The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Alot of Irish people say they 'hate the brits' but I think this is just a show.
Apagg
My history's not that good, but we didn't we exacerbate the potato famine and then feed the Irish on horsefeed? (low quality oats)

youre talking about them as though they were animals or something.
Reply 42
roxy potter
Okay Irish language thing, I'm talking about long before the 1800's. Back in a time when, no, it really wasn't an advantage for my ancestors to know english, it didn't make much of a difference.I know who runs the education system in Ireland having been brought up on it. Another advantage of this education is that I learnt Irish History.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantations_of_Ireland

These are the plantations that I'm talking about. They were the ones that seriously oppressed the Irish people done by the British. I'm not blaming the British for the concept of property, I am blaming them for taking what belonged to Irish people. And I realise that that can go back forever because the property wasn't anyones to begin with, but obviously I'm going to resent people taking things from my people.

I don't hold a grudge, but I do have a serious problem with people who say these things didn't happen.

dear god all this stuff is about 400 years old I simply don't get how it can still be getting brought up in topical conversations!
Do you still hear the Scots complaining about the highland clearances or do you think any British people hate the Irish for being Nazi Sympathising cowards during the war?
No so what is it about the Irish that creates such a deep seated sense of resentment in comparsion to wales or Scoltand say?

I just don't get it
usrhlp

Ergo, if the irish hate the brits they hate themselves :lol:

I love irony.

:confused: what the Irish are Irish ,not british ,so how can they 'hate themselves'? Ireland did exist before Britain invaded you know.
Reply 44
up above
dear god all this stuff is about 400 years old I simply don't get how it can still be getting brought up in topical conversations!
Do you still hear the Scots complaining about the highland clearances or do you think any British people hate the Irish for being Nazi Sympathising cowards during the war?
No so what is it about the Irish that creates such a deep seated sense of resentment in comparsion to wales or Scoltand say?

I just don't get it

You'd like to think so, however, surprisingly I must say, I've found a lot of British people say this, including some members of the English side of my family.

Maybe the treatment Irish people or even people of even Irish extraction recieve. Having people shouting "No Surrender" at you isn't exactly conducive to good relations.
I DONT AGREE WITH THIS VIDEO,BUT I KNOW THE PERSON WHO MADE IT . I think it's funny actually. Lol!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoElnaY7U3c&feature=related
Reply 46
I don't think we care anymore. We might enjoy telling how rubbish times were under British rule but everyones gotten over that.
Besides, last time I heard Rep. of Ireland had a higher GDP per capita than the UK. Good enough reason to tell them how awesome we are now.

I know my aunt, who lives in Northern Ireland. She's an old woman and still has some anti-British feels. But thats slightly different.
up above

I just don't get it

:rolleyes: Huge generalisation and many Irishmen volunteered to fight in both Spain and WW2.

EDIT: Near 100,000 Irishmen fought in WW2: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3749629.stm
up above
Nazi Sympathising cowards during the war?

I just don't get it

thats ironic!(because of the video)
Reply 49
I certainly don't hate the British. Generally a decent and tolerant group in my experience.
My parents are both Irish but moved to England (better jobs), we go to Ireland pretty often.
In the North of Northen Ireland and in the South of "free" Ireland no-one seems to bother about Brits, but on the border it gets a bit iffy because that's were the Troubles were worst.
I've never met anyone who cared about history 400 years old, but maybe some use it as an excuse for a bit of zenophobia, which, lets face it, can be quite fun :smile:
Reply 51
i lived in ireland for 11 years, n now here since 2003...and nobody realli cared bout brits lmao when i was moving the main point my friends were drilling into me was to not become a posh snob and start saying 'baaaath' lmao..
but if ireland v england in footie..ima support ma paddys! :biggrin:
My uncle in Ireland seems to know everything about the easter rising and stuff but he doesn't hold a grudge at all, he just sees it as part of the country's history. and he's too nice XD
Reply 53
pdcj25
You'd like to think so, however, surprisingly I must say, I've found a lot of British people say this, including some members of the English side of my family.

Maybe the treatment Irish people or even people of even Irish extraction recieve. Having people shouting "No Surrender" at you isn't exactly conducive to good relations.

Really? oh well not really an advert for British good manners or diplomacy then is it really.
I would like to point out that I was not saying I thought the Irish nazi sympathesisers (my father is Irish) but was putting it up as a counter example to try and show how ridiculous I find the Irish using historical evidence from beyond living memory. However if British people do indeed say this, it obviously makes this counter arguement invalid as well as shocking me.

Obviously this was not clear enough as proved by these two posts
Huge generalisation and many Irishmen volunteered to fight in both Spain and WW2.

EDIT: Near 100,000 Irishmen fought in WW2: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3749629.stm

thats ironic!(because of the video)

though frankly I don't see how as I do say that I didn't think that any British person would actually ever use that arguement just as I don't think any Scottish people would use the highland clearances as an excuse to hate the English.
Reply 54
I don't hold a grudge with British people, only the louts who like to bring it up when they know nothing about any part of the matter. Maybe it's just Teesside????
Nalced
I don't think we care anymore. We might enjoy telling how rubbish times were under British rule but everyones gotten over that.

Exactly!

Most people feel like that, I've just being trying to point out where the feelings of resentment have been coming from.

up above

I'm not using it to justify resentment of the British right now, I'm just using it as an illustration of where the resentment stemmed from.

As to the Nazi symathising cowards comment, 1) Many Irish people fought in that war as has already been pointed out 2) We're allowed to be Neutral if we want to be.
rajandkwameali
When the Republic of Ireland was part of the UK, the British government didn't treat it well. For this reason, do Irish people hate the British?

in the title i meant to write "for past injustices committed by the UK government"

Of course, it's not cool to make generalizations, but I have met some Irish people who are pretty angry towards the British, or at least the stalwart British nationalists.
Reply 57
bansheeee*
Alot of Irish people say they 'hate the brits' but I think this is just a show.

This is it really.
Yeah we say it all the time. It's not true at all. I love living in England!
Coming from a through and through Irish family, I see no resentment towards Britain whatsoever, apart from when the Rugby gets turned on :P

Latest

Trending

Trending