Wata
what is the transformation of

y=x^2 on to y=x^2+8x+11??

If you compete the square on it:

(x+4)^2 - 5 therefor its moved to the left by 4
Reply 21
Unregistered
D1 is easy but i bet youll fail

Haha. better to fail than be on the dole, like you!
Reply 22
Bhaal85
If you compete the square on it:

(x+4)^2 - 5 therefor its moved to the left by 4

I.e the vertex (the trough) will be at (-4,-5) and will cross the Y axis at 11
Reply 23
Discrete 1 OCR board, was too easy. I am aiming for 100 percent, and I think I may have done just that. :smile:
nice1..

were there not many people who did maths??? this thread is quite.
Bhaal85
Discrete 1 OCR board, was too easy. I am aiming for 100 percent, and I think I may have done just that. :smile:

Hope that is what your UMS will be after converting from raw score. Unfortunately, if everyone else get top marks they adjust the boundaries. Example - last year's P3 was dreadful, everyone on maths forums in the country complaining how difficult it was, so marks were adjusted and people who got 58/90 got an A! OCR advancing physics was, for most, very simple and many thought they would get top marks - marks were alsoadjusted and many of those got B's!
It seems that because exam boards are so scared of media crying "A levels are getting easier" they have gone back to norm referencing rather than criterion referencing i.e. it's not how much you know but how much everybody else knows too.
Reply 26
well done bhaal.
I've just done P2 for the first time and I resat P1. P2 was ok and I think I should get an A but Qu's 6 and 7 on P1 were hard. On question 6 I got a value for r for which A was a minimum but when I got the 2nd derirative I got it as been a maximum :frown:

On question 7 I couldn't get my radius to equal theirs at all :frown:
Can someone plz post up answers to todays P2 Papers???
hope you all did OK, I don't really understand why you are doing retakes in November though, why not in Jan like other subjects? When do you get results??!!!
Reply 30
Well, well, well, I have just done P1 and M1 resit with Edexcel

As most of you probably know, I have been soooo ill recently, so I really wasn't in the position to do these exams (missed some valuable revision time + felt yucky throughout the exams).

Anyway, all in all I thought both exams were quite reasonable. The new format confused me a bit but I got used to it.

For M1 - I thought i was doing very well until the last 5mins where I realised I MISSED OUT HALF A QUESTION!!! i.e. a whole meaty 7mark question. Previously my problem had been that I didn't finish it in time, so in the resit this time I tried to do it extra quick which meant I went to the next question without fully doing one of them. What makes it worse is it was an easy speed time graph question!!!

For P1 - This was in the afternoon and I was feeling more tired and fed up. But it went better than the M1 in the morning - pretty standard stuff, although I doubt I'll do much better than 80 which I got last time. I was very impressed with myself for having learnt all my proofs - but just my luck, no proof question came up!!

In the light of all the above, I am very doubtful as to whether I'll get that extra 14 marks to pull my grade up to an A. I remember I thought I'd done amazingly last time and still came out with a B which I was disappointed with. So I'm not really hoping for much this time. Perhaps I'll do ok in A2's when I might be feeling a bit better and will have done more preparation (especially if I get a high offer I need to meet). Or perhaps I'm just not a mathsy person? I don't know! Whatever happens, I'm happy!!! :smile:

P.S Thank you king of swords for helping me revise - it's a pity inequalities didn't come up though!!! lol.
Reply 31
Unregistered

On question 7 I couldn't get my radius to equal theirs at all :frown:

Were you with edexcel? I think that was the only major problem I had with the p1!!

As for when results come out, I don't know? Will someone please find out for me, I don't really want them to be popped out at me when I'm not prepared to receive them.
Reply 32
Adhsur
As for when results come out, I don't know? Will someone please find out for me, I don't really want them to be popped out at me when I'm not prepared to receive them.

I have no idea when they come out either! Our college diaries normally tell us every date possible... but they miss out maths results... it'll be before christmas shouldn't it?

I jus did S1 with OCR, i thought it was ok, there was one question i couldn't do. i had 2 sets of results and I had to work out where the regression lines of y on x and x on y meet on a graph. i had no idea... but i put some rubbish down (it was so wrong), but it was only worth 3 marks. the rest i thought was ok. in the summer i panicked in the exam, ran out of time (as did most people) + got stressed about my philosophy exam in the afternoon. this time i was slightly calmer (but not that much... but i wasn't sick which was an improvement) + i was much better with my timing.

good luck everyone with the results (whenever they apear!)

lou xxx
Reply 33
Adhsur
Were you with edexcel? I think that was the only major problem I had with the p1!!

Thursday January 15th.

Enjoy.
Unregistered

Post the questions,
Reply 35
Unregistered

Put up the questions and we'll put up the answers :smile:
Reply 36
From having a look at the Edexcel site we'll get the results on 15th January (http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/59454/GCE_Nov_03.pdf point 6)

Did anyone here take Edexcel P2 today? I'm just wondering what others thought of the trig proof question (5 I think) and question 8 :smile:
Reply 37
Expression
Thursday January 15th.

Enjoy.

that's horrid! i know they got to get them marked, but surely they could get them done by christmas! they have 2 months to do the january exams, but surely there are a lot less entries for this lot (i am the only person so far who did S1 OCR- in the summer there was laods + there will be tonnes in january).... not that my moaning is going to get them marked any quicker...

lou xxx
Reply 38
Let me see if I can remember the question I couldn't answer in the P2 exam today....

I think it was

1 + tan^2 theta / 1 - tan^2 theta = cos 2 theta
Reply 39
Expression
Thursday January 15th.

Enjoy.

Thanks. At least it's a while away yet...after interview (so it won't demoralise me before I go to cambridge!)...but still *feels stomach churn* Second try now - in theory no excuses! *sob*

Latest