has been such a fiasco that you cannot compare the results of one school to another. Unfortunately A'levels at present fail to adequately test intelligence. Hence, an aquaintance of mine with 6 A grades was rejected from Cambridge.

Oxbridge and many other unis are now setting their own entrance exams because grades are often failing to represent students ability to cope with a uni course - this should be evidence enough that there is a problem.

let me guess yoy have 4 a's and no social life or job???

I am predicted 4 A's and people that say its crap and pointless are just jealous. So shut up. No I haven't got a job or social life really (I have one friend who I sometimes have lunch with at college but don't go out or anything, and when i'm alone and my friend isn't around I go to the library and read by myself). I still get pocket money so don't need a job and I am really clever, so I don't care if people say my grades are pointless I'll do much better than everyone in life because of my hard work. Everyone undermines mine and people like me on this forum because they are jealous, thats what it boils down to at the end of the day. I know i'm right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    I am predicted 4 A's and people that say its crap and pointless are just jealous. So shut up. No I haven't got a job or social life really (I have one friend who I sometimes have lunch with at college but don't go out or anything, and when i'm alone and my friend isn't around I go to the library and read by myself). I still get pocket money so don't need a job and I am really clever, so I don't care if people say my grades are pointless I'll do much better than everyone in life because of my hard work. Everyone undermines mine and people like me on this forum because they are jealous, thats what it boils down to at the end of the day. I know i'm right.
    How sad.

(Original post by Haz)
    How sad.

Why because i'm hard working and have a good work ethic? This is what universities admire not going out and getting pissed and shagging and taking drugs and stuff. I think people like this should be completely banned from entering they are riff raff filth that don't care about anyone but themselves. If I see anyone at university behaving like this I will be reporting them unconditionally!

ReputationRep:
    Why because i'm hard working and have a good work ethic? This is what universities admire not going out and getting pissed and shagging and taking drugs and stuff. I think people like this should be completely banned from entering they are riff raff filth that don't care about anyone but themselves. If I see anyone at university behaving like this I will be reporting them unconditionally!
    you sad little bugger Universities want people eho have a life outside of the academic, and to be honest drinks and shagging is what everone will do at uni will you report them all
    Wait a minute is this Maskall ???

ReputationRep:
    WRONG!!

FYI my dad had no GCSE's or Alevels and now is a director of O" so argue that. grades do count as i wouldnt be doing A levels yet the do not measure intelligence and im glad ur mummy and daddy support you by giving you pocket money because you sound like ypou need it.
    go get a life.

ReputationRep:

Ah, so you are a narc. Explains why you have no friends.

i know what u mean when u say u'll do better in life. and u deserve it because u have worked for it. then there are people who go out every night and get pissed and they say to you "grades dont mean n e thing" this is only because they dont have the grades and are jealous. i am completely on ur side on this one.

(Original post by Haz)
    There have already been countless posts to this effect; the new A'levels test memory and ability to structure essays (at least in arts.) Further to that, the marking of the exams has been such a fiasco that you cannot compare the results of one school to another. Unfortunately A'levels at present fail to adequately test intelligence. Hence, an aquaintance of mine with 6 A grades was rejected from Cambridge.

Oxbridge and many other unis are now setting their own entrance exams because grades are often failing to represent students ability to cope with a uni course - this should be evidence enough that there is a problem.

Oxbrdge look for ways to test social class, not intelligence, hence the compulsory interviews and entrance tests you are mentioning. If you really believe that Oxbridge use these tests to find the most intelligent then you must be stupidly gullible. They use them to weed out the working class reagrdless of intelligence. The interviews are used to judge class!

You must be extremely gullible if yuo think otherwise!

ReputationRep:
    i find that the people that do the best (even if they arent natural geniuses) are the ones that work hard AND play hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    i find that the people that do the best (even if they arent natural geniuses) are the ones that work hard AND play hard.
    Agreed, what is the point of being successful if you can't enjoy life at the same time.

work hard..make lots of money..then enjoy ur self.

ReputationRep:
    i know what u mean when u say u'll do better in life. and u deserve it because u have worked for it. then there are people who go out every night and get pissed and they say to you "grades dont mean n e thing" this is only because they dont have the grades and are jealous. i am completely on ur side on this one.
    i am not jealous i have a job i go out most night and am partial to alcoholic beverages however i got 10 A/B grades and am predicted 3 A's and 1B so what is your point again.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. life, get one? Universities DO appreciate people who don't spend all their time studying. Plus if you are studying constantly for A level it probably doesn't show that you are going to be able to cope that well once you get the work load that a degree will place on you!!

i am not jealous i have a job i go out most night and am partial to alcoholic beverages however i got 10 A/B grades and am predicted 3 A's and 1B so what is your point again.
    10 a/b grades? haha..thats pathetic. i did well better than u and thats because i didnt go out. so who will get a better job? who will make more money? who will enjoy l8r life more? me or u? i think ME.

and by sayign 10 A/B i bet u mean 1A/9B idiot. u r not even close to me intellectually.

ReputationRep:
    i think its pretty pathetic that some people in here dedicate their lives to getting grades, and have no life. why cant u have both? there is such things as being clever (yes, grades do prove that you have natural intelligence COMBINED with a good work ethic) aswell as having a social life, but at a reasonable level. uni's want people who will contribute to uni society, aswell as having the intelligence to do well.
    Example, RAHAYDENUK is a complete geek with no life, he got 6 GRADE A'S AT A-LEVEL, yet cambridge told him to go away.
    edders: he didnt apply to cambridge, he wanted to go to IC and thats where he is now

ReputationRep:
    10 a/b grades? haha..thats pathetic. i did well better than u and thats because i didnt go out. so who will get a better job? who will make more money? who will enjoy l8r life more? me or u? i think ME.

and by sayign 10 A/B i bet u mean 1A/9B idiot. u r not even close to me intellectually.
    actually it was 1 a* 7 a's and 2 B'sand i think it will be me!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.