This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
An American company once shortened the name 'doughnuts' to 'donuts'. Americans (at the time) hated the British, so this replacement caught on to become the proper name in America. Since the computer age, these American spelling have caught on worldwide and has spread to England and Australia, so that now, everyone is starting to use this Americanism.

My question is, should we respect and preserve the doughnut spelling or switch to the American style donut?
Infinity
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
An American company once shortened the name 'doughnuts' to 'donuts'. Americans (at the time) hated the British, so this replacement caught on to become the proper name in America. Since the computer age, these American spelling have caught on worldwide and has spread to England and Australia, so that now, everyone is starting to use this Americanism.

My question is, should we respect and preserve the doughnut spelling or switch to the American style donut?
I believe the proper spelling here is doughnut. That's how I've always used it.
ladyblitzer
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
the Doughnut spelling!! it's classier. heehee
Elle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ladyblitzer)
the Doughnut spelling!! it's classier. heehee
Doughnut..
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
D'oh! Nuts!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Infinity)
I believe the proper spelling here is doughnut. That's how I've always used it.
The proper spelling in America is donut. American dictionaries stopped listing doughnut as a word in about 1900.

Other words include:

UK - US

plough - plow
through - thru
draught - draft

http://www.scit.wlv.ac.uk/~jphb/american.html
Camford
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Doughnuts.... WARNING: CONTAIN NUTS!!!
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The proper spelling in America is donut. American dictionaries stopped listing doughnut as a word in about 1900.

Other words include:

UK - US

plough - plow
through - thru
draught - draft

Guess it depends on the area. I have always used that spelling ,for doughnuts and through anyway.
I have to disagree w/ the american spelling of some others words on that site also. Boro???? No we say borough.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Guess it depends on the area. I have always used that spelling ,for doughnuts and through anyway.
Out of interest, would you write favourite or favorite? mum or mom? realise or realize?
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Out of interest, would you write favourite or favorite? mum or mom? realise or realize?
I am not arguing that it is all incorrect, just some of it.
I would use favorite, Mom, and realise, only because that is how I was taught.
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Depends on the area isn't it. If you in america you would use z instead of s. and u instead of ough just speed things up a little. The Americans tend to live a fast life and that's why they have all those crap things called McDonald and Burger King and KFC.

Piece of interesting Info. During the this year's Space Olympiad in Russia, there was a geometic problem on one of the papers. None of the teams from the US can solve it and made a complaint and said that problem was unsolvable and it took me 5 minutes. So I say, don't do anything stupid unless you are trying to be American.
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I don't care if the Americans decide to take a couple of our words, chop it up or re-write it. As long as they recognise that they got their language from us and whenever a question arises about how things are spelt, we are always right.
kikzen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
lol Camford

in any case, we cannot back down to these changes to the language. this is english. not american.

doughnut, favourite, through, plough etc etc

jediknight reminded me of a time an american woman was being interviewed; she was asked what she thought of the english accent.

'ah i love it, it gives OUR language such a posh sound'
ignorant cow.
DanMushMan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

Other words include:

UK - US

plough - plow
through - thru
draught - draft

is 'thru' actually used??
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
Depends on the area isn't it. If you in america you would use z instead of s. and u instead of ough just speed things up a little. The Americans tend to live a fast life and that's why they have all those crap things called McDonald and Burger King and KFC.

Piece of interesting Info. During the this year's Space Olympiad in Russia, there was a geometic problem on one of the papers. None of the teams from the US can solve it and made a complaint and said that problem was unsolvable and it took me 5 minutes. So I say, don't do anything stupid unless you are trying to be American.
No we do not use z instead of s or a u instead of ought in proper terms.
As far as your being intelectually advanced, hmmph reread your post is that what you call gramatically correct????
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by DanMushMan)
is 'thru' actually used??
No, it's through.
And also....
Guage not gage
grey not gray
night not nite
moustache not mustache
sulphur not sulfur
vice not vise
(As according to the site link earlier)
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
sulfer and sulpher are both correct. Basically because some people can never pronounce ph correctly.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
No, it's through.
And also....
Guage not gage
grey not gray
night not nite
moustache not mustache
sulphur not sulfur
vice not vise
and aluminum?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
No, it's through.
And also....
Guage not gage
grey not gray
night not nite
moustache not mustache
sulphur not sulfur
vice not vise
I find you so interesting. I just want to take you away and analyse your spellings all day!

You're an American yet you use British spellings. I didn't think any American did that.
DanMushMan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
sulfer and sulpher are both correct. Basically because some people can never pronounce ph correctly.
you could even say sulphur or sulfur.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (503)
51.17%
No (480)
48.83%

Watched Threads