The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes I would, I don't think I'd fit in, if I didn't actually like it when I'd gone to have a look and if I'd been forced into applying there.
Reply 61
Yes, I turned mine down. Oxbridge isn't so great. Especially not for computer science, if you're into graphics and media not maths....
Cat165
But then if you missed your grades for your firm, would you not also miss the grade for your insurance?

Yes, which is the problem.

Glasgow may well go as insurance. If I get into Durham, Oxford probably won't be firm or insurance.
i would if my degree course was considered better at another university, or similar to another university and i liked the other university a lot better.
for example, i would choose LSE or UCL over OXbridge for Economics
I'm quite sure you are not allowed to put Oxbridge as an insurance.
Greatleysteg
This. I very nearly chose UCL over Oxford at the last minute.

*dies*
Reply 66
im so academic
No explanation needed for me.

I just clicked your sig, and sang the words to your song whilst the national anthem was playing from your link.

Can someone PLEASE shoot me?
Reply 67
I wouldn't apply in the first place. Academically, it would be a nice feat, however I don't think I could handle the other students. I just imagine they'd all be snobs, and frighteningly too clever for me. I know that isn't entirely true, but still, naw.
dramaminedreams

Who would? :stupid:
Creepy
I just clicked your sig, and sang the words to your song whilst the national anthem was playing from your link.

Can someone PLEASE shoot me?

:shoot: That's that done...
dramaminedreams

There's no reason why you can't in principle, but you're extremely unlikely to have a more difficult offer from another university.
Reply 71
I agree - I was relieved that I didn't get in, cos then it wouldve felt like I had to accept it even though I'd rather not...
When I went there I stayed the night and REALLY wasn't happy lol!
Fingers crossed I get into Bristol!
well surely you would if you liked another uni more? a girl i work with rejected cambridge for st andrews and my friend is planning to put durham as her firm ahead of oxford for politics!
Reply 73
Definitely - couldn't be happier with where I am.
With medicine it's very different. Oxbridge is not undoubtedly "the best", nor are you more employable/ better educated for going there. With something like, say, natsci though, I'd have accepted an offer from Cambridge without thinking twice. It depends on what course you're taking, and what you want from that course.
it depends on the subject, obviosusly i wont go to oxbridge to study land economy
Reply 76
in fairness, the OP putting 'under any circumstance' makes it almost impossible to say I'd never turn down an offer; in the case of pregnancy, sudden bereavement, alien invasion etc, obviously most people would have no choice but to turn down an oxbridge offer. But in the sens I think you mean, I see no obvious reason to turn down an offer; the process of applying is so rigourous and stressfull, I can't see why anyone would go through it if they were only half hearted about getting in.
Reply 77
dramaminedreams

The outrage of it all.
dramaminedreams

Gosh if thats true, they are so pompous!
And whats with the whole "You can only apply to Oxford OR Cambridge. Not both. They're only Universities, not holy institutions!
Reply 79
they ARE pompous - in rejection letters to my friends who actually DID NOT WANT to get in they said
'we understand this will be incredibly disappointing for you...'
...umm... well it's not!
and even 'the inevitable disappointment...'
inevitable?! what cos EVERY SINGLE PERSON wants to go?! psht...
lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending