Turn on thread page Beta

What are the job prospects for having a Masters Physics Degree From Oxford? watch

ReputationRep:
    What are the job prospects for having a Masters Physics Degree From Oxford? what jobs could you go into, and which ones that will earn good money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BABYGUY)
    What are the job prospects for having a Masters Physics Degree From Oxford? what jobs could you go into, and which ones that will earn good money?
    Pretty much anything!!! If you wanted stay working within science though apparently there are good research and funding opportunities in the US which are highly competitive but worth getting, and an Oxford degree is very highly respected over there. However, don't just do something because it pays well.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

PS When you say 'masters' do you mean an MPhil or just an undergraduate Oxford masters???

(Original post by hildabeast)
    Pretty much anything!!! If you wanted stay working within science though apparently there are good research and funding opportunities in the US which are highly competitive but worth getting, and an Oxford degree is very highly respected over there. However, don't just do something because it pays well.

PS When you say 'masters' do you mean an MPhil or just an undergraduate Oxford masters???
    Undergraduate Oxford masters? You mean u get a masters from Oxford as well as a BA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    Undergraduate Oxford masters? You mean u get a masters from Oxford as well as a BA?
    Yes. Seven years after you matriculate you can pay the university £20 and 'buy' a masters. Your BA becomes updated to MA (Oxon).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    you get a masters if you do the 4 year MPhys course. If you do a 3 year course (which almost nobody does) you get a BSc

ReputationRep:
    Yup that too, but only for certain subjects (esp the sciences).

ReputationRep:
    yes, i emant the 4 year course that gets you a masters. what are the job propsects if you got a 1st class masters degree from physics? are there jobs that have good pay? is it a useful degree to have?

ReputationRep:
    yes, i emant the 4 year course that gets you a masters. what are the job propsects if you got a 1st class masters degree from physics? are there jobs that have good pay? is it a useful degree to have?
    I heard that city work will be very good, with your skills at analysing random, chaotic data and looking for hidden patterns among the stock market.

ReputationRep:
    what sort of jobs and pay do people who get masters physics degrees from oxford get? is it good?

Mate, you havnt had you A level results back yet. Dont start dreaming about 1st class masters degrees from oxford it will only dissapoint you when you dont get it.

ReputationRep:
    but i will get it though.

ReputationRep:
    Hah. First Class? Oxbridge.
    Trust me. Wait until your GCSEs results.

BTW, did you get like 10A*s at GCSE?
    What were your GCSE grades? Any Top Candidate Awards in Maths or Physics?

(Original post by Buzfvar)
    Hah. First Class? Oxbridge.
    Trust me. Wait until your GCSEs results.

BTW, did you get like 10A*s at GCSE?
    What were your GCSE grades? Any Top Candidate Awards in Maths or Physics?
    Mate Im applying to cambridge with 4A*s and I know of plenty of people who got in with less than that at GCSE so dont make it seem that impossible.

ReputationRep:
    I Got 6 A Stars And 4 A's At Gcse. I Think I Am Capable Of Getting Into Oxford To Do Physics, Considering There Is Like A 48% Success Ratio. I Am Also Not A Geek Or A Nurd And I Have A Personality, So That, Along With My Intelligence And Interest To Do Physics Will Stand Me In Good Stead.

I Got 6 A Stars And 4 A's At Gcse. I Think I Am Capable Of Getting Into Oxford To Do Physics, Considering There Is Like A 48% Success Ratio. I Am Also Not A Geek Or A Nurd And I Have A Personality, So That, Along With My Intelligence And Interest To Do Physics Will Stand Me In Good Stead.
    They are looking for geeks, not people with a social life or a personality. Geeks are more likely to concentrate on their work and get the department high scores. Think about that babyguy...wot did u get for AS level and what were you module scores?

ReputationRep:
    i didnt say i had a social life, i just said that i dont appear as a geek, but i do work very hard and my social life isnt that much. i get very good grades i beleive, and my intelligence and hard work reflect that. i dont go out and get pissed every night, its very occassional, if at all. i have some friends, but i do work ahrd. i got double award A star for science, and my physics percentage for GCSE was the highest in the whole year. and that was in a top comprehensive school. and if i get into oxford which i think i will do, there is no reason why i cant get a first class in masters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    I heard that city work will be very good, with your skills at analysing random, chaotic data and looking for hidden patterns among the stock market.
    it would be a terrible waste of physics skills to end up in the city money-grubbing after graduation. a true scientist goes into research!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    it would be a terrible waste of physics skills to end up in the city money-grubbing after graduation. a true scientist goes into research!
    a true scientist builds a death ray and bribes the UN into giving him/her a million bajillion squillion dollars or else *dr evil laugh*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    and be paid nothing for it

or move to the US

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    a true scientist builds a death ray and bribes the UN into giving him/her a million bajillion squillion dollars or else *dr evil laugh*
    lol the UN has hardly any cash (especially as the US is so reticient about paying its dues to it). youd be better off bribing microsoft; say youll turn your death-ray on bill gates house or something in blackmail lol

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.