The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I'm skeptical about vocational qualifications in general.

Young people are to be given 4 GCSEs for learning a skill in the workplace? I find it less than ideal that they gain more qualifications for 'working' than for passing tests in things like maths, english, history and science.

If we give people aged 14-19 qualifications for working then why don't we give everyone a qualification for each job they do? We don't, your experiences are recorded on your CV. Why does it need to be any different for young people?

It won't change the negative opinion that people have of vocational courses anyway.
I'm pleased with it as well because I think GCSEs and A-levels are good qualifications, and all that needs to be done to improve them is to introduce an A* grade at A-level to reduce the numbers getting A grades and stop people from re-sitting more than once. I'm also pleased that more vocational education is being proposed and that people are being encouraged to stay on until 18. My only concern is that plans to turn comprehensives into training centres and apprenticeship providers will make things the same as they were under the old tripartite system; ie, if you fail the 11+ or don't take it, you'll be doomed to practical courses no matter how academic you are.
Reply 3
kellywood_5
I'm pleased with it as well because I think GCSEs and A-levels are good qualifications, and all that needs to be done to improve them is to introduce an A* grade at A-level to reduce the numbers getting A grades and stop people from re-sitting more than once. I'm also pleased that more vocational education is being proposed and that people are being encouraged to stay on until 18. My only concern is that plans to turn comprehensives into training centres and apprenticeship providers will make things the same as they were under the old tripartite system; ie, if you fail the 11+ or don't take it, you'll be doomed to practical courses no matter how academic you are.

It's much easier to separate out the top top from the bottom top with harder questions than higher grade boundries. A'Level isn't hard for those at the top. Typically in maths, if they had bothered to be more careful, most of those in the top would have got over 95%. But they don't.
Reply 4
kellywood_5
I'm pleased with it as well because I think GCSEs and A-levels are good qualifications, and all that needs to be done to improve them is to introduce an A* grade at A-level to reduce the numbers getting A grades and stop people from re-sitting more than once...

The bit that interested me in the BBC report on this was

"To differentiate between the brightest A-level students aiming for university, admissions tutors would get to see their actual exam results as well as grades, with immediate effect."

So do ATs just get to see the AS marks and take these into account in making offers, or will they start making offers based on the total UMS score at A2?
Reply 5
I think having a diploma bridging academic and vocational is a good thing. Most countries have curriculums with 'diplomas' now, however the other countries don't have a vocational stuff in it though. GCSEs and A-levels are to stay, but I think having them within the diploma would be better though. That is just my opinion.

Latest