Universities biased to different classes

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
My school has 91, what does that actually mean, though?
Since last year the points scoring formula for A levels changed from 10 for A, 8 for B etc. to 120 for A, 100 for B and so on. The formula is total points score per school divided by number of candidates taking exams.
In essence what it means at uni application stage is that those who come from a school with high average point score will be treated less favourably than those from school with lower average point score, but only if individual applicants score was substantially higher than average of cohort.
P.
Soulfish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
So how would we work out our average as/a-level score and compare it to our schools average score?
According to the league table my college has an average of 71.6
mjg
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
im middle class and i didnt get into uni last year bit i dont complain bout being discriminated against!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
120 = A
100 = B
80 = C
60 = D
40 = E
Soulfish
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
For some reason I couldn't get my head around the idea of the colleges average points score being based on the UCAS tariffic system.
I blame the 2 maths exams I've sat today
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
My [grammar] school has a score of 93.1 and I'm upper-middle class in a fairly average South-West area. Does this basically mean I'm probably going to need to get AAA?
Goat
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
My [grammar] school has a score of 93.1 and I'm upper-middle class in a fairly average South-West area. Does this basically mean I'm probably going to need to get AAA?
I think they offer the standard offer (as in the prospectus) normally, but they will reduce it if you are from a bad school/area.

So no unless your applying for a course where you normally need AAA.
Camford
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
:confused: My college is ranked in the 1100 area and has a score around 73-6. Is it because of student like me who can't remember anything that has made the college in it's current state?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Goat)
I think they offer the standard offer (as in the prospectus) normally, but they will reduce it if you are from a bad school/area.

So no unless your applying for a course where you normally need AAA.
And it's only Bristol and Edinburgh who have a policy of looking at college average compared to your predictions...all the other uni's don't bother.

And even at Bristol and Edinburgh it's only really used as a deciding factor in the very competetive courses (Law, History, English, Psychology, Med, Vetinary, Dentistry etc - less popular courses like Sciences, Engineering, Modern Languages and courses not generally available at A level are likely to take any good students they can get - even if they get CCC and their college average is BBB)
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
:confused: My college is ranked in the 1100 area and has a score around 73-6. Is it because of student like me who can't remember anything that has made the college in it's current state?
That's not a bad average at all. The average for Kent (wholly selective) is only 76.4 against England average of 76.0. When you remove figures of AVCE etc. their score is substantially below England average.
You have to take into account the ability range of the pupils when they first went to the school and by how much value has been added. If you consider say a secondary modern whose pupils are poorly motivated, have no parental support and are generally considered failures even before they start, who then achieve an average point score of say 70, they have done exceptionally well to overcome all these obstacles.
P.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (536)
51.05%
No (514)
48.95%

Watched Threads