Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What is it with this country and penalising the (young) middle classes?
    University tuition fees that are set to rise?
    Interest rates on student loans that are increasing?
    Failing you first time on your driving test for a) statistics and b) more money?
    Speeding fines for going a few mph over the limit?
    The ones who escape the system are the ones who don’t bother with further education, who drive without licenses in other people’s cars!
    Ive just had my car broken into today (along with at least 4 others on the same stretch of road) and my stereo’s been taken. The police cant do much about it given that its so prevalent. If I get the stereo and window fixed I lose my no claims, and my insurance skyrockets. If I get the window fixed I pay £50 excess.
    This is all on the money I earn from doing two jobs to save for uni (and yes, I paid for the car and I pay for running it).
    And who’s responsible? Some skaghead most probably who’s on the dole, who’s going to sell it on for a fiver so he can snort its worth up his/her nose!
    I mean, is it me or there something a little unfair in this?

ReputationRep:
    I blame it on the Tories.

(Original post by rae)
    Failing you first time on your driving test for a) statistics and b) more money?
    The ones who escape the system are the ones who don’t bother with further education, who drive without licenses in other people’s cars!
    Ive just had my car broken into today (along with at least 4 others on the same stretch of road) and my stereo’s been taken. The police cant do much about it given that its so prevalent. If I get the stereo and window fixed I lose my no claims, and my insurance skyrockets. If I get the window fixed I pay £50 excess.
    This is all on the money I earn from doing two jobs to save for uni (and yes, I paid for the car and I pay for running it).
    And who’s responsible? Some skaghead most probably who’s on the dole, who’s going to sell it on for a fiver so he can snort its worth up his/her nose!
    I wouldnt say this behaviour is generic with the working class, which is so grossly being implied in your post.

I am a working class kid, and the only thing I aggree with you on is the top argument, that tuition fees are increasing, but because your parents earn more than 30000 a year they should be paying for it. I work very mard and my mum is on carer allowance thats about 30 pounds a week. Our income is less than 10000 a year but that doesnt make me 'some skaghead most probably who's on the dole ... snorting cocaine' does it.

Driving tests are the same for all classes, as is getting your car stolen (whn you live in a rough area and you cant get out of it due to money you get stuff nicked all the time).

You should be grateful that you are middle class and stop whinging, there are many people worse off than you.

ReputationRep:
    well said!!

(Original post by rae)
    Not an especially coherent argument, and of course you have no idea which social class the person who nicked the stereo.
    Speeding fines dont just apply to the young.
    You'd have to be a moron to write what you did about not bothering with further education and car nicking. So I assume you are.

ReputationRep:
    just to point out- cocain is a rich preson's drug...just look at all the footballers being exposed at the moment.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    in my defence
    i am working class. i will not pay tuition fees as theres no money to pay for them.
    young was in brackets as it did not apply to everything i put.
    i know the area and sincerely doubt its anyone but a junkie. why would an earner do it? i dont think he took the stereo from my car and the four others for any reason other than to sell them on.
    the whole reason im in education is to get out of the poverty trap.

(Original post by rae)
    in my defence
    i am working class. i will not pay tuition fees as theres no money to pay for them.
    young was in brackets as it did not apply to everything i put.
    i know the area and sincerely doubt its anyone but a junkie. why would an earner do it? i dont think he took the stereo from my car and the four others for any reason other than to sell them on.
    the whole reason im in education is to get out of the poverty trap.
    Funny how if you're working class (which I doubt) you decided to rant about the plight of the lower middle class isnt it?

ReputationRep:
    what else is the typical name for the law abiding people who pay their taxes?!
    do you think id be annoyed if it wasnt my back pocket the money had to come from?

(Original post by rae)
    what else is the typical name for the law abiding people who pay their taxes?!
    do you think id be annoyed if it wasnt my back pocket the money had to come from?
    Doesnt mean you're working class I'm afraid. Theres a bit more to it then that! One can be a worker without being working class.

(Original post by Unregistered)
    I am a working class kid, and the only thing I aggree with you on is the top argument, that tuition fees are increasing, but because your parents earn more than 30000 a year they should be paying for it. I work very mard and my mum is on carer allowance thats about 30 pounds a week. Our income is less than 10000 a year but that doesnt make me 'some skaghead most probably who's on the dole ... snorting cocaine' does it.
    I have to pay full tuition fees because my dad earns £31000 a year. He works at least 78 hours a week for this, often more, he is in charge of 150 staff, three fulltime emergency vehicals, and community safety work. He is currently compling a report to with the useage of CBRN vehicals. Personally I think this is pretty crap pay, and they to have to pay full fes for me to go to uni just because he earns £1000.01 too much. The fees will cost £1500.
    (and yes he works for the fire bridage)

ReputationRep:
    I think that when it comes to university fees, the middle classes come off worst. The lowest classes get financial relief, and the rich can pay for it easily, but the middle classes are deemed to earn too much for financial relif, but are too poor to pay for uni. outright.

(Original post by Unregistered)
    I have to pay full tuition fees because my dad earns £31000 a year. He works at least 78 hours a week for this, often more, he is in charge of 150 staff, three fulltime emergency vehicals, and community safety work. He is currently compling a report to with the useage of CBRN vehicals. Personally I think this is pretty crap pay, and they to have to pay full fes for me to go to uni just because he earns £1000.01 too much. The fees will cost £1500.
    (and yes he works for the fire bridage)
    How can you call over 2500 a month 'pretty crap pay' ??? My sister is in teacher training and when she finishes she will be on about 19000 a year...thats thats working for 5 years to get a degree and then a PGCE. Im sure daddy works very hard but he should be able to contribute towards your tuition fees. And besides, YOU wont have to pay bean until after you graduate, so stop your moaning.

ReputationRep:
    I personally would prefer to pay my own way for Higher Education (being as independent-minded as I am). I want to pay my way using a student loan, confident in my ability to get a decent job afterwards and manage my money so as to pay it. I don't understand why people moan about student loans, surely you should take pride in the fact that you're paying your own way for your own long-term benefit and not sponging off daddy?

ReputationRep:
    why shouldnt you pay for uni education?
    i think top up fees is a great system... i fell in the bracket which is most troublesome... forget the over 30,000 bracket.... my parents both work, so between them earn 22 thousand.... so they have to pay a proportion of my fees. they have other dependants and i feel terribly guilty about this, but i cant afford it myself. at least with the top up system you will be responsible for your own debts once you're earning. why shouldnt you pay for your education? as long as everyone can go and pay later.....

ReputationRep:
    there was an article somewhere, kant remember exactly, but had a good point.

it said that the amount a graduate gets payed after having found a job has risen by a significant amount, so it was kind of fair of top-up fees, kos, if you go to uni, graduate, get a job, then you should be able to pay for it. its kinda better than upfront.

by the way, what happens if you drop out. do you still have to pay for the time you were in uni, or does the top up fee system mean that you only pay after you graduate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    just to point out- cocain is a rich preson's drug...just look at all the footballers being exposed at the moment.

love Katy ***
    Yeah, i agree, the posh schools around my area have the highest drug rate because their mummys and daddys are rich and they get extra money for drugs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Custard)
    Yeah, i agree, the posh schools around my area have the highest drug rate because their mummys and daddys are rich and they get extra money for drugs.
    The thing is though, even though it is an expensive drug, basically anybody can pay for it whether it's through stealing or taking money from their parents.

ReputationRep:
    Whoops, misread the title, thought it said 'a dirty WORD'. Looking forward to learning a brand new profanity. Sadly I was mistaken. I'll leave now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sue123)
    The thing is though, even though it is an expensive drug, basically anybody can pay for it whether it's through stealing or taking money from their parents.
    Yes drugs are floating about our school, but it came up in a school counsil meeting and we got told about somethings...

i got neg rep for the post about posh schools. They didn't put their name. Hmm...interesting.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.