The Student Room Group

OCR vs AQA vs Edexcel

I'm doing OCR Chemistry and I was revising it today with a friend. He said that OCR is not respected as much as AQA and is so much easier.

It's true that OCR don't have some stuff that AQA has in chemistry and biology but I wouldn't say it's easier.

Is Edexcel any more respected than OCR in the sciences? My friend OCR is only good with maths and nothing else but I beg to differ.

I asked him if someone got A* with OCR in chem, and if they were in a job interview/university and employment/entrace was only on who got the best grades; and someone else who did AQA applied also, and they a got A - who will get it?

He said the person who did AQA.

Is Edexcel a good board too? Or is viewed it as for the less able in sciences just as people view OCR.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No one cares outside the people taking them. When I go for interviews, they don't ask "so, I see you got A level Physics, is that OCR, Edexcel or AQA? OCR? Brilliant! If you'd said Edexcel I'd have sent you away".
Reply 2
all of them are bastards!!
I hate Edexcel - you can't get bloody past papers, protective idiots :mad:
CIE > All
Reply 5
I don't think the board matters as much anymore as it used to. But I did read in the paper that AQA was attacked by the government and exam people for having really difficult science exams. Whether that was because of advanced scientific content or the completely obscure questions (I did it last year) I dont know.

Oh crap is this for A levels? I was talking about GCSE's, if so disregard what I just said
Depends on the type of spec they give I suppose. Otherwise, I'm not that bothered.

It is annoying that Edexcel don't put past papers online though :rolleyes:
Well I'm doing OCR GCSE Science and OCR GCSE Additional Science and I can tell you it is the biggest load of ******** ever. Such a diluted syllabus. Though I must admit, their modular maths course is really good :yep:

Can't comment on the other boards as I have no experience of them.
Reply 8
No-one cares.

Because:
1) Normally you have no choice what exam board your on, so to discriminate would be stupid.
2) You don't even mention exam boards to employers :confused: Just say "A level".
3) Who knows about different exam boards?
4) There's little difference between the specs anyway.

So to sum up:

Just no.
iwilson03
I was talking about GCSE's, if so disregard what I just said

No, I actually have to agree on this part.

iwilson03
completely obscure questions

I hate them for it last year. I was taking a pratice paper on it, because OCR hasn't got any as of now and there was a question that was so confusing. I checked the markscheme and I knew what it was and I could have easily gotten it if they phrased it better.
beesbees
No-one cares.

Because:
1) Normally you have no choice what exam board your on, so to discriminate would be stupid.
2) You don't even mention exam boards to employers :confused: Just say "A level".
3) Who knows about different exam boards?
4) There's little difference between the specs anyway.

So to sum up:

Just no.

Yeah...but universities care what exam board you go on. Even if you do have a better score than rival applicants.
Reply 11
im so academic
I hate Edexcel - you can't get bloody past papers, protective idiots :mad:

https://eiewebvip.edexcel.org.uk/pastpapers/

Enter your schools centre number.
Reply 12
Which is better at A Level Physics? I've noticed the top schools near by all use OCR Maths, but when it comes to Physics, some use AQA instead. I'm studying at home, so want to know which has the least practical componants?
Reply 13
I hate OCR, 1 word not mentioned in their exams and you've lost the mark even if u were right and knew what u were talking about

I got a D cuz of this where i would have got a B
That's bull.

Sure, AQA might be *slightly* more difficult in terms of content, but an A* on OCR is worth just as much as an A* on AQA.

One could say AQA is actually easier because the mark schemes are a hell of alot more flexible than OCR and especially Edexcel.
purplefrog
Well I'm doing OCR GCSE Science and OCR GCSE Additional Science and I can tell you it is the biggest load of ******** ever. Such a diluted syllabus. Though I must admit, their modular maths course is really good :yep:

Can't comment on the other boards as I have no experience of them.

I'll have to agree with this about OCR 21st century science, it took me 30-60 minutes to revise for each exam . . .
Reply 16
AQA all the way.

OCR are like the nazi regime of exam boards - they're all out to standardise everything by feeding kids facts that they can then regurgitate onto an exam paper.

This is especially harmful to GCSE kids because it discourages them from thinking for themselves and applying their knowledge at A level - a major fail when it comes to taking most A2 examinations (English, Psychology etc)

AQA on the other hand encourage you to think outside the box, which is a good thing :smile:
Really dislike OCR, unreasonably harsh marking as people have said on here. Never had a problem with AQA.
Reply 18
I really REALLY dislike OCR. Like poster above, if youve missed one word thats not even that important you don't get the mark. And they mark so poorly. I wrote an equation using words as it was a 3marker talking about quality of written communication, and I got no marks even though i got the question right?!
I should have taken AQA physics as I still like the subject, HATE the exam board though! :smile:
Reply 19
i am sorry but AQA IS CRAP FOR BIOLOGY A2 !!!

Quick Reply

Latest