Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Some of you may realise an increasing tendancy by companies to send spyware / adware to your PC totally without your knowledge.

Whilst originally these programmes just innundated us with pop-ups they are now becoming more advanced and more irritating.

The latest problem I have encountered is that despite my best efforts my homepage is constantly reset to a phoney search engine that is nothing more than an advertisment in disquise.

Despite running SPYBOT And ADAWARE I cannot get this to shift and yes, I have deleted all offline content etc...

Does anyone out there know how to remedy this problem and prevent future similair occurances. I run spybot / adaware every 2 - 3 days and it always picks up new stuff that has been put onto my system by stealth. Personally I am fed up with this and it really ruins my enjoyment of the whole internet experience.

ReputationRep:
    will talk 2 u on msn if u really need help.

ReputationRep:
    yeah these nasty little things really annoy me. For instance, a crap search engine called Internet Optimizer has installed itslef onto my machine. Even though i uninstalled it, it is still there, and redirects me to their site every time you get a web address wrong. I have looked in the Programs directory and stuff but kant find it. I don't have a specific answer, but try looking in the Program Files directory. you could also get a free firewall like Sygate Personal Firewall or ZoneAlarm to see when these websites communicate with ur comp to download new sheit.

One day im gonna slap these stupid companies, and if i don't, some court ruling will!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Some of you may realise an increasing tendancy by companies to send spyware / adware to your PC totally without your knowledge.

Whilst originally these programmes just innundated us with pop-ups they are now becoming more advanced and more irritating.

The latest problem I have encountered is that despite my best efforts my homepage is constantly reset to a phoney search engine that is nothing more than an advertisment in disquise.

Despite running SPYBOT And ADAWARE I cannot get this to shift and yes, I have deleted all offline content etc...

Does anyone out there know how to remedy this problem and prevent future similair occurances. I run spybot / adaware every 2 - 3 days and it always picks up new stuff that has been put onto my system by stealth. Personally I am fed up with this and it really ruins my enjoyment of the whole internet experience.
    have you done tools -> internet options -> home page address?

ReputationRep:
    start, run, "regedit"

HKLM \ software \ microsoft \ windows \ currentversion \ run

in there are one or more auto start keys for programs that you dont want, delete them.

if the problem still occurs then ur in trouble, try adware after, and update it

ReputationRep:
    Simply running regedit and removing the things in run will not solve all the problem. At the same time it may also cause unnecessary scares to a non-techie user. I remember there was a spyware named csrss.exe and it is installed in windows system directory. It doesn't need any entries in the registry because that is a very important service. To use windows, csrss has to be running. Whenever you start your computer, it executes both of the csrss.exe.

There's good program called Hijackthis. Can't remember where you can get if from now. But it is pretty good at identifying these *****y stuff. Recommand it.

ReputationRep:
    oh and AdAware can't see the CSRSS.EXE problem. In any case if it is the CSRSS problem, DO NOT DELETE ANY OF THE TWO YOURSELF.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)

Hmm... this could well be due to an authorised BHO (Browser Helper Object) having been installed by some invasive piece of software. These allow program writers to write programs which have tight integration with IE, however they can be used maliciously to cause problems such as you've been experiencing. See http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,2023,00.asp for details of a useful utility for dealing with them.

If you know what you are doing, you could also try Start -> Run and enter msconfig. Under the 'Startup' tab, this utility allows you to control what applications are loaded automatically by Windows when it boots. Unwanted programs can be stopped from loading here (however if it were BHOs etc. you were dealing with, this would have no effect as BHOs etc. are loaded automatically by IE each time it is loaded).

Also, a temporary fix if you really can't find which program is modifying your home page each time is this. Set the home page to the site you want and then in Regedit, navigate to this key: HKEY CURRENT USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft \Internet Explorer\Control
    Panel. In the right-hand pane, right-click the "HomePage" value (create it if it is not there), then select Modify. Change it to 01 00 00 00. Now when you reboot, any malicious programs etc. will not be able to change the home page (unless of course they have code built in to reset the above registry value, which hopefully they won't).

I hope this helps,

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.