This discussion is closed.
Buzfvar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Hi!
In AS-Level, any know the format of the new pratical exams in the sciences? [AQA].
Like how long you get for doing the experiment, writing up etc. ?
Is the doing and the writing up all done in big block, or do u get a set time for doing and a set time for writing etc. so if u are slow worker in doing, but great at the concluding / evaluating etc. etc. u can get the marks etc. ?

Anyone know what the pratical exams are like in the sciences? Hard? Easy? The school says it is easier than GCSE but that has got be *******s!

Thanks for ANY information.... I'm getting rather concerned and scared that I'll mess up my pratical exam... [I'm okay for exams and stuff, praticals muck me up].
Cheers
-Sharp-
Report 17 years ago
wELL PRACTICAL MEANS U DONT HAVE 2 WRITE! I think lol so there you go you dont have 2 write its gonna b easy! its like P.E without the balls! lol
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Buzfvar)
Hi!
In AS-Level, any know the format of the new pratical exams in the sciences? [AQA].
Like how long you get for doing the experiment, writing up etc. ?
Is the doing and the writing up all done in big block, or do u get a set time for doing and a set time for writing etc. so if u are slow worker in doing, but great at the concluding / evaluating etc. etc. u can get the marks etc. ?

Anyone know what the pratical exams are like in the sciences? Hard? Easy? The school says it is easier than GCSE but that has got be *******s!

Thanks for ANY information.... I'm getting rather concerned and scared that I'll mess up my pratical exam... [I'm okay for exams and stuff, praticals muck me up].
Cheers
It's quite out of date (ie from 1997) but my practical physics exam lasted an hour. Various apparatus (or is it apparati?) were set up throughout the room and myself and the other physics student went round each one. I think there were 5 or 6 so we had 10 minutes on each one. Took some readings, plotted them graphically and answered some questions (using basic formulae which were mainly given). The instructions were extremely clear and we both found it to be a complete doddle (especially compared to coursework)...although to be honest our teacher had been making us each do a practical experiment every friday for 2 yrs and we were totally familiar with all the equipment (including the evil spectrometer) and reading vernier scales etc etc so we were probably at a good advantage when it came to the exam.

Does that help? If not there should be more detailed/specific information on the exam board websites.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I'm doing my chemistry now, its for the Slaters OCR course, others will be different. Its an individual investigation where everyone has to make up there own question/topic. We have to do a detailed plan, and work out how we are doing everything, technique makeing solutions up etc. I handed that in yesterday (10 pages) and I'm doing the riska ssesment now. The practicle work will be spread out over a few weeks but should atke about 20 hours. We then have to do all the graphs, calculations etc. Write up the results and conclusion and do an evalution working out percentage errors, evaluate the accuracy of the results, etc. Different boards will obviously be different, but I would have thought that they should al be similar, but whatever board yu do it with it WILL involving a fair amount of writng and explaining why you are doing everything.

Hope this helps.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
I'm doing my chemistry now, its for the Slaters OCR course, others will be different. Its an individual investigation where everyone has to make up there own question/topic. We have to do a detailed plan, and work out how we are doing everything, technique makeing solutions up etc. I handed that in yesterday (10 pages) and I'm doing the riska ssesment now. The practicle work will be spread out over a few weeks but should atke about 20 hours. We then have to do all the graphs, calculations etc. Write up the results and conclusion and do an evalution working out percentage errors, evaluate the accuracy of the results, etc. Different boards will obviously be different, but I would have thought that they should al be similar, but whatever board yu do it with it WILL involving a fair amount of writng and explaining why you are doing everything.

Hope this helps.
Ummm - that's a coursework assignment (albeit a practical one) - not an exam....the way to tell the difference is in whether you are allowed to take the work home with you and work on it outside of school hours.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I know what you are saying but our exam board call it a practicle, our teacher has to mark as all on our practicle technique as welll, making up standard solutions etc.
GEEZER
Report 17 years ago
My Physics Practical Was Hard We Didnt Get No Practical Experience Threw Out My Year 12 Physics Course And Then All Of A Sudden We Had To Do These Complicated Practical Which We Had No Clue About Secondly Our Physics Teacher Left In The Beginning Of The Course And Thus Our Deputy Chairman Had To Teach Us Physics Which He Had No Clue About Totally Flopped Physics Practical
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (72)
12.24%
Virtual campus tours/open days (142)
24.15%
Live streaming events (51)
8.67%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.35%
A uni comparison tool (137)
23.3%
An in-person event when available (131)
22.28%