Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    Just stop, I am so tired of ppl claiming to be decendants of the great cheifs! Let me guess your great great great grandmother was a cherokee princess. :rolleyes:
    Um, I'm 1/16 Native American. Sitting Bull was the chief of the tribe, I never said I was his descendent, although it is possible. It's the Sioux tribe if you must know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    oh shut up and get over it i already said i may be wrong, and u are a european country, which rarely has much to do with anything, but u r still european
    but "europe has a constitution" doesn't mean that we (brits) do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    but "europe has a constitution" doesn't mean that we (brits) do.
    fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    http://www.time.com/time/time100/sci...arnsworth.html

Nice British invention! *cough*

By the way, we still invented the Internet
    Yes the TV was a nice British invention
    http://inventors.about.com/library/i...rs/blbaird.htm
    *cough*
    I think you will find that Baird events happened before Farnsworth's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azzon)
    *cough*
    then again, you could argue it was Paul Nipkow (a polak!!!) who did it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    When you say Indians, when referring to a land filled with many, many tribes, it would seem ignorant to suggest this is all Indians. You call me stereo-typing, yet you are accumulating all Native Americans as one when using the term "Indian".

Not all tribes were fighting, and yes, there were many blood-thirsty tribes, which even killed many of the first settlers. And we did win the fight against them, and there are still those peaceful tribes which obviously do not count in the war, so it would be ignorant of you to suggest they do.

You are part Native American, you say, so I can understand your ignorance, but I already told you I am part Native American. Seriously, use your common sense.
    No you used the term Indians, I said the native ppls, and it's not my fault if you take everything from the history books as fact. Almost all the info is false. Yes there are many tribes, but all followed the same rules of the land. If you were at all familiar w/ the sacred teachings you would understand this. We did in fact live in peace on this land for many years as that is how it was supposed to be. However the problems arrised when the first settlers came ashore. This is when the fighting began, this is when we were no longer brothers and sisters living in harmony. Certain tribes were labled as horse theives, others as rapists you get the picture, this is what caused unrest and war among all the peoples. It was not always this way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    Um, I'm 1/16 Native American. Sitting Bull was the chief of the tribe, I never said I was his descendent, although it is possible. It's the Sioux tribe if you must know
    I misinterpreted your comment, sorry.
    For some reason I beleive you. At the same time I feel you are sadly misinformed about our ppl. I say our ppl because there was a time when the tribes were one, which is how it should be.
    Oh, god I sound like my uncle!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    then again, you could argue it was Paul Nipkow (a polak!!!) who did it
    Well you could say that but i personally dont see much similarities between Nipkow's Spinning Disc and a TV. Also Nipkow is German

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azzon)
    Well you could say that but i personally dont see much similarities between Nipkow's Spinning Disc and a TV. Also Nipkow is German
    hmm, and how far into poland did germany extend in the 19th century? nipkow is a very german name, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    hmm, and how far into poland did germany extend in the 19th century? nipkow is a very german name, isn't it?
    Just going on what the facts state!! Can't do more then that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azzon)
    Just going on what the facts state!! Can't do more then that.
    its alright

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    I misinterpreted your comment, sorry.
    For some reason I beleive you. At the same time I feel you are sadly misinformed about our ppl. I say our ppl because there was a time when the tribes were one, which is how it should be.
    Oh, god I sound like my uncle!
    I don't see how. I'm part Sioux Indian. Sitting Bull was the chief...you even responded. You didn't misinterpret me you just doubted me :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azzon)
    *cough*
    lol ya they say he invented the T.V. but the past few years they discovered it was actually Farnsworth who did. Which is why he is now the declared inventor of it, getting the idea from swaying corn fields. You decide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    I don't see how. I'm part Sioux Indian. Sitting Bull was the chief...you even responded. You didn't misinterpret me you just doubted me :P
    No I misinterpreted, I actually thought you were saying you were a direct decendant, which led me to doubt you. Ahh, nevermind.

ReputationRep:
    I created this thread ages ago. I can't believe it's back on the top page. :rolleyes:

This might be of interest - I have searched UK and US spellings on Google and have matched the amount of sites it picked up.

US V UK

Favorite V Favourite
    US: 23,100,000
    UK: 4,920,000

Realize V Realise
    US: 6,680,000
    UK: 1,600,000

Donut V Doughnut
    US: 424,000
    UK: 186,000

Gray V Grey
    US: 9,760,000
    UK: 6,480,000

Center V Centre
    US: 106,000,000
    UK: 36,600,000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_guy)
    I created this thread ages ago. I can't believe it's back on the top page. :rolleyes:

This might be of interest - I have searched UK and US spellings on Google and have matched the amount of sites it picked up.

US V UK

Favorite V Favourite

Realize V Realise

Donut V Doughnut

Gray V Grey

Center V Centre
    that's because there's more US sites than UK sites.
    you'll be happy to know that whenenglish is taught abroad, they learn british english.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    you'll be happy to know that whenenglish is taught abroad, they learn british english.
    That is not true! You just assumed this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_guy)

US V UK

Favorite V Favourite

Realize V Realise

Donut V Doughnut

Gray V Grey

Center V Centre
    Except this is not completely accurate....
    Favorite V Favourite --- Both are used

Realize V Realise ----- Realize is incorrect

Donut V Doughnut ------ Donut is incorrect

Gray V Grey ------ both are used, grey is the proper form

Center V Centre ------ both are used, though center is more common.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    Actuaklly depends on teh nationality of the teachers. Most are american therefore they teach american english. However standard is queens english (international english)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Actuaklly depends on teh nationality of the teachers. Most are american therefore they teach american english. However standard is queens english (international english)
    im talking in schools, like here we learn french or german etc, abroad when children learn english it is british. the teachers are the native nationality. i wasn't talking about special english language courses.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2003
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.