Universities biased to different classes

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Goat
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
It has been said that some unis offer lower offers (or are more likely to give you an offer) if you're from a less advantaged background.

How do they know this though? I know there is stuff like the CSAS but that is only for extreme cases, so in general how do unis know if you are upper/middle/working class etc.?
BABYGUY
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
accent, by asking you questions, by seing what school and area you come from?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Goat)
It has been said that some unis offer lower offers (or are more likely to give you an offer) if you're from a less advantaged background.

How do they know this though? I know there is stuff like the CSAS but that is only for extreme cases, so in general how do unis know if you are upper/middle/working class etc.?
If you want to be considered under special access (if the uni has a scheme) you let your school know. It's not only low income that determines disadvantage - no previous experience of uni in family, serious illness of applicant, coming from a low achieving school or one where not many go onto higher education. All of these are considered a disadvantage and can be taken into consideration by universities on making any offers.
P.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
If you want to be considered under special access (if the uni has a scheme) you let your school know. It's not only low income that determines disadvantage - no previous experience of uni in family, serious illness of applicant, coming from a low achieving school or one where not many go onto higher education. All of these are considered a disadvantage and can be taken into consideration by universities on making any offers.
P.
Im from a poor family but I will get no extra recognition than a rich person going to the same school as me.

I think state school kids should have lower offers because with less money being spent on resources, their potential isnt being stretched like it is at private schools.
Goat
(Original post by BABYGUY)
accent, by asking you questions, by seing what school and area you come from?
Middle class people were complaining that Bristol was more leniant towards working class, and Bristol dont interview very much. And I doubt many people use their personal statement for writing about how disadvantaged they are.

I would imagine its usually just based on school and area?
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 17 years ago
I think that Nottingham and a few other Uni's have been shown to use the average A2 score for your college/school compared to those that you are predicted to decide if you have more potential than your backgound suggests. Other than this, I imagine that they base a any bias on the area in which you live.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Goat)
Middle class people were complaining that Bristol was more leniant towards working class, and Bristol dont interview very much. And I doubt many people use their personal statement for writing about how disadvantaged they are.

I would imagine its usually just based on school and area?
As I said before, let your school know if you want to apply under special consideration and they will do the necessary. There is absolutely no need, nor I imagine, would anyone want to discuss their request for special consideration in their person statement. Unis have access to performance of schools when the results come out and they can easily check things like how many went onto HE and what was the average A level score of a given school. From this they can judge whether you are exceptional within your peer group.
Regarding Bristol, it was Independent school heads that complained about Bristol giving lower offers to their students not 'middle classes'. Bristol do interview all those they think are suitably qualified after weeding out those who have no hope of an offer. Offers made to those who are meritous will often be lower, not because the uni thinks they won't get top grades but to encourage the student to make Bristol their 'firm' or'insurance' choice.
P.
Goat
As I said before, let your school know if you want to apply under special consideration and they will do the necessary. There is absolutely no need, nor I imagine, would anyone want to discuss their request for special consideration in their person statement. Unis have access to performance of schools when the results come out and they can easily check things like how many went onto HE and what was the average A level score of a given school. From this they can judge whether you are exceptional within your peer group.
Regarding Bristol, it was Independent school heads that complained about Bristol giving lower offers to their students not 'middle classes'. Bristol do interview all those they think are suitably qualified after weeding out those who have no hope of an offer. Offers made to those who are meritous will often be lower, not because the uni thinks they won't get top grades but to encourage the student to make Bristol their 'firm' or'insurance' choice.
P.
Yeah sorry you're right it was independant school over private schools not working class over middle class. My memory was hazy.

For the record Bristol definately do make offers without interviewing!

Where do you think grammar schools fit in? Are they just classed as independant or does it depend on the particular school?
Vienna
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Im from a poor family but I will get no extra recognition than a rich person going to the same school as me.
whats wrong with that?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Goat)
Yeah sorry you're right it was independant school over private schools not working class over middle class. My memory was hazy.

For the record Bristol definately do make offers without interviewing!

Where do you think grammar schools fit in? Are they just classed as independant or does it depend on the particular school?
You're right also that Bristol do make offers without interviewing - usually heavily oversubscribed departments such as History. However, if they are thinking of making a lower offer to particuar candidates they will interview to ascertain whether the applicant is serious about going to their uni.
As for grammar schools, that will be the same as non-selectives I imagine, depending on whether student is exceptional within their cohort. If the results are better at the school then the student has to get better results than the school's average as evidence that they are exceptional.
P.
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
coming from a low achieving school
I'm advantageous just because I came from a crap secondary school? Namely New College Leicester.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
I'm advantageous just because I came from a crap secondary school? Namely New College Leicester.
Ow - New College, rough!

What year are you? What are you studying?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
If you achive much higher than the average point score/A level (55 points a high E) then certain universities (Bristol and Edinburgh and to some extent Nottingham) will take that into account when considering your application.
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
What year are you? What are you studying?
Currently not in New College, thank god... That was all history..

If you achive much higher than the average point score/A level (55 points a high E) then certain universities (Bristol and Edinburgh and to some extent Nottingham) will take that into account when considering your application.
Predicted for 5 As in A'level. Holding a distinction in Maths AEA from this June.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Currently not in New College, thank god... That was all history..

Predicted for 5 As in A'level. Holding a distinction in Maths AEA from this June.
The consideration takes into account the school/college where you are studying *when you apply* not your previous schooling...find out your current college/school's A level average here
SaeedRehman
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
The consideration takes into account the school/college where you are studying *when you apply* not your previous schooling...find out your current college/school's A level average here
my college has average 62 points , terrible isnt it?
emom100
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
mine was 65.... what does that mean? I noticed the local private school had something like 100 though.

going back to the quesiton of offers. I have spoke to some people at my uni and there is discrepcies of offers depending on what school you went to. For instance my offer was Abb but there is a girl in my class from a good boarding school that had an offer of AAA
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
My school has 91, what does that actually mean, though?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
My school has 91, what does that actually mean, though?
That means the average a level grade that people achieve at your school is halfway between a B and a C

My school has an average of 75.9 , which is quite suprising for me really because i dont think its that good. Its below a C, but still, my school is awful. I wonder how others with like in the 60's above cope at their school :s
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
The national average is 76 points, which is just below a C
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (78)
11.91%
Virtual campus tours/open days (159)
24.27%
Live streaming events (52)
7.94%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (59)
9.01%
A uni comparison tool (153)
23.36%
An in-person event when available (154)
23.51%